Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

6 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

I recall Steven Hawking saying that when we observe the realm of quantum mechanics - we are getting a glimpse into the mind of God.

I find it telling that none of the ancient creation texts ever mentioned the dinosaurs.

Umm..why should they do so?

Homo Sapiens is a latecomer..only 70-80 thousand years.

But they managed to kill of the megafauna in Australia toot sweet..yes indeed they did.

By the way Marco Polo did not mention the Great wall of China either..presumably because he thought.."yet another blinkin' wall!"

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Russia and China to start with. 

The patron saint of Russia is St Andrew.

Which is why the modern Russian army marches under his banner-as well as the banners of the old Imperial army.

I note that they now include the hammer and sickle again-so they are apt to be a colourful crowd.

32 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

How about those who deny medical treatment to their children in the name of god?  How about those who stone women in the name of god?  How about those who commit mass suicide in the name of god?  Is that OK?

Well not really, no. That is forcing their beliefs on others which I am against.

Just now, Aforek said:

I don't  especially believe in what we call God, but ...

At the age of 16, I almost died in the sea, in Ivory Coast; exhausted by the waves that prevented me from going out my head, I said to myself "I give up fighting, I'm too tired, I'm going to let myself die"
at that moment, I heard a voice in my head, very clearly , who said to me "no, your time has not come, take the next wave that comes, it will take you back to the beach", it's what I have done : it was 53 years ago , never had an other experience like this since then
everyone was standing on the beach watching me back
since then, I wonder if we are masters of our destiny and if everything is not written in advance

Do you consider that divine intervention? 

5 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Mocking what you don't understand is just silly imo, i didn't say that i know that god exist, i just said that my logic, not your logic, tells me that there is an intelligent design.

I am undecided about two viewpoints that have been with us through at least 3000 years and probably 10 millennia..

1.God in everything (pantheism)

2.Everything in God (panentheism)

These two memes are found across all cultures and religions...difficult to decide.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Do you consider that divine intervention? 

I don't know how to call it, just as if we were puppets manipulated at the top
now I do not believe too much at random

( sorry, I translate with Google, i am not sure it's correct )

2 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

My less than perfect intuition tells me that both are true, but we are wired, or trained to see the reality in 3 dimensions, and it's logical to think that there are more than 3.

Hmmm..well it's hard to debate with a follower of Ecclesiastes....because there is "nothing new under the sun"

Nevertheless..the 'Everything in God' position would,I think.take care of the dimensions whereas the 'God in everything' would not..

What say you?

1 minute ago, Odysseus123 said:

Hmmm..well it's hard to debate with a follower of Ecclesiastes....because there is "nothing new under the sun"

Nevertheless..the 'Everything in God' position would,I think.take care of the dimensions whereas the 'God in everything' would not..

What say you?

Really, i thought "nothing new.." was from Confucious, my bad.

Well, the solar system is an atom, and everything is made of atoms, but it's late here, and atm i can't go further than that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

No, what I said was it's the dishonest nature of religious explainers is what attracting the mocking.  

Whether you believe in the existence of a particular god, or not, is irrelevant. 

Ok, i am with you in mocking the imposters, who use god and religion for personal gain, and the fanatic, ignorant followers who hate followers of other cults.

In fact i'm not religious at all, but i am curious about the origins and developments of various cults.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

"Umm..why should they do so?"

Some claim that God told them how life started. None mention how life emerged from the oceans - then evolved in to dinosaurs. None mention the meteor strike that led to the extinction of the dinosaurs - which allowed mammals to flourish, and set the stage for chimpanzees - from whom we evolved. Any bright adult would include these facts when explaining human evolution, so I find it implausible that a supreme being would omit such relevant information.

How could they do so?

Homo Sapiens is at most 80,000 years old-altho' some anthropologists believe that they put in a brief appearance 110,000 years ago only to be crushed.

They developed language and bounced back...

The Bible is but 2500 years old..the Epic of Gilgamesh is but a few centuries older.

Homer was written down in the 6th-7th century BC.

Our first putative historian was Herodotus (450 BC) and our next one (primus inter pares) was Thucydides in ?404 BC

It is but an eye blink in time.

By the way..I am not a Christian-so no use having a shot at me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1