Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

1 hour ago, geronimo said:

Are we living in a simulation?

Look at what we have done in only 200 years?

I do not believe our genes and dna is from this planet, and I also believe life is much older than earth! 

If we live in a simularion, it a dam good one, and also a a simulation with random faults, made just for fun. A pervert and sadistic designer who like animals and humans for those of us who still feel above animals. 

Just now, yodsak said:

703748722_ScreenShot2020-01-29at12_53_35.png.714ff0fb636c24ea2598a57e95d0599e.png

1. That was one observer. He was suspicious but ultimately wasn't able to uncover anything.

2. "self-mutilation through abnormal autosuggestibility from post-traumatic stress symptoms"....nice science lingo for "mind over matter". ???? Still, that's not a real explanation on how the stigmata came to be.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, WalkingOrders said:

I appreciate your belief, but will you conceed, that just like anyone claiming existence of a diety you have no proof? That these are laws of the Universe?

There is no solid proof, i agree, but my goal is understanding the law of the universe with every instrument i can use.

Relying just on the physical senses is the perfect way to investigate the physical world.

Investigating spiritual worlds is possible by developing spiritual senses.

@Sunmaster is right in promoting meditation, but there are other ways to develop the spiritual senses.

The words of R. Steiner resonate very well with me, and confirm what i experienced with meditation at a younger age, and comparing those ideas to real situations observed in real life.

Obviously the work is in progress, but undoubtedly, prejudices can hinder the view, and everyone, including myself should be alert of that.

Yet, if your values are right, even if you do mistakes, you will be pushed on the "right track" by the immensely powerful force which some Christians refer as the "Guardian Angel".

Sorry if it is confusing, trying to express those concepts in few lines is perhaps not really appropriate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

Yes, the words you are using, mathematicians, probable, simulation, are modern words and concepts, and do the job in creating a picture.

Yet the same concepts are expressed with different words, in the texts of ancient India.

Right.
Hinduism as well as Buddhism, call this world an illusion (Maya or Samsara) and enlightenment is just the realization of this fact.

Edited by Sunmaster
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

Right.
Hinduism as well as Buddhism, call this world an illusion (Maya or Samsara) and enlightenment is just the realization of this fact.

Yes.

Of course, i say that not for you, but for the crowd, when we speak about "enlightenment" we don't necessarily refer to an eternal, blissful state of supreme consciousness, but to each one of the spiritual visions that come in abundance when the path is right.

As described admirably and poetically in the "Bhagavad Gita" there is a battle going on within every human soul, so it's important to understand first what it's worth fighting for.

The words "Know yourself" , in this case, make a lot of sense to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yodsak said:

703748722_ScreenShot2020-01-29at12_53_35.png.714ff0fb636c24ea2598a57e95d0599e.png

Thanks for saving me the time! Knew it to be the case same as Every single other so-called miracle and supposedly unexplained phenomena...hoax. Only works on the delusional and/or gullible and/or irrational and/or woo-agendized and/or conspiracy theorists. Every one Every time without fail. Hoaxes and scams ALL. ????

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Skeptic7 said:

Thanks for saving me the time! Knew it to be the case same as Every single other so-called miracle and supposedly unexplained phenomena...hoax. Only works on the delusional and/or gullible and/or irrational and/or woo-agendized and/or conspiracy theorists. Every one Every time without fail. Hoaxes and scams ALL. ????

Wow, did you debunk every one of all the unexplained phenomena without fail, like you (eheeem) "debunked" my claims? You must have been a busy bee indeed. ????????????

• Confused 1

I am a non-believer, I try to do as much as possible good and not bad intentionally.

I am together with a lady for 20 years, of which married 13.

I like to eat, to drink ( sometimes a little too much) and making love to my wife, reading a book ( For the moment "Sapiens"/in Flemish, and I just finished "Sérotonine"/ in French). 

I like legal T.V. series as well.

All those "normal" things makes me happy and satisfied.

