Jump to content
BANGKOK

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

More effort and thought than the post responded to...☕

Uhm..Yeah.. choosing the emojis and clicking on them must be a hard job :whistling:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

They are on the way to create an artificial soul, although i suspect they are already there, be worried, very worried.

When they ban the Terminator books you will now the gig is up. 

Musk has already launched Skynet, I mean Starlink. And he is busy setting up nueralink as a brain AI interface.

Sci-fi is proving prophetic.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

When they ban the Terminator books you will now the gig is up. 

Musk has already launched Skynet, I mean Starlink. And he is busy setting up nueralink as a brain AI interface.

Sci-fi is proving prophetic.

Science has a dark side, like religion it can, and it will be used to subjugate the masses. Hopefully we'll wake up before it's too late, but, given the intellectual laziness of many, I am not too optimistic.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

🤡😆😂😆😅😜🤡

Posting silly faces like this over someone writing about our Creator (God) and Jesus Christ our (Savior) who died for our sins, shows a lot about you.  Hopefully, you will take the time and effort to actually read the Bible and research what it says.  

 

The good news is, you have until you take your last breath to figure this out.  The bad news is, after you take your last breath it is a done deal.  Choose wisely.  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2019 at 6:37 AM, Elad said:

 Surprisingly, the circumference of the Earth was first calculated in the third century BC by a Greek mathematician called Eratosthenes. He did this using two sticks placed at a known distance apart, and then measured the angle of the shadows cast by the mid-day sun on each stick. 

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eratosthenes

Yes. That is impressive, and also impressive that he was out, maybe, by only 10-15%, according to the Wiki article.
There have been many brilliant individuals in the past who have had insightful ideas which centuries later have been confirmed as broadly correct. Some of course have been proved to be wrong, such as the Emission Theory of sight, that our eyes project a beam of light onto what we see.

 

Democritus, around 400 BC, is often quoted as the first person to come up with the concept of the atom, although his theory at the time was rejected by famous philosophers such as Plato and Aristotle who believed that all matter was composed of the four elements of fire, air, water and earth.

 

What I find interesting is that the concept of the atom could have preceded the times of Democritus by a century or so, in India. The first Indian to come up with that idea was Acharya Kanada who is claimed to have lived around 600 BC, but the dates are not certain.

 

I have no objection to the idea or concept that there is some all-powerful being or entity that created the world and all its forms of life. What I object to is the expression of certainty that such an entity exists, and the completely unscientific, inhumane and unsympathetic manner of maintaining such certainty by torturing and killing those who disagree.
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

Posting silly faces like this over someone writing about our Creator (God) and Jesus Christ our (Savior) who died for our sins, shows a lot about you.  Hopefully, you will take the time and effort to actually read the Bible and research what it says.  

 

The good news is, you have until you take your last breath to figure this out.  The bad news is, after you take your last breath it is a done deal.  Choose wisely.  

Posting about your silly nonexistent god-thing and his(?) virgin birthed offspring when I'm posting actual silly faces that really exist, tells alot about you. 

 

Good news is...none of it matters as they won't send you to silly, made up cartoon hell! 😜

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, VincentRJ said:

Democritus, around 400 BC, is often quoted as the first person to come up with the concept of the atom, although his theory at the time was rejected by famous philosophers such as Plato and Aristotle who believed that all matter was composed of the four elements of fire, air, water and earth.

Democritus, Eratosthenes, and all the Greek philosophers were standing on the shoulders of giants.

Namely, Egyptian and Vedic studies, which were also beneficiaries , in turn, of previous civilisations.

Apparently you haven't yet digested the concept that having the Greeks developed the modern alphabet, they also managed to improve the spreading of the knowledge to unprecedented levels.

Btw, all matter IS composed of, not 4, but 5 basic elements (ether being the 5th); how this could be against the theory of the atom, i have no idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no god.  

However i think a pretty strong case can be made the believing in god has worked from an evolutionary point of view which is probably why it's still around. It may still be working since the religious still tend to breed and survive at a much higher rate that non believers.

Edited by turgid
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

Democritus, Eratosthenes, and all the Greek philosophers were standing on the shoulders of giants.

