farangs as housemasters

As you are  no doubt aware you cannot own the land that the house sits on.

Assuming that you can obtain official documentation which states that you own the house -then you can  apply for a house book at your local Amphur.

Since you are not Thai then you will be issued with a Yellow book.

The benefits of having such a book are very limited

Understand the House book is not proof of ownership, only a registration of the allocated address and a record of people living at that address.

A foreigner cannot be named in a Blue House book, unless he has PR status.

Foreigners can obtain and be named in a Yellow House book.

Whether you could be described as the 'House Master' (Jao Baan) in a book depends on the circumstances. Usually you would be described as a 'a dweller' (Poo Assai)

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

OP has commenced with an incorrect or misleading premise. A farang can own a house here. The farang cannot own the land it sits on.

He asked about being named in a Tabien Baan, which is totally separate to ownership of house or land.

2 hours ago, IraqRon said:

As a foreigner can own a house here, can they also get the house book in their name? This is not referring to condos, houses only.  What would be the procedure to do so? 

A foreigner can be named in a yellow version of the blue Tabian Baan only.

You need to apply at your local Amphoe. They will tell you what they require.

1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:

He asked about being named in a Tabien Baan, which is totally separate to ownership of house or land.

He said " As a foreigner can own a house here". What part of that statement don't you understand?

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

He said " As a foreigner can own a house here". What part of that statement don't you understand?

And?

A foreigner can own a house in Thailand.

A Blue Tabien Baan will be issued for the house address, but the foreigner can't be named in it.

The foreigner can obtain a Yellow house book though, in which he can be named.

10 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

If you lease land, you can own the house you build on it.
The fact that you cannot own land does not mean that you cannot own a house.

3 minutes ago, Jonah Tenner said:

At any time, you can be told by the owner(s) of the land to remove your house from their land. If you are comfortable with that concept of "ownership", bully for you.

At any time, you can be told by the owner(s) of the land to remove your house from their land. If you are comfortable with that concept of "ownership", bully for you.

Why building a house using a modular container principle might be a good idea :-) ... easier to move if need be

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

34 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

No they can’t if you’re protected by a lease. They can only remove you once the lease ends.

52 minutes ago, Jonah Tenner said:

How bizarre is that?

All they have to do is lock the front gate

And they do..on many an occasion.

The whole thread is hilarious. It's too funny that in 2019 after so many examples to the contrary Farang is still convinced he owns a house in Thailand.

I'd rather buy a house made of LEGO. At least it's mine and can sell it for a profit when it goes out of print.

2 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Jonah Tenner mentioned "lease" in the post you replied to. We are discussing leasehold property that you legally own. Capiche?

No we ain't and you don't legally own "leased" property.

You and a million other so called expats have surely grasped that?

Or are you still trying to sell condos and used Toyota utes in Thailand?

Anyway..I am done with you.

17 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

No we ain't and you don't legally own "leased" property.

Property Lease in Thailand

Thailand Property

As foreigners cannot claim ownership over land as freehold, the preferred method of acquiring land is through leasehold.

A foreigner can safely acquire the right to use the land and register the right for a maximum lease term of 30-year lease at the Land Department.

Leases for more than 3 years are able to be registered at the Land Office, which will then further protect your interest in the house, as it becomes an encumbrance.

The foreigner can construct a house on the land if the lease agreement permits. The construction permit must be applied for in the name of the foreigner and subsequently the foreigner will own the structure in his/her own name.

https://www.siam-legal.com/realestate/Leases.php

5 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Property Lease in Thailand

Thailand Property

As foreigners cannot claim ownership over land as freehold, the preferred method of acquiring land is through leasehold.

A foreigner can safely acquire the right to use the land and register the right for a maximum lease term of 30-year lease at the Land Department.

Leases for more than 3 years are able to be registered at the Land Office, which will then further protect your interest in the house, as it becomes an encumbrance.

The foreigner can construct a house on the land if the lease agreement permits. The construction permit must be applied for in the name of the foreigner and subsequently the foreigner will own the structure in his/her own name.

https://www.siam-legal.com/realestate/Leases.php

That's right donut-the "lease" is for 30 years.

Only the house is owned by the foreigner.

Pretty useless..when the land isn't

Is it the same as in your country-presuming that you are a foreigner?

No..I thought not-Please practice your fence climbing....and don't forget the Thai pussy cats.

