Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

6 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Mau recently said he is a christian and quoted jesus

That's not quite the same as following the bible to the letter, is it now?

If you've read his post you would surely know that he did much more than just copy/pasting bible verses.

a christian believes in christ

A Christian may believe in Christ, but that doesn't mean it prevents him from using his own mind and judgement. Even in the Christian faith there are several mystical traditions that go beyond the Christian dogma of the bible. They focus their attention on practice and believe they can attain a communion with God.

For your information:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_mysticism

Edited by Sunmaster

7 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

A Christian may believe in Christ, but that doesn't mean it prevents him from using his own mind and judgement. Even in the Christian faith there are several mystical traditions that go beyond the Christian dogma of the bible. They focus their attention on practice and believe they can attain a communion with God.

For your information:

So they believe in god as a person?

And why always use the word ATHEIST?

a - theist, not believer in god ! The opposite of that is a believer in a personal god

49 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

The only people who talked about #1 was 1 bible guy and most of the atheists. Quite ironic really ????

Anyway, thanks for your valuable opinion.

Maybe I misunderstood, but recently a Canadian even talked about the original sin. Original sin against who? Against a personal god.

So they believe in god as a person?

And why always use the word ATHEIST?

a - theist, not believer in god ! The opposite of that is a believer in a personal god

The Christian Mystics? I guess they do.

MauGR?  I doubt it very much.

I use the word atheist because that's what most of them call themselves. There was 1 or 2 agnostics, but I don't remember who specifically.

You appear to see everything in black and white...when in fact life is all but black and white.
A person can quote Jesus or even the bible without being a Christian. A Christian can be open-minded enough to go beyond the teachings of the bible and find Truth in many other fields.
The opposite of an atheist is not just a believer in a personal God, but can be a Buddhist, a Zen Buddhist, a Jainist or simply a spiritual person.

Maybe I misunderstood, but recently a Canadian even talked about the original sin. Original sin against who? Against a personal god.

I don't know which comment you're referring to. I rarely reply to religious fundamentalists.

People pop in from time to time, write what they think is a funny or clever comment and then leave again. You can hardly consider them valuable contributions to our discussion and they are mostly ignored (thankfully).

Is this point really so important to you? People have all sorts of ideas and beliefs....what's the problem?

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

The Christian Mystics? I guess they do.

MauGR?  I doubt it very much.

I use the word atheist because that's what most of them call themselves. There was 1 or 2 agnostics, but I don't remember who specifically.

You appear to see everything in black and white...when in fact life is all but black and white.
A person can quote Jesus or even the bible without being a Christian. A Christian can be open-minded enough to go beyond the teachings of the bible and find Truth in many other fields.
The opposite of an atheist is not just a believer in a personal God, but can be a Buddhist, a Zen Buddhist, a Jainist or simply a spiritual person.

Ever since "life of Brian" we know that things don't have to be taken litterally in religion.

And there sure are all kinds of christians.

BUT they all believe in god as a person (not an abstract power), while they may differ as to what that god person exactly said or meant.

33 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

For your information:

Many or most of the christian traditions, is pagans traditions, just to make it more easy to sell to pagans and get accepted. Just pure natural seasoned traditions was made in to christians holy celebrations. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

That's not quite the same as following the bible to the letter, is it now?

If you've read his post you would surely know that he did much more than just copy/pasting bible verses.

Actually i refer much more to Vaishnavism or Shivaism than Christianity, but Jesus is regarded as avatar of Vishnu, same as Buddha.

Some people read one post or 2 and then jump to conclusions... talk about open mind..????

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

I don't know which comment you're referring to. I rarely reply to religious fundamentalists.

People pop in from time to time, write what they think is a funny or clever comment and then leave again. You can hardly consider them valuable contributions to our discussion and they are mostly ignored (thankfully).

Is this point really so important to you? People have all sorts of ideas and beliefs....what's the problem?

Not just an occasional poster that just dropped in to say something funny.

Canucamuck.

And "liked" by Mau.

That's 2 regular contributors that believe in a godperson.

QUOTE: "Corruption entered the matrix through the original sin"

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tagged said:

Many or most of the christian traditions, is pagans traditions, just to make it more easy to sell to pagans and get accepted. Just pure natural seasoned traditions was made in to christians holy celebrations. 

Xmas, All Saints,....

19 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Actually i refer much more to Vaishnavism or Shivaism than Christianity, but Jesus is regarded as avatar of Vishnu, same as Buddha.

Some people read one post or 2 and then jump to conclusions... talk about open mind..????