To all the "Believers" here,

What is your daily live ?

Does "normal" things makes you happy too?

Or do you need "extras" ?

24 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

Wow, did you debunk every one of all the unexplained phenomena without fail, like you (eheeem) "debunked" my claims? You must have been a busy bee indeed. ????????????

True dat! Keeping this thread real and fact checked is a full time endeavor. Whew! And btw...never claimed I did the debunking, as you already well know. Just another deflection and unsubstantiated claim by The Master! Anyway, this nonsense bickering is getting boring. Wouldn't you agree that something is amiss when as soon as observers are told to leave the room, every time and only then do the wounds appear? Even you would certainly feel a hint of W-T-EFF?!? Read and see if you agree with this assessment...

Is stigmata real?
So is stigmata real, or a hoax, or something in between? The claimed miracle of stigmata — like inedia, where people who claim not to eat food — is very difficult to scientifically verify. Veteran researcher James Randi, in his "Encyclopedia of Claims, Frauds, and Hoaxes of the Occult and Supernatural," notes that "Since twenty-four-hour-a-day surveillance would be necessary to establish the validity of these phenomena as miracles, no case of stigmata exists that can be said to be free of suspicion," and though the possibility of genuine stigmata can never be ruled out, "It is interesting to note that in all such cases, the wounds in the hands appear at the palms, which agrees with religious paintings but not with the actualities of crucifixion; the wounds should appear at the wrists."

If stigmata is real, there is no medical or scientific explanation for it. Wounds do not suddenly and spontaneously appear on people's bodies for no reason; some specific instrument (such as a knife, tooth, or bullet) can always be identified as causing the trauma. Without a medical examination, it is impossible to distinguish a minor (but bloody) surface wound (which could be easily faked or self-inflicted) from a genuine and serious puncture wound identical to that caused by a Roman-era crucifixion spike. X-rays, which could definitively determine whether a wound is superficial or truly pierces a limb, have never been done on stigmatics. Until a person suffering from stigmata allows himself or herself to be subjected to close medical scientific investigation, the phenomenon will remain a myth.

Benjamin Radford, M.Ed., is deputy editor of Skeptical Inquirer science magazine and author of six books including Scientific Paranormal Investigation: How to Solve Unexplained Mysteries. His website is www.BenjaminRadford.com.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

I am a non-believer, I try to do as much as possible good and not bad intentionally.

I am together with a lady for 20 years, of which married 13.

I like to eat, to drink ( sometimes a little too much) and making love to my wife, reading a book ( For the moment "Sapiens"/in Flemish, and I just finished "Sérotonine"/ in French). 

I like legal T.V. series as well.

All those "normal" things makes me happy and satisfied.

To all the "Believers" here,

What is your daily live ?

Does "normal" things makes you happy too?

Or do you need "extras" ?

My typical day:
Get up at 6.30, meditate 30mins, prepare breakfast for me and my cats, listen to my wife complaining ???? , go to work at 9 (or whenever I want, since I'm my own boss), spend a lot of time online (you probably noticed), go home at about 5pm, meditate 30mins, have dinner, watch a movie or read a book, sleep at 11pm. Weekends I go have a drink and a chat with a couple of close friends. Once a month I give a sound bath (using Himalayan and crystal singing bowls) to a small group. Love riding my bikes whenever I can. 

All normal things...

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

True dat! Keeping this thread real and fact checked is a full time endeavor. Whew! And btw...never claimed I did the debunking, as you already well know. Just another deflection and unsubstantiated claim by The Master! Anyway, this nonsense bickering is getting boring. Wouldn't you agree that something is amiss when as soon as observers are told to leave the room, every time and only then do the wounds appear? Even you would certainly feel a hint of W-T-EFF?!? Read and see if you agree with this assessment...