Namely, Egyptian and Vedic studies, which were also beneficiaries , in turn, of previous civilisations.

Apparently you haven't yet digested the concept that having the Greeks developed the modern alphabet, they also managed to improve the spreading of the knowledge to unprecedented levels.

Btw, all matter IS composed of, not 4, but 5 basic elements (ether being the 5th); how this could be against the theory of the atom, i have no idea.

C'mon now! Isn't it obvious that everyone without exception is 'metaphorically' standing on the shoulders of someone from a previous generation, whether giant or dwarf.

 

We all learn from, and are influenced by, the ideas and culture that surround us. The Neanderthal teenager learns from an elder how to make a flint tool from a piece of hard rock, and if he is unusually bright, creates a different shape which is more effective, and then gets the praise of other people in the group.
The Neanderthals had the required genes to speak a language, but of course it's not known whether they actually developed a spoken language, but they could have.

 

The creation of a spoken language would have been a very long and gradual process involving many of the brightest in many generations standing on the shoulders of previous giants. The same would have applied to the earliest written scripts.

 

The lack of a written script in ancient civilizations, and/or the inability of modern scholars to decipher a script that might appear to be one, reduces the amount and the certainty of the historical knowledge we have of that civilization.

 

The Indus Valley Civilization, which predates the Greek civilization, is a classic example. We haven't yet deciphered the script, so there's a lot about the lifestyle, religion and administrative processes that are uncertain.
https://www.khanacademy.org/humanities/world-history/world-history-beginnings/ancient-india/a/the-indus-river-valley-civilizations
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, VincentRJ said:

C'mon now! Isn't it obvious that everyone without exception is 'metaphorically' standing on the shoulders of someone from a previous generation, whether giant or dwarf.

 

Glad to hear that is obvious for you now.

 

26 minutes ago, VincentRJ said:

The lack of a written script in ancient civilizations, and/or the inability of modern scholars to decipher a script that might appear to be one, reduces the amount and the certainty of the historical knowledge we have of that civilization.

 

Thanks for stating the obvious, i would add that the lack of a script doesn't imply a lack of culture, knowledge and intelligence. The Aztecs knew the wheel, and used the wheel to make toys, but they never thought to use it for trade and war, they were ok without that.

 

27 minutes ago, VincentRJ said:

The Indus Valley Civilization, which predates the Greek civilization, is a classic example. We haven't yet deciphered the script, so there's a lot about the lifestyle, religion and administrative processes that are uncertain.

If you have some spare time one day, i suggest you to read something which is not part of the mainstream narrative about ancient people, but it makes a lot of sense if you look at the bigger picture.

That's the history of the races and the lost continents, also R.Steiner has a word of 2 to say about that.

We have that wrong idea of the Neanderthals being ignorant brutes, but, despite having a daily fight for survival, those people were carrying all the good and bad qualities of the modern human.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Thanks for stating the obvious, i would add that the lack of a script doesn't imply a lack of culture, knowledge and intelligence. The Aztecs knew the wheel, and used the wheel to make toys, but they never thought to use it for trade and war, they were ok without that.

You seem to be contradicting yourself. You praise the Greeks for developing a script which helps to spread knowledge to unprecedented levels, then state that the lack of a script doesn't imply a lack of culture.

 

And why mention the Aztecs? These tribal people adopted the language and script of the Nahua people in central Mexico, after they had migrated from the northern part of Mexico. They engaged in a lot of warfare, and if they didn't use the wheel for either trade or war, it was probably because they lived in a very hilly environment without roads, so it wasn't practical.

 

I don't find the Aztec culture at all inspiring. http://www.sjsu.edu/faculty/watkins/aztecs.htm

 

"Aztec society suffered under a tremendous burden of a religion which held that the god of the Sun needed to be fed human hearts in order to make the daily journey from east to west. This meant that the Aztecs needed to wage nearly constant war to capture sacrificial victims. Thus in their warfare the Aztecs tried not to kill their enemies in battle but to take them alive. This religious burden drained labor away from productive enterprises and required substantial effort and resources be devoted to supplying the army with weapons and sustenance."

