Jump to content
BANGKOK
ivor bigun

Do you believe in God and why

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Only from our perspective. But if god exists , it exists outside our reality.  We are so far from understanding reality  that.

"More is unknown than is known. We know how much dark energy there is because we know how it affects the universe's expansion. Other than that, it is a complete mystery. But it is an important mystery. It turns out that roughly 68% of the universe is dark energy. Dark matter makes up about 27%. The rest - everything on Earth, everything ever observed with all of our instruments, all normal matter - adds up to less than 5% of the universe.  "

https://science.nasa.gov/astrophysics/focus-areas/what-is-dark-energy

So IMO, to talk about God,  and reality with any certainty is  impossible at this time and perhaps ever.

   All  I can say is that there are no evidence that there is a god, And that since I am not the one making the claim, it is the responsibility of the one making the claim to provide supporting evidence.  Also  to answer of why if there is a god,  it need to be only one of them. Why not and infinite number of them. and since infinity is unapproachable why worry about  origines? 

IMO ,. there is no God in the biblical sense, but as far as a pantheistic scene .......it simply becomes a mater of definitions.

 

Why must God exist outside of our reality. Perhaps you mean to say beyond our comprehension? If God exists and He created us He is the most significant part of our reality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, canuckamuck said:

Why must God exist outside of our reality. Perhaps you mean to say beyond our comprehension? If God exists and He created us He is the most significant part of our reality.

 To create our reality he must exist outside of it. You cannot create something that you are in , because for you to me in it it must already exist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sirineou said:

 And what if there is a God?  what is he/she/it is going to do. torchur  me for eternity for not believing the evidence he did not provide? What did he give me reason for? 

Establishing that God might exist is a separate concept from what are God's rules. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sirineou said:

 To create our reality he must exist outside of it. You cannot create something that you are in , because for you to me in it it must already exist.

Well, i am sure that you are not the one who tells God what he can or cannot do 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, canuckamuck said:

Establishing that God might exist is a separate concept from what are God's rules. 

Sure, but in his book he does have some very specific rule about believing in him, abot fagets and eating shrimp. Though he seems to have have forgotten about the shrimp thing . LOL

  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, i am sure that you are not the one who tells God what he can or cannot do 😉

Sure am... that's why he gave me reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, sirineou said:

 To create our reality he must exist outside of it. You cannot create something that you are in , because for you to me in it it must already exist.

Is the world part of your reality? Did you not come from the world? You cannot create the world that created you, that is true. And the world did not create itself. But that what created you must be part of your reality.

But the origin of all cannot be unoriginal or created. God can only be the origin of all if God is an absolute value, a singularity that simply is.

Edited by canuckamuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sirineou said:

Sure am... that's why he gave me reason.

To admit that reason has limits would sound reasonable to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

To admit that reason has limits would sound reasonable to me.

No I don't think so. IMO reason is the only thing that does not have limits.  How could it? 

Reason is only limited by the amount of available information, but the availability of information changes constantly and increases exponentially. 

See Moore's law. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sirineou said:

No I don't think so. IMO reason is the only thing that does not have limits.  How could it? 

Reason is only limited by the amount of available information, but the availability of information changes constantly and increases exponentially. 

See Moore's law. 

Fair enough, but obviously not all information are available, so if we don't even know if God exists or not, reasoning on God is more or less like walking on thin air.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mauGR1 said:

Fair enough, but obviously not all information are available, so if we don't even know if God exists or not, reasoning on God is more or less like walking on thin air.

 Sure but we both have the same available information.

It befalls the one making the claim to provide evidence from the available pool of information. I could not reason the "Or Not" because I could not prove with absolute certainty a negative , only prove that based on the available set of evidence  the same set of evidence that supports your claim, that there is no reason to believe that it exists. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sirineou said:

 Sure but we both have the same available information.

It befalls the one making the claim to provide evidence from the available pool of information. I could not reason the "Or Not" because I could not prove with absolute certainty a negative , only prove that based on the available set of evidence  the same set of evidence that supports your claim, that there is no reason to believe that it exists. 

 

Well, again, many wise men having this debate since aeons, could not show any evidence of God or its non-existence.

Promise you, if i get some evidence, positive or not, i'll send you a postcard 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, soalbundy said:

It doesn't matter what you believe in because it's all speculation, concepts, ideas. Several Eastern philosophies match the latest scientific hypothesis that nothing exists as a 'reality' let alone God.

At its basic, reality is no more than electrically charged particles in formation. Change the formation and change reality. The only question we have to answer on this thread is "who is in charge of arranging the particles", and, is there a being in charge or is it all just a gigantic mistake that just happened, all by itself- just popped into existence from nothing?

Perhaps our universe is just a school science project in an alternate universe, and it is now just a bauble on Rosenburg's cat's collar.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...