Is stigmata real?
So is stigmata real, or a hoax, or something in between? The claimed miracle of stigmata — like inedia, where people who claim not to eat food — is very difficult to scientifically verify. Veteran researcher James Randi, in his "Encyclopedia of Claims, Frauds, and Hoaxes of the Occult and Supernatural," notes that "Since twenty-four-hour-a-day surveillance would be necessary to establish the validity of these phenomena as miracles, no case of stigmata exists that can be said to be free of suspicion," and though the possibility of genuine stigmata can never be ruled out, "It is interesting to note that in all such cases, the wounds in the hands appear at the palms, which agrees with religious paintings but not with the actualities of crucifixion; the wounds should appear at the wrists."

If stigmata is real, there is no medical or scientific explanation for it. Wounds do not suddenly and spontaneously appear on people's bodies for no reason; some specific instrument (such as a knife, tooth, or bullet) can always be identified as causing the trauma. Without a medical examination, it is impossible to distinguish a minor (but bloody) surface wound (which could be easily faked or self-inflicted) from a genuine and serious puncture wound identical to that caused by a Roman-era crucifixion spike. X-rays, which could definitively determine whether a wound is superficial or truly pierces a limb, have never been done on stigmatics. Until a person suffering from stigmata allows himself or herself to be subjected to close medical scientific investigation, the phenomenon will remain a myth.

Benjamin Radford, M.Ed., is deputy editor of Skeptical Inquirer science magazine and author of six books including Scientific Paranormal Investigation: How to Solve Unexplained Mysteries. His website is www.BenjaminRadford.com.

I wasn't there when it happened, so I can't be sure of anything. Maybe the observer was kind of an <deleted> and people around Therese kicked him out. Who knows. 

What I do know is that there are things in life that are not easily explainable. Such as Sirineau's healing for example. Was it his meditation, a lucky coincidence, a doctor's wrong diagnose? Who knows. I think the power of the mind is extraordinary, some might even call it miraculous or supernatural. If it can produce unexplainable healings (and there are a LOT of those), maybe it can produce open wounds as well. I certainly don't exclude it.

On 4/14/2019 at 10:43 PM, Odysseus123 said:

Damn right!

You must be a very odd fish in Thailand.????

I read all 3 of the series, superb material. I passed them on to several people. Should be required reading for all. And yes, how anyone with a decent modern education can believe in any god totally escapes me, although I personally know several evangelical billionaires - just goes to show how narrow minded one has to be to be hyper-successful, in my opinion.  We have scientific principles that few understand such as the multiverse theory, string theory (please no-one come out with the 'but it's only a theory' old chestnut - theories are proven science) and quantum physics. String theory is so-called because the theoretical smallest particle possible is called a 'string' but no-one will ever be able to see one because they are too small to possibly magnify enough, so we have no idea what they are. Similarly quantum physics relies on there being at least 13 dimensions (last time I looked) but scientists have no idea what the other 9 may be or do, but they are all around us (and our phones and computers would not work if quantum theory is incorrect - they were designed to its principles) and other worlds may easily co-exist with ours in the same space. We don't even really understand what gravity is. We thus have very limited idea of the nature of the universe we live in. When we do we may be in a better position to determine whether there is a supreme being or not, but it really is extremely unlikely. If there is, the last thing it would surely want its 'disciples' or creations to do would be to waste their given short lifetimes worshipping their creator, or being terrified of it to the extent of piously living by the rules of any imagined religion (quod. Harari).That would be literally counter-productive, surely? 

9 hours ago, WalkingOrders said:

Discussing your first paragraph. Please define. Faith in what? God? Jesus Christ?

At the end of the paragraph you bring up Satan. Is is sarcasm? Or is that the question you are asking?

You follow with a pronouncement that seems to claim that if someone has any confusion about Christian faith, or what they believe they have no choice but to label themselves a liar.

The last three words:

Responsive? To what?

Receptive? Again to what? Faith as a gift from God? To faith in a general sense?

Prone to? Completely lost me here.