16 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

No..I thought not-Please practice your fence climbing....and don't forget the Thai pussy cats.

Leases and Usufructs can be for the duration of life, but I'll digress, the topic was about a foreigner being named in a Tabien Baan, not the merits of land ownership.

4 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Leases and Usufructs can be for the duration of life, but I'll digress, the topic was about a foreigner being named in a Tabien Baan, not the merits of land ownership.

We all know about the yellow book..and the pink ID-I have them both sitting in front of me.

Don't get me started on the 1015 topics on TVF about usufructs and leases..

Just keep practicing to climb over the fence...or..ask yourself..

"Would I be stupid enough to do this in my own country?"

(Public disclaimer-I was certainly stupid enough to do it in Wonderland)

46 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

That’s only what we’ve been saying.

You said the foreigner doesn’t own the house. You’re wrong.

37 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Yes. You can own leasehold property in the UK too, but with longer leases and often a right to renew.

I’m not advocating leasehold ownership in Thailand, just proving your opinion wrong.

6 minutes ago, elviajero said:

That’s only what we’ve been saying.

You said the foreigner doesn’t own the house. You’re wrong.

Yes. You can own leasehold property in the UK too, but with longer leases and often a right to renew.

I’m not advocating leasehold ownership in Thailand, just proving your opinion wrong.

No you aren't-keep climbing the fence.

All you have said has been said a million times.

It reminds me of the opening scenes in the Wizard of OZ.

So..once again..can you OWN the land your house is built on in Thailand?

1 hour ago, Odysseus123 said:

It seems like an excellent idea to me i.e obtain 30 year lease and build-or buy into MooBahn when the company route seems 'dodgy'

This is only going to work for somebody 65 years of age and up.You have to fairly certain that you will not live to 96

Probably appeal to those who wish to keep domestic pets and hate condo life.

It will no doubt be expensive -however if the money is no object -and it certainly is for some-then why not?

So..once again..can you OWN the land your house is built on in Thailand?

No. And no one has said you can.

Once again; you can own the property that sits on the land you lease, and you’re property is legally protected from the lessor. That’s all that we are saying.

And to be clear; we are not referring to people stupid enough to build a house on land owned by their bargirl or her family that get chased off when the relationship breaks down.

(Public disclaimer-I was certainly stupid enough to do it in Wonderland)

Why doesn’t that surprise me.

3 hours ago, Delight said:

It seems like an excellent idea to me i.e obtain 30 year lease and build-or buy into MooBahn when the company route seems 'dodgy'

This is only going to work for somebody 65 years of age and up.You have to fairly certain that you will not live to 96

Probably appeal to those who wish to keep domestic pets and hate condo life.

It will no doubt be expensive -however if the money is no object -and it certainly is for some-then why not?

Just to correct myself. it will not be anymore expensive than buying via company

Foreigner cant be added as housemaster, to obtain a yellow book, a housemaster needs to be added to the bluebook.

I couldn't even add my kids name to the blue book for my condo until I added a Thai person as housemaster.

A foreigner can be the house master in the blue book, even without permanent residency, we had some reports by people here on Thaivisa who are the housemaster in a blue book.

But a foreigner can not be listed as resident in a blue book (if he doesn't have permanent residency), this is only possible in a yellow book, so the name in the blue book as house master does not serve as proof of residence when doing stuff like getting a driving license, registering vehicle or whatever.

As everything in Thailand this will vary in every province or office, it's realistic to assume that some offices will not put a foreigner as the house master in a blue book, but afaik there is no law or general rule forbidding this.

On 4/15/2019 at 5:59 AM, baansgr said:

Foreigner cant be added as housemaster, to obtain a yellow book, a housemaster needs to be added to the bluebook.

I couldn't even add my kids name to the blue book for my condo until I added a Thai person as housemaster.

Thanks to you baansgr, Tanoshi, and others who stayed on point. I have a yellow book and am listed in the blue house book as well. What got me thinking about this was my trip to imm. to report my return after out of Thai. trip and told by the i.o. to get a copy of blue book with  my name in it and ex wife's id, all signed by her.  Never in eight yrs. of retire. visas did a tm30, just used yellow book for extensions.  The i.o. said could not use it for tm 30.  Did get a receipt of notification after getting docs. she required.  This caused me to consider the power a housemaster could have over us, and how outdated the housebook concept is. Of course that is a whole different subject. Thanks again for all the replies.

Archived