Read this post several times (open minded as I am), then googled, found much about movies, and, more relevant:

AVATAR: a manifestation of a deity or released soul in bodily form on earth

"bodily form" ------- So you believe in a persongod.

Exactly what I was saying.

Edited by oldhippy
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Personally, I would not bother with #1 - or maybe occasionally make fun of the posters

As for #2, I would sometimes glimpse at it, I have an open mind, but I would not expect anything of value there.

For someone who is not bothered about religion, you sure talk a lot about it. ???? Quite obsessed actually.

8 hours ago, Sunmaster said:

I don't know how you missed the part about me being a Christian and A Bible believer, I wasn't hiding it. I do support you on your defense of the existence of the spiritual realm. But God to me is the God of the Bible.

So Old Hippy is right, and He is also right about this thread is trying to do two things at once, defining two concepts of God. Which is fine, and I am enjoying it. Everyone who seeks truth will find it if they are willing to be wrong about their preconceptions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Elad said:

Why do believers have a big problem with a universe without God/intelligent design?

Same as the flat Earth'rs, who have a big problem with a spherical Earth, why?

Nice try comparing the believe in a Higher Intelligence to the flat earth theory.

Worthy of a 5 year old.

2 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

I don't know how you missed the part about me being a Christian and A Bible believer, I wasn't hiding it. I do support you on your defense of the existence of the spiritual realm. But God to me is the God of the Bible.

So Old Hippy is right, and He is also right about this thread is trying to do two things at once, defining two concepts of God. Which is fine, and I am enjoying it. Everyone who seeks truth will find it if they are willing to be wrong about their preconceptions.

I have no problem with the concept of a single person God. In fact, I see God as in 3 different emanations: the individual God [he], the impersonal part [it] and the the part of God inside myself .

What Elad was referring to in his first post about this, was the notion of God as described in the bible....the old bearded man....and those who take the bible literally, squabbling over details of who said what and when.

Like we are doing now actually. 

You are Christian yes, but I'm more interested in what you have to say than where your ideas come from.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Sunmaster said:

The only people who talked about #1 was 1 bible guy and most of the atheists. Quite ironic really ????

Anyway, thanks for your valuable opinion.

Wrong...you left out Canucks. He's referenced 10 Commandments, New Testament and other Gee-zuz stuff. Clearly a Christian. Try to keep up... 

:coffee1:

26 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Thanks for clearing your obvious Christianity up for those who have difficulty understanding and keeping up. 

4 hours ago, Elad said:

Why do believers have a big problem with a universe without God/intelligent design?

Same as the flat Earth'rs, who have a big problem with a spherical Earth, why?

Methinks it's you who is having a problem.

Personally i am all for freedom of thought.

• Like 2

A religion is just like a wrapping around the gift inside. The wrapping may be beautiful, or modern, or very simple. What matters though is what is inside and what you do with it.

If you guys prefer to bicker over what wrapping is better, then I'm indeed in the wrong place.

4 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Methinks it's you who is having a problem.

Personally i am all for freedom of thought.

Freedom to shopping from all religions, new age, and so on, and make your own truth? You understand where this is going? 

I get a Monty Python clip in my head, 

You already post one genious Frank Zappa who was a very important voice against the world politics and also religions, but maybe the most important voice in my time have been exactly Monthy Python. They have been a gamechanger in many peoples life, a real ayeopener. 

3 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

A religion is just like a wrapping around the gift inside. The wrapping may be beautiful, or modern, or very simple. What matters though is what is inside and what you do with it.

If you guys prefer to bicker over what wrapping is better, then I'm indeed in the wrong place.

My favourite comparison is with a stick.

It can help lost soul through a difficult path.

I wonder why people who dislike it don't simply ignore the subject.

1 minute ago, Tagged said:

Freedom to shopping from all religions, new age, and so on, and make your own truth? You understand where this is going? 

I don't know monthy python.

I am interested in religions from many points  of view, and i am interested in the truth.

Care to explain what, according to you, is wrong with it ?

3 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

I don't know monthy python.

I am interested in religions from many points  of view, and i am interested in the truth.

Care to explain what, according to you, is wrong with it ?

Im also interested in religion and science, but more learning and observer, than anything else. 

There is nothing wrong to be interested in truth, but there is far fetced to state the truth, discuss the truth, and just be an believer with your own personal experience of the truth. Your truth! The book religions have their common solid ground exactly in the written word, but the most these days tend to bend their religion to their own benefits and purpose, and still call themselves a believer. 

It is an endless discussion with no answers except every people need something, and everyone needs to get accept for their personal belief, and at that moment it is not personal anymore. 

Im quite surprised Im still here posting here!