I quoted you, who believe in Jesus Crist didnt I. It doesnt matter what belief system you belong to, but you need to feel it, need it, but with hearth and mind. Yes, you are a liar if you say you have feaith or believe if you do not feel it. To many people say they believe in Jesus Christ, but surtenly do not live up to it. <deleted> Jesus died for our sins, so we can do what we want, or create our own belief or rules based on Jesus as the savior? Get real, live up to it, no excuses. 

Well either you got faith, or not, some just dont get it, dont have it, but want so bad to belong to something greater than themselves, and follow others, instead of Jesus. If you believe in Jesus, live up to it! 

Edited by Tagged
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Tagged said:

If you believe in Jesus, live up to it! 

Well, no.

I believe in Jesus, but honestly i cannot live up to him, as you say.

I would not give my life for any human, apart from my children.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, geronimo said:

Might sound weird to you, perhaps like the Matrix, yet if we were to take a walk along the path of logic and probability, we might find that it is even ‘probable’ that we are living in a simulation.

This requires a series of assumptions ……

First, one must agree that we are not alone; based on the information we have, there are billions of galaxies, each with billions of stars, each of which have a number of planets orbiting them, one must expect that there is life out there.

This life would be all over the universe, and there would certainly be lifeforms that were less advanced than we are, which means there must also be lifeforms more advanced than us. The age of our galaxy is less than half the age of the universe, so we could assume that there might be lifeforms from planets that are one million years older than us.

We use advanced simulations even now, but imagine what kind of simulation a very advanced lifeform could create? Look at what we have done in only 200 years?

According to some mathematicians, it is probable that we are living in a huge simulation.

This is like saying any potential science fiction plot may be true. Everything written here is simply fiction. An imagination. Not bad imagination, but imagination none the less.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

This is like saying any potential science fiction plot may be true. Everything written here is simply fiction. An imagination. Not bad imagination, but imagination none the less.

Imagination is one of the highest human faculties.

Pls give it some respect, thanks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tagged said:

I quoted you, who believe in Jesus Crist didnt I. It doesnt matter what belief system you belong to, but you need to feel it, need it, but with hearth and mind. Yes, you are a liar if you say you have feaith or believe if you do not feel it. To many people say they believe in Jesus Christ, but surtenly do not live up to it. <deleted> Jesus died for our sins, so we can do what we want, or create our own belief or rules based on Jesus as the savior? Get real, live up to it, no excuses. 

Well either you got faith, or not, some just dont get it, dont have it, but want so bad to belong to something greater than themselves, and follow others, instead of Jesus. If you believe in Jesus, live up to it! 

You are telling me several things that I must do. How is it that you can make the claim to that you are in any position to tell me what I must feel? You are making a claim that I cannot possibly have any faith unless I have a maximum amount as in your mind faith is either all or nothing. In other words you cannot ever find yourself in a situation of struggle with faith, or questioning, because if you do this is to say that the faith is not faith at all.  Next you claim that i must be a liar if I do not feel it. I must presume here that I must also accept whatever definition you might have for what "feeling" faith is.  Next you attack the faith of others who claim a belief in Jesus Christ but do not live up to it. Again, I must presume that this is to a standard that you have set. Next you pose a rhetorical question I believe, implying that such a person, not living up to the level of living that you have set, is claiming by his actions that he can do whatever he wants without regard to such things as what would be considered sin in Christian orthodoxy. In other words you are setting up a standard that implies that you can decide who or who is not a true believer by these ideas you have which to me seem quite black and white and deny the weaknesses of mankind to be less then perfect.  Next you again repeat either you have faith or you do not. Yet the teachings of Jesus and Judaism is filled with teachings about persons having little faith, or great faith. Admonitions as well as encouragements - such as the idea that faith the size of a mustard seed can move a mountain. You end with an admonishment that if someone believes in Jesus they should live up to it. I would agree with that statement but I am certain I would disagree with what you consider living up to it to be.  A lack of faith, questioning faith, feeling weak of faith, etc are not mortal sins in Christian dogma. 

• Like 2