AIS 12Call Roaming in USA

55Jay

Will my existing 12Call pre-paid Thai number/SIM roam automatically in the US, or do I need to purchase an add-on roaming package before we leave Thailand?

http://www.ais.co.th/roaming/en/package-0.html

Won't need roaming for our long-stay in the US, I visit AT&T once we get to our final destination and get US SIMs for the duration.  I just need to make 1 quick call, for a ride, after we land and clear Customs at LAX.  If my Thai AIS SIM will roam without any hassle and I can make a call on it, that would be better than other options.  Tx.

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Assuming you have international roaming enabled, and your phone supports the necessary frequencies and you have remaining value and expiry, then yes.

A local call should be ~ 46 baht/minute, maybe more with VAT.

10-4, thanks very much. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/15/2019 at 7:25 AM, mtls2005 said:

Assuming you have international roaming enabled, and your phone supports the necessary frequencies and you have remaining value and expiry, then yes.

A local call should be ~ 46 baht/minute, maybe more with VAT.

2 month bump....  hold my hand one more time, if you don't mind?  ????

I've since downloaded the AIS App on my phone.  Within that, I found a menu item for "international service", opens a new screen, and the toggle select was off.  I toggled it and after a few minutes of spin time processing, it moved to the "On" position, as it is now.  Is that what you meant by enabling Int'l Roaming? 

Screenshot_20190609-164702.thumb.png.5d74c022e9ebfbf24c1929e02265d933.png

Used this phone (Samsung A3(2106)) in California before, with an AT&T SIM in it, just never had the need to see if 12Call linked to a service provider before doing that.  

Yes. Though you can simply switch Data Roaming off in your phone settings, if you just need calls & SMS whilst abroad and don't want to use up your credit on data. For instance, for One Time Passwords for Thai banking.

Of course if you purchase a Roaming Package, it's a moot point.

4 hours ago, JamJar said:

Yes. Though you can simply switch Data Roaming off in your phone settings, if you just need calls & SMS whilst abroad and don't want to use up your credit on data. For instance, for One Time Passwords for Thai banking.

Of course if you purchase a Roaming Package, it's a moot point.

OK, thanks, I was just interested if the International Roaming setting on the App was the key, which I presume links to my account with AIS, not just turning on mobile data from the phone settings.  Just the one call needed after landing, hopefully I'll get a link to a service provider by some kind of default.  I'll get AT&T for the duration of our stay there. 

Thanks for the response.  Cheers. 

1 hour ago, 55Jay said:

OK, thanks, I was just interested if the International Roaming setting on the App was the key, which I presume links to my account with AIS, not just turning on mobile data from the phone settings.  Just the one call needed after landing, hopefully I'll get a link to a service provider by some kind of default.  I'll get AT&T for the duration of our stay there. 

Thanks for the response.  Cheers. 

The App doesn't affect the settings on your phone.  Toggling the switch has the same effect as;

2.png.c8d87ea39f304bd01c323f040151b9df.png

On 6/9/2019 at 5:09 PM, 55Jay said:

Is that what you meant by enabling Int'l Roaming? 

Yes.

Agree, disable mobile data in both the phone, and with AIS.

Once you have an AT&T/T-Mo SIM, re-enable it in the phone.

If your phone worked in 2016 it may still work this year. I haven't followed re-farming recently. Seems like 3G should be OK at a minimum.

https://www.kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker/US/samsung-galaxy-a3-2016

Alright, feel confident now I can turn the phone on at LAX and get a signal for a call.

- Topped up 320 Baht on the 12Call credit this morning.

- Int'l Roaming On within the App/AIS side.

- Data Roaming toggled Off in phone settings. 

- Data/Internet Off on the AIS side with the dialed USSD code *129*1#.

Thanks JamJar and Mtls for your responses.  Cheers, J.

AIS roams on AT&T and T-Mo in the U.S. Give the phone a few minutes, after turning it on, to acquire a signal, which should happen automatically. If issues, you can try scanning for networks, choose AT&T or T-Mo 2G if available (all that is needed for the single voice call), then 3G, then finally 4G.

Yes, *125 (IVR) and *125*1# SEND (USSD commands issued from the phone dialer also work.) Not sure but think maybe *125*2# SEND might turn IR back off again?

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

AIS roams on AT&T and T-Mo in the U.S. Give the phone a few minutes, after turning it on, to acquire a signal, which should happen automatically. If issues, you can try scanning for networks, choose AT&T or T-Mo 2G if available (all that is needed for the single voice call), then 3G, then finally 4G.

Yes, *125 (IVR) and *125*1# SEND (USSD commands issued from the phone dialer also work.) Not sure but think maybe *125*2# SEND might turn IR back off again?

Yup, learned the Data on/off dial codes a couple years ago, use them often. 

Thanks again.  Wheels up tonight, Los Estados Unidos.  ???? 

J

1907865719_AISCODESINET.JPG.5e7e1a884399d3afca3ee83efc97c98a.JPG

5 hours ago, oldcarguy said:

My AIS sim signs up to T-Mobile when I turn it on here in the USA , normally LTE band 4

Yes, but the OP's phone does not support LTE Band 4 - not surprising as it is an unusual band (1700 MHz up, 2100 MHz down), unique to the U.S./western hemispehere - so think he'd end up with a 3G or 2G band (850 or 1900).

Archived