Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

9 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

I participate quite a bit. It's not politics here. I am not being unkind for saying so. And reactions should not bother you, everyone gets them.

It does not bother me , but based from your reactions you seem to be very confused without giving any indication why. It is IMO a lame attempt to indicate that you somehow know better but you are above sharing it with as lesser mortals.

As far as the politics involved I did not see you react with any type of emoji to the person who asked the political question I answered. That in itself is  a biased political reaction where mine at least was a factual political reaction.      

• Sad 1

On 2/12/2020 at 1:46 PM, mauGR1 said:

Yes, i do many mistakes, but i am happy to be corrected; quite different from some people here ????

Well, I am not the one who argue and defend my views to the bitter end, so I guess its important for you to be or try to be on top of your convincing game. You are the best sir! Have a good evening. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Tagged said:

Well, I am not the one who argue and defend my views to the bitter end, so I guess its important for you to be or try to be on top of your convincing game. You are the best sir! Have a good evening. 

I don't know what you are on about, just to be clear, i'd like to discuss the topic, and i'm not interested in trolling.

Thanks for understanding.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

It does not bother me , but based from your reactions you seem to be very confused without giving any indication why. It is IMO a lame attempt to indicate that you somehow know better but you are above sharing it with as lesser mortals.

As far as the politics involved I did not see you react with any type of emoji to the person who asked the political question I answered. That in itself is  a biased political reaction where mine at least was a factual political reaction.      

I don't know what question youbasked

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

I am wondering why any politics is being discussed here at all, regardless of anything left right or otherwise. What are you attacking me for? For pointing out the subject of the topic?  What does that have to with your reasons for insulting me? Politics have to be brought into everything?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

Yeah I am out. This was about God, religion, spirituality, atheism, philosophy, and seems to have degenerated into insult and politics.

It's not the first time, but if it's true that God is everything, nothing is off topic here.

Feel free to post your opinions on the subject and ignore what you think is not worth discussing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, WalkingOrders said:

Yeah I am out. This was about God, religion, spirituality, atheism, philosophy, and seems to have degenerated into insult and politics.

To be fair, Sirineou and I had a brief political scuffle back there but we set it aside, this thread is no longer about politics and it never really was. Please stick around, this thread keeps resurrecting itself and your comments are interesting.

• Like 1

Wow is this thread still going ,just looked back in to see  if people still believe in God ,someone told me the other day that they really do believe that when they get to heaven they will see Jesus ,she really believed it ,i was going to say that he must be very busy the amount of people that die every day ,but thought better of it .

And St Peter must get worn out opening those pearly gates . 

On 2/14/2020 at 9:37 PM, sirineou said:

I have no problem believing that it all came from somewhere. I don't think there is no one in the world that does not. Atheist or not.I am also sure that somewhere came from somewhere ,and so on and so forth.

I have a problem with an old guy, creating as in his own image, watching us all the time,  meddling in our affairs. and having a special relationship with with a group of people whom he gives instruction on how we should all behave, and entrusts these people with the responsibility to instruct as in his ways under threat of severe punishment.

I don't know.... call me a doubting Thomas, but i suspect they might be full of .............

Oh dear, you are still on the religion argument when most of us that are pro God gave that up hundreds of pages ago.

I suppose if religion isn't under discussion there isn't much case against God.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2020 at 10:18 AM, Elad said:

With the universe made up of "positive/negative energies" and "particle/antiparticle pairs" with "positive/negative charges" then this could suggest that the universe did indeed come from nothing.

In the 1920's Paul Dirac combined special relativity and quantum mechanics, and his equations predicted that antimatter exists... Later, lab experiments have shown that the vacuum of space is filled with a form of particle - antiparticle pairs being created from nothing, where energy is borrowed from nothing creating the particle pairs which then annihilate, paying back the borrowed energy.

