Jump to content
BANGKOK
ivor bigun

Do you believe in God and why

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Skeptic7 said:

🤡😆😂😆😅😜🤡

Take a rest now, it must have taken some effort to type something like that 🙂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Surely innovative people are a minority, i take it as a fact.

But it's also true that you need a lot of people doing "normal" jobs to pay scientists to research, in ancient times and modern times.

I think that science has reached a sort of peak, if it's true that they intend to clone humans, i would prefer the scientists to do nothing at all.

Perhaps your 2nd paragraph is closer to the truth than i like to think, in fact i banned the tv  from my home since some 40 years, there's nothing like that, together with alcohol, to make the people dull.

 

I may not agree with everything you say, but thanks anyway for your intellectual honesty 😉

 

I don't have a tv that is connected to free to air tv as it's all garbage and ads now, IMO, and I won't pay just for a few shows on pay tv.

I do have a tv that I use to watch DVDs though. 

The best tv I saw was in the UK where the BBC put on some brilliant shows, but no equivalent in NZ. I did watch tv there.

In Thailand I just watched the movie channels, and a few opinion shows on Fox, which were entertainment more than news.

 

For a period of my life I didn't watch tv at all, and it was better for it. Then I got sucked back in, in the UK and became a tv junkie, but I've gone cold turkey now.

 

I'm going to be cremated so the mad scientists in the future can't clone me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PS, would a clone have a soul?

I saw a very moving film about clones that had been bred to provide parts for people. Called Never Let Me Go. Warning- it's very disturbing for empathetic people- just thinking about it is making me sad, and it's years since I saw it. It was about whether clones have a soul among other things.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm going to be cremated so the mad scientists in the future can't clone me.

 

Oh, they can do much worse damage than cloning you or me.

Science is a wonderful thing if governed by high standards of morals, (which of course are subjective) yet extremely dangerous in the wrong hands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

PS, would a clone have a soul?

They are on the way to create an artificial soul, although i suspect they are already there, be worried, very worried.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

Take a rest now, it must have taken some effort to type something like that 🙂

More effort and thought than the post responded to...☕

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

More effort and thought than the post responded to...☕

Uhm..Yeah.. choosing the emojis and clicking on them must be a hard job :whistling:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

They are on the way to create an artificial soul, although i suspect they are already there, be worried, very worried.

When they ban the Terminator books you will now the gig is up. 

Musk has already launched Skynet, I mean Starlink. And he is busy setting up nueralink as a brain AI interface.

Sci-fi is proving prophetic.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

When they ban the Terminator books you will now the gig is up. 

Musk has already launched Skynet, I mean Starlink. And he is busy setting up nueralink as a brain AI interface.

Sci-fi is proving prophetic.

Science has a dark side, like religion it can, and it will be used to subjugate the masses. Hopefully we'll wake up before it's too late, but, given the intellectual laziness of many, I am not too optimistic.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

🤡😆😂😆😅😜🤡

Posting silly faces like this over someone writing about our Creator (God) and Jesus Christ our (Savior) who died for our sins, shows a lot about you.  Hopefully, you will take the time and effort to actually read the Bible and research what it says.  

 

The good news is, you have until you take your last breath to figure this out.  The bad news is, after you take your last breath it is a done deal.  Choose wisely.  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2019 at 6:37 AM, Elad said:

 Surprisingly, the circumference of the Earth was first calculated in the third century BC by a Greek mathematician called Eratosthenes. He did this using two sticks placed at a known distance apart, and then measured the angle of the shadows cast by the mid-day sun on each stick. 

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eratosthenes

Yes. That is impressive, and also impressive that he was out, maybe, by only 10-15%, according to the Wiki article.
There have been many brilliant individuals in the past who have had insightful ideas which centuries later have been confirmed as broadly correct. Some of course have been proved to be wrong, such as the Emission Theory of sight, that our eyes project a beam of light onto what we see.

