BANGKOK
ivor bigun

Do you believe in God and why

2 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

My point is that the holy books and the gospels might have most likely been misinterpreted, if not corrupted, during 1000's of years, so i take from them what i believe to be reasonable and true.

So what part do you choose to believe if the "holy book and gospels" have been misinterpreted or corrupted? Different sects and cults have interpreted the bible in whatever ways suit them, ie old men taking many underage girls as their "brides" purely for sexual gratification.

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

So what part do you choose to believe if the "holy book and gospels" have been misinterpreted or corrupted? Different sects and cults have interpreted the bible in whatever ways suit them, ie old men taking many underage girls as their "brides" purely for sexual gratification.

That would be a long story, but enough said that my choosing criteria have the respect of all human beings as a basic principle.

So, i believe that buying underage brides is immoral and shameful. Like any kind of slavery and exploitation.

2 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

That would be a long story, but enough said that my choosing criteria have the respect of all human beings as a basic principle.

So, i believe that buying underage brides is immoral and shameful. Like any kind of slavery and exploitation.

I didn't say anything about buying, I said that different christian cults and sects have interpreted the bible in whichever ways suit their own ends, Those underage girls often went willingly and with the blessing of their parents to please so-called prophets.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I didn't say anything about buying, I said that different christian cults and sects have interpreted the bible in whichever ways suit their own ends, Those underage girls often went willingly and with the blessing of their parents to please so-called prophets.

What specifically are you talking about? 

5 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Yes, at the time, given that life was shorter, and procreation seen as necessary, it was quite normal, but you are intelligent enough to notice that times have changed.

Yes, cults and sects interpret the bible in whichever ways suits their own ends.

So do i, and apparently so do you.

The difference is that i try to pick the best, and you try to pick the worst.

Edited by mauGR1

1 minute ago, canuckamuck said:

What specifically are you talking about? 

Follow the conversation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

Follow the conversation.

No, what story in the bible are you talking about? Underage girls going off to please prophets?

Just now, mauGR1 said:

Yes, at the time, given that life was shorter, and procreation seen as necessary, it was quite normal, but you are intelligent enough to notice that time have changed.

Yes, cults and sects interpret the bible in whichever ways suits their own ends.

So do i, and apparently so do you.

The difference is that i try to pick the best, and you try to pick the worst.

I don't interpret the bible at all, and I don't believe in god either. People can still choose to live a decent life without exploiting or causing harm to others without all that mumbo jumbo.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

No, what story in the bible are you talking about? Underage girls going off to please prophets?

If you took the time to actually read what I said I wouldn't need to explain it to you. MauGR1 was saying that he interpreted the bible as he saw fit, I said that other sects and cults have done the same thing to suit their own personal evil agendas.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

Just now, giddyup said:

I don't interpret the bible at all, and I don't believe in god either. People can still choose to live a decent life without exploiting or causing harm to others without all that mumbo jumbo.

Surely i agree, but i think humanism has its origin in the endless search for a decent cohabitation among humans, and religion has played a major role in the history in unifying a fragmented tribal society.

If we have hospitals, schools, and, although far from perfect, a civil society, it's also thanks to religion.

That's my point, i would never support a holy book or any religion, i support your freedom to choose whatever is good for you.

I am interested in spirituality, which is inherently against any fanaticism, i think i'm not damaging anyone with that.

9 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I said that other sects and cults have done the same thing to suit their own personal evil agendas.

That has been debated ad nauseam.

Now, if i pick a stick and beat you, you wouldn't blame the stick, would you ?

13 minutes ago, giddyup said:

If you took the time to actually read what I said I wouldn't need to explain it to you. MauGR1 was saying that he interpreted the bible as he saw fit, I said that other sects and cults have done the same thing to suit their own personal evil agendas.

But I have read it. I am having trouble recalling this activity you describe. Surely you can give me some more info?

Edit: Oh I think I get it, you made that up and compared other groups to the Christians. I thought you said that was in The Bible

Edited by canuckamuck

1 minute ago, mauGR1 said:

That has been debated ad nauseam.

Now, if i pick a stick and beat you, you wouldn't blame the stick, would you ?

Goodness me, why do I have to explain everything? It was you who said that you interpreted the bible as you saw fit because of it's corruption by interpretation over the years, and I said that is no different that the various sects and cults (Waco, Jim Jones, etc) that have interpreted the bible to suit their own agendas. Everybody can interpret it differently is my point, get it?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

Goodness me, why do I have to explain everything?

That is entirely your choice. Nobody is forcing you.

Actually you have not explained anything which i didn't know already.

So for you the Bible is bad because some bad people have misinterpreted it.

Ok, got it.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

But I have read it. I am having trouble recalling this activity you describe. Surely you can give me some more info?

Edit: Oh I think I get it, you made that up and compared other groups to the Christians. I thought you said that was in The Bible

Are you seriously asking me to name all the different christian sects and cults that have interpreted the bible to suit their own evil purposes? I can certainly name a couple of the more well known like the Branch Davidians and The Peoples Temple.