 

We have that wrong idea of the Neanderthals being ignorant brutes, but, despite having a daily fight for survival, those people were carrying all the good and bad qualities of the modern human.

 

I don't have that wrong idea. They are sometime described as Homo Sapiens Neanderthalensis, as opposed to Homo Sapiens Sapiens, which is us. However, it's not true to claim they carry all of the good and bad qualities of modern humans. There's a slight genetic difference, but not as great as the difference between modern humans and Chimpanzees or Gorillas. You could describe Neanderthals as one of the 'missing links', or a sub-species of Homo Sapiens Sapiens.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, VincentRJ said:

You seem to be contradicting yourself. You praise the Greeks for developing a script which helps to spread knowledge to unprecedented levels, then state that the lack of a script doesn't imply a lack of culture.

No, i'm not contradicting myself. Culture can exist without any script. Before the script, erudites used to have amazing memory btw.

Did it look like i was praising the Greeks ? Not more than the Assyrian-Babylonians or the Egyptians.. Or the Romans. just about different stages of the evolution of the script. Of course i have a great admiration for all these cultures and many others !

31 minutes ago, VincentRJ said:

And why mention the Aztecs?

I could have mentioned the Chinese, who invented gunpowder, but never thought of using it for killing enemies... My point was that creativity is not always put in practical use.

 

37 minutes ago, VincentRJ said:

I don't have that wrong idea. They are sometime described as Homo Sapiens Neanderthalensis, as opposed to Homo Sapiens Sapiens, which is us.

Yes, but as you know very well, in common speech, at least in my country and i guess a few others, calling someone "neanderthal" is not exactly a compliment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

No, i'm not contradicting myself. Culture can exist without any script. Before the script, erudites used to have amazing memory btw.

Of course culture can exist without any script. There seems to be some confusion about the definition of 'culture'. You seem to be using the term in an 'either/or' context. That is, a society either has a culture or it doesn't, and that the lack of a written script does not mean that the society has no culture. I would agree with the latter part, that lack of a script does not mean 'no culture'.

 

I've assumed that we both understand that all societies or tribes have some sort of 'culture', even the Neanderthals. My point was that a society that has developed a written script has increased the sophistication and strength of its culture, and that a society that hasn't developed a written script is lacking in that degree of cultural sophistication that a written script bestows, not that it is completely lacking a culture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

... read the Bible and research what it says.  

 

The good news is, you have until you take your last breath to figure this out.  The bad news is, after you take your last breath it is a done deal.  Choose wisely.  

 

Maybe you are right,

I am convinced you think you are. 

 

So far I am only convinced of :

"after you take your last breath,

it is done". 

 

But maybe I am wrong, at 71, I will soon (or later) find out, 

and will know about your god, or another "something", 

 

or than maybe not. 

 

Anyway, I will not change anything in my life in whatever perspective. 

 

I am not afraid of death,

I had/have basically a good life, I tried/try to do good and not intentionally bad,

but primordially respect every opinion. 

 

I hope for you, you feel and do the same;

However I doubt you respect another opinion than yours. 

 

We are all different. 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, VincentRJ said:

That is, a society either has a culture or it doesn't, and that the lack of a written script does not mean that the society has no culture. I would agree with the latter part, that lack of a script does not mean 'no culture'.

Of course we agree on that, i gave a quick look at my previous posts, and i didn't see anything wrong.

Well, no big deal, English is not my first language, and some lack of accuracy is quite likely on my part.

1 hour ago, VincentRJ said:

My point was that a society that has developed a written script has increased the sophistication and strength of its culture, and that a society that hasn't developed a written script is lacking in that degree of cultural sophistication that a written script bestows, not that it is completely lacking a culture.

Well, perhaps we could 'split hairs' and discuss the meaning of 'cultural sophistication' but i agree in general with what you say.

My point was that every culture owes a great deal to previous cultures, and , in modern times as in ancient times, we have to separate the useless from the useful, leave the useless behind and possibly develop the useful part.

Now, given that happiness and peace of mind are easily the goals of every rational sentient being, i have the impression that a lot of people seem to be not very rational.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...