Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

5 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

I personally, would not want to be a non-believer on Judgement Day.

There is indeed fearless needed to be a non-believer.

If he is right, and there is nothing, well nothing will happen.

But if he is wrong and there is for instance your God, this may not come out very well for the non-believer. 

For you it is easy, if your God exist, you will be,I assume, OK,

if there is nothing, well you will not know.

1 hour ago, luckyluke said:

But if he is wrong and there is for instance your God, this may not come out very well for the non-believer. 

Pascal's Wager. All been gone over ad nauseam. But since we're playing "what if" again...what if the believer has the wrong one? What if Satan is the good one and all the others are the deceivers? What if...what if...what if???

Who cares?!? ????????

Beer:30! ????

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, luckyluke said:

There is a big risk risk taken to be a believer also. the risk of having foolishly compromised the one chance on life. 

19 minutes ago, sirineou said:

There is a big risk risk taken to be a believer also. the risk of having foolishly compromised the one chance on life. 

"Damn, just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in". ????

Please explain how my one life has been compromised. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

"Damn, just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in". ????

Please explain how my one life has been compromised. 

I don't know you personally so i can't comment on how your life has being compromised by your personal beliefs,  but I could endeavour to speculate that the guy who blew himself up shouting "god is great" had his/hers life slightly compromised. LOL

That is one extreme example if you like I could come up with many other small but insidious  ways.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

I don't know you personally so i can't comment on how your life has being compromised by your personal beliefs,  but I could endeavour to speculate that the guy who blew himself up shouting "god is great" had his/hers life slightly compromised. LOL

That is one extreme example if you like I could come up with many other small but insidious  ways.  

Well, I could list just as many examples of people who did extraordinary things thanks to their belief and faith, and I've got another list where extreme materialism was the cause for people's downfalls.
But I get what you're trying to say. It's just that mentioning some extreme cases says nothing about the vast majority of the target group.

15 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

Well, I could list just as many examples of people who did extraordinary things thanks to their belief and faith, and I've got another list where extreme materialism was the cause for people's downfalls.
But I get what you're trying to say. It's just that 

Sure you could, and i would join you,

but given the Billions that have lived and died , I am sure you would agree that the thousands or even the hundreds that have being inspired by religion are a small percentage of,  and who is to say that they would not have produced such inspired works with in a secular environment, as en example, one might say that Michelangelo  was compromised by religion to the degree that it limited the  scope of his creativity, and that Galileo certainly was compromised. 

mentioning some extreme cases says nothing about the vast majority of the target group.

that's why I made sure to say ".That is one extreme example if you like I could come up with many other small but insidious  ways.   "

One not so extreme example would be the gay person who is forced to compromise his sexuality.  There are many. An other personal one is when my mother lost a child before it was baptised and on top of the devastation of the event, the Mother <deleted>#*rs would not allow her to bury her child in the church that she was brought up in, and give her the confort she deserved, and was told that her baby girl would burn in hell forever, she talked about that to the day she died. 

All because that they wanted everyone to join their club before they had a chance to decide for themselves. 

I never forgot about this and never will.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, sirineou said:

and who is to say that they would not have produced such inspired works with in a secular environment, as en example, one might say that Michelangelo  was compromised by religion to the degree that it limited the  scope of his creativity, and that Galileo certainly was compromised. 

Sorry to cut your post, but what you are saying is quite misinformed imho.

Afaik, Michelangelo was paid good money by the church, otherwise he could not have painted his frescos.

In the middle age, most of the science work was done by monks, not many other folks knew even to write or read !

18 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Sorry to cut your post, but what you are saying is quite misinformed imho.

Afaik, Michelangelo was paid good money by the church, otherwise he could not have painted his frescos.

In the middle age, most of the science work was done by monks, not many other folks knew even to write or read !

I am sure he was paid good money by the church but the scope of his creativity was also limited by that. 

Who is to know what works of art he would have produced otherwise. I can't believe creativity would not have happened without the church as it did happen before.

But my line of reasoning is not about specific cases but on how,  religious conviction , IF misguided have significantly compromised lives in general. Any misguided life is by definition,  compromised to that degree. 

PS: will be traveling soon, so logging of and wont be back for a few days

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

But my line of reasoning is not about specific cases but on how,  religious conviction , IF misguided have significantly compromised lives in general. Any misguided life is by definition,  compromised to that degree. 

Understand your "line of reasoning" and still think you are completely wrong, sorry.

Without the unifying role of religion there would not have been script, science and society as we know it, we would probably still divided into bands and tribes throwing stones against other bands and tribes.

Like it or not.

Now it's easy to throw curses at religions, but modern society, even with its faults, owes a lot to it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I am sure he was paid good money by the church but the scope of his creativity was also limited by that. 

Who is to know what works of art he would have produced otherwise. I can't believe creativity would not have happened without the church as it did happen before.

Agreed. Any MISGUIDED belief is dangerous, not just religious ones.
Which lays the problem at the feet of the misguided individuals, and not the system itself. That's how you can have people praising God, the bible and poor Jesus, while at the same time condemning gays and all the other idiocies you mentioned. An another one, following the same ideology, but able to actually live Jesus' teachings.
Basically, it's not God's fault if there are so many who can't take their heads out of their backsides.

Edited by Sunmaster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

So you are saying that God loves all other people who worship other Gods  as well ,do their Gods love people who do not worship them ,but worship your God? and your all certain that yours is the right and only God.

After all the debate over 400 pages I thought we had determined that "God" has little to nothing to do with man made religions. Apparently I was wrong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

After all the debate over 400 pages I thought we had determined that "God" has little to nothing to do with man made religions. Apparently I was wrong.

Where you're wrong is that this thread constitutes a "debate". It's people shouting their preconceived opinions at each other. In a debate the chances are you'll shift several people to a different paradigm - can you name half-a-dozen posters in this thread who've said the equivalent of "you've opened my eyes and I must reconsider my position"?

Edited by ThaiBunny

10 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Where you're wrong is that this thread constitutes a "debate". It's people shouting their preconceived opinions at each other. In a debate the chances are you'll shift several people to a different paradigm - can you name half-a-dozen posters in this thread who've said the equivalent of "you've opened my eyes and I must reconsider my position"?

I've said a few times that my belief in God has changed as a result of this thread.

BTW, the "debate" has been going on between the believers, as none of the non believers had any intention of being open to the alternative, IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThaiBunny said:

Bible bashers are brainwashed. Facts don't matter. Same with climate loonies. Total brainwashing. Closed mind. No concept of science. No understanding of logic. There's 3bn people who cannot even understand basic facts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I've said a few times that my belief in God has changed as a result of this thread.

BTW, the "debate" has been going on between the believers, as none of the non believers had any intention of being open to the alternative, IMO.

People need facts. That's all they want.

Show us a photo of god

Prove Jesus was his son

Prove he was reborn

If people cannot supply basic facts why would any logical person join some cult?

Nobody buys a car without seeing it exists and it has papers.

Why would they buy religion?

Based on a fictional book?

Nobody buys a car based on a novel that the car might exist.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

Only if god has made them that way 

God also created opportunities to better ourselves through knowledge. Men's ignorance is men made.

Too many people prefer to choose the blue pill of ignorance than being rattled by the inconvenient and uncomfortable red pill.

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sunmaster said:

God also created opportunities to better ourselves through knowledge. Men's ignorance is men made.

Too many people prefer to choose the blue pill of ignorance than being rattled by the inconvenient and uncomfortable red pill.

How convenient God makes everything good, all bad are done by the other guy, God sound like trump to me. 

• Like 2