BANGKOK
ivor bigun

Do you believe in God and why

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You missed the bit I added to that post.

We do know that Jesus said "I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." Doesn't sound very pacifist to me.

Yes, i know that bit, and it was prophetical indeed, whether we believe or not that Jesus said that.

...But the fact that he foresaw the "Christians" colonising half of the world does not make him a war monger imho.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, giddyup said:

At least I'm not copying and pasting most of my comments.

Honestly, you are not adding very much to the discussion :coffee1:

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

As far as i know, the only time Jesus was angry, is when he went to the temple and scolded the priests for being greedy.

He also gets angry at a fig tree for being out of season and not bearing fruit when he is hungry. He curses it and it withers and dies. Shouldn't he have KNOWN the tree was barren? Couldn't he have just conjured up a snack?

Just a myth or certainly just a man...IF he ever even existed at all. ☕

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mauGR1 said:

2 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Probably not, it's all been said before ad infinitum, but neither is cmnightrider with his endless copying and pasting of bible passages. I might add that your comment isn't adding anything either.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

He also gets angry at a fig tree for being out of season and not bearing when he is hungry. He curses it and it withers and dies. Shouldn't he have KNOWN the tree was barren? Couldn't he have just conjured up a snack?

Just a myth or certainly just a man...IF he ever even existed at all. ☕

Lol, later i will search the fig tree bit, it is in some very dark and dusty corner of my memory.

As he was using parables to describe spiritual realities ( i know that you don't believe they exist, so pls spare me the insults), those parables need to be understood and meditated, and not criticised at face value.

Some of those parables took me decades to understand.

I definitely think that Jesus existed, but i can concede that details of his life could be exaggerated, distorted and possibly totally made up.

7 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Probably not, it's all been said before ad infinitum, but neither is cmnightrider with his endless copying and pasting of bible passages. I might add that your comment isn't adding anything either.

You are welcome to discuss the topic, i think you know that very well.

Yes, i criticised your post, it's like playing chess with some unruly child who thinks that overturning the table is a good strategy.

A bit annoying if you ask me.

The myth-man also okays beating servants (slaves). Luke 12:47-48

Is that a parable too? 

Edited by Skeptic7

2 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

You are welcome to discuss the topic, i think you know that very well.

Yes, i criticised your post, it's like playing chess with some unruly child who thinks that overturning the table is a good strategy.

A bit annoying if you ask me.

Here's a bit of christian advice, turn the other cheek, or in this case ignore my comments.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Here's a bit of christian advice, turn the other cheek, or in this case ignore my comments.

Well, thanks for the advice, it sounds quite reasonable :smile:

52 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

The myth-man also okays beating servants (slaves). Luke 12:47-48

Is that a parable too? 

Slavery was considered normal 2000 years ago, i am glad that you are against it.

So, after having dismissed all the religious things as fairy tales, now you are citing the gospels ?

Can you explain this apparent contradiction ?

Just before you get to excited, i'm reasonably skeptical about any religious script, i made it quite clear, but, as the Latins said, "repetita juvant" (repetitions help)

• Like 1

Yes Jesus did speak some hard messages about the days to come. A time when the atheists and other religions will hate the Christians and the Christians will have hard choices to make. He was correct of course. Today Christianity is the most persecuted religion in the world. They are the victims of 80% of all acts of religious discrimination.  LINK Amazing that he knew he would have a global effect.

Not Peace but Division (Luke 12)

49 “I have come to bring fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled! 50 But I have a baptism to undergo, and what constraint I am under until it is completed! 51 Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division. 52 From now on there will be five in one family divided against each other, three against two and two against three. 53 They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law.”

Edited by canuckamuck

13 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Slavery was considered normal 2000 years ago, i am glad that you are against it.

So, after having dismissed all the religious things as fairy tales, now you are citing the gospels ?

Can you explain this apparent contradiction ?

Just before you get to excited, i'm reasonably skeptical about any religious script, i made it quite clear, but, as the Latins said, "repetita juvant" (repetitions help)

There is no contradiction. I know u r more intelligent than this, so why play the Strawman move and divert everytime you've been had? I only cite from these silly books and superstitions (and spiritual mumbo jumbo) for the sake of the discussion. 

Slavery was acceptable back then, but that is not the issue. Shouldn't the pacifist and all good, loving, caring, peaceful, fair and wise prophet have advised AGAINST beating them??? 

THAT is the point and u totally missed it...or did u? 

(Also referencing the gospels shows that this lifelong atheist knows at least as much...and usually more...about this holey book of BS than those whom claim to believe in this particular superstition) ☕

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

There is no contradiction. I know u r more intelligent than this, so why play the Strawman move and divert everytime you've been had? I only cite from these silly books and superstitions (and spiritual mumbo jumbo) for the sake of the discussion. 

Slavery was acceptable back then, but that is not the issue. Shouldn't the pacifist and all good, loving, caring, peaceful, fair and wise prophet have advised AGAINST beating them??? 

(Also referencing the gospels shows that this lifelong atheist knows at least as much...and usually more...about this holey book of BS than those whom claim to believe in this particular superstition) ☕

Please show where he was advising beating. He was only stating that if a trusted slave broke that trust, It was well known that slave was going to get beat. Slavery was a reality in the whole world for almost 1900 years after he made that statement.

Edited by canuckamuck
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Skeptic7 said:

No, sorry, my point is that you are 'cherry picking' from the 'holey BS', to prove that Jesus was in favour of slavery.

So apparently, "for the sake of discussion" you choose to believe a little part of the gospels to be true.

My point is that the holy books and the gospels might have most likely been misinterpreted, if not corrupted, during 1000's of years, so i take from them what i believe to be reasonable and true.

7 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Please show where he was advising beating. He was only stating that if a trusted slave broke that trust, It was well known that slave was going to get beat. Slavery was a reality in the whole world for almost 1900 years after he made that statement.

... And still a reality nowadays in some part of the world.

• Like 1