 

Democritus, around 400 BC, is often quoted as the first person to come up with the concept of the atom, although his theory at the time was rejected by famous philosophers such as Plato and Aristotle who believed that all matter was composed of the four elements of fire, air, water and earth.

 

What I find interesting is that the concept of the atom could have preceded the times of Democritus by a century or so, in India. The first Indian to come up with that idea was Acharya Kanada who is claimed to have lived around 600 BC, but the dates are not certain.

 

I have no objection to the idea or concept that there is some all-powerful being or entity that created the world and all its forms of life. What I object to is the expression of certainty that such an entity exists, and the completely unscientific, inhumane and unsympathetic manner of maintaining such certainty by torturing and killing those who disagree.
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

Posting silly faces like this over someone writing about our Creator (God) and Jesus Christ our (Savior) who died for our sins, shows a lot about you.  Hopefully, you will take the time and effort to actually read the Bible and research what it says.  

 

The good news is, you have until you take your last breath to figure this out.  The bad news is, after you take your last breath it is a done deal.  Choose wisely.  

Posting about your silly nonexistent god-thing and his(?) virgin birthed offspring when I'm posting actual silly faces that really exist, tells alot about you. 

 

Good news is...none of it matters as they won't send you to silly, made up cartoon hell! 😜

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, VincentRJ said:

Democritus, around 400 BC, is often quoted as the first person to come up with the concept of the atom, although his theory at the time was rejected by famous philosophers such as Plato and Aristotle who believed that all matter was composed of the four elements of fire, air, water and earth.

Democritus, Eratosthenes, and all the Greek philosophers were standing on the shoulders of giants.

Namely, Egyptian and Vedic studies, which were also beneficiaries , in turn, of previous civilisations.

Apparently you haven't yet digested the concept that having the Greeks developed the modern alphabet, they also managed to improve the spreading of the knowledge to unprecedented levels.

Btw, all matter IS composed of, not 4, but 5 basic elements (ether being the 5th); how this could be against the theory of the atom, i have no idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no god.  

However i think a pretty strong case can be made the believing in god has worked from an evolutionary point of view which is probably why it's still around. It may still be working since the religious still tend to breed and survive at a much higher rate that non believers.

Edited by turgid
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

Democritus, Eratosthenes, and all the Greek philosophers were standing on the shoulders of giants.

Namely, Egyptian and Vedic studies, which were also beneficiaries , in turn, of previous civilisations.

Apparently you haven't yet digested the concept that having the Greeks developed the modern alphabet, they also managed to improve the spreading of the knowledge to unprecedented levels.

Btw, all matter IS composed of, not 4, but 5 basic elements (ether being the 5th); how this could be against the theory of the atom, i have no idea.

C'mon now! Isn't it obvious that everyone without exception is 'metaphorically' standing on the shoulders of someone from a previous generation, whether giant or dwarf.

 

We all learn from, and are influenced by, the ideas and culture that surround us. The Neanderthal teenager learns from an elder how to make a flint tool from a piece of hard rock, and if he is unusually bright, creates a different shape which is more effective, and then gets the praise of other people in the group.
The Neanderthals had the required genes to speak a language, but of course it's not known whether they actually developed a spoken language, but they could have.

 

The creation of a spoken language would have been a very long and gradual process involving many of the brightest in many generations standing on the shoulders of previous giants. The same would have applied to the earliest written scripts.

 

The lack of a written script in ancient civilizations, and/or the inability of modern scholars to decipher a script that might appear to be one, reduces the amount and the certainty of the historical knowledge we have of that civilization.

 

The Indus Valley Civilization, which predates the Greek civilization, is a classic example. We haven't yet deciphered the script, so there's a lot about the lifestyle, religion and administrative processes that are uncertain.
https://www.khanacademy.org/humanities/world-history/world-history-beginnings/ancient-india/a/the-indus-river-valley-civilizations
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...