996858985_vpgiff.gif.c2790580a9853e2997514da13f9087c7.gif 

We call them 'virtual particles' because they only exist for a very short period of time and are not considered real particles. However, in an accelerating frame, 'virtual particles' can become 'real particles' and in the very early universe according to the BB theory the universe had a period of inflation where the space expanded so rapidly,  virtual particles became real. Somehow though there was an imbalance of particle pairs and matter was favoured over antimatter.

Humans are too primitive to actually "know" much about life the universe and everything. The really sad thing is that some scientists think they do and some people believe them.

If humans exist long enough without polluting the species into extinction, one day, far far in the future they may become able to use the parts of the brain that are currently not used and actually understand something about life the universe and everything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/15/2020 at 3:48 AM, sirineou said:

II doubt it was built, and certainly know it was not build for us. If it was why is 99.9% of it hostile to us, and inaccessible by us. I personally think it is a big waste of energy and material to create a whole planet to house a sand flea. I think a sandy beach would have being more than adequate. 

Only arrogant humans would have believed that the universe was created just for us. That is something that should have been abandoned at the same time as it was discovered that the earth is not the center of the universe. Sadly, many still think that we are important on a cosmic scale, when humanity will likely exist for a mere blink of a cosmic eye. We are certainly doing our very best to pollute ourselves into extinction.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Humans are too primitive to actually "know" much about life the universe and everything. The really sad thing is that some scientists think they do and some people believe them.

If humans exist long enough without polluting the species into extinction, one day, far far in the future they may become able to use the parts of the brain that are currently not used and actually understand something about life the universe and everything.

I believe that eventually we'll make it there, one way or another, as the desire of today is the reality of tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Do enlighten us - what are the parts of the brain that are not currently used?

The part that wants to live in harmony with others and nature, and become better people.

On the other hand, the parts that are used for hatred, killing and destruction of our environment for greed are very much overused.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The part that wants to live in harmony with others and nature, and become better people.

Where is that physically located within the brain? The prefrontal lobe? The cerebrum? Where's your medical evidence that there are parts of the brain we are not using?

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Only arrogant humans would have believed that the universe was created just for us. That is something that should have been abandoned at the same time as it was discovered that the earth is not the center of the universe. Sadly, many still think that we are important on a cosmic scale, when humanity will likely exist for a mere blink of a cosmic eye. We are certainly doing our very best to pollute ourselves into extinction.

Although i would not be too harsh in condemning the whole humankind for the current situation, i agree that the probabilities of our planet hosting the most developed form of life in the whole universe is close to zero.

1 minute ago, mauGR1 said:

Although i would not be too harsh in condemning the whole humankind for the current situation, i agree that the probabilities of our planet hosting the most developed form of life in the whole universe is close to zero.

An actually intelligent species would not spend more on weapons of war than helping people, pollute itself into extinction, and overpopulate itself beyond the ability of the environment to sustain it.

If God is actually taking an interest in planet earth and hasn't done a Pontius Pilate, IMO we will have received a big fat fail on our exam report.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

An actually intelligent species would not spend more on weapons of war than helping people, pollute itself into extinction, and overpopulate itself beyond the ability of the environment to sustain it.

If God is actually taking an interest in planet earth and hasn't done a Pontius Pilate, IMO we will have received a big fat fail on our exam report.

Well, as a species we are intelligent, but perhaps less than we think.

I had a vision many years ago, as love and conflict being two sides of the same coin.

Too much love creates overpopulation, and overpopulation creates conflict.

Conflict, on the other hand, spurs creativity and intelligence, and we are back to love again.

I see it as a cycle (Samsara) ;  a very tiny number can free themselves from the cycle, we can change ourselves, but humans, as a species are wired that way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/15/2020 at 1:52 AM, VincentRJ said:

Wrong! We can see feelings. The expression on a person's face is an indication of how he/she feels. Surely you can recognize a facial expression of anger before a person punches you in the nose, or a facial expression of sadness, or joy, or revulsion, or disgust, and so on.

What about a blind person, if the person that hates them does not speak? Even a blind person will understand a punch in the face though.

1 minute ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, as a species we are intelligent, but perhaps less than we think.

I had a vision many years ago, as love and conflict being two sides of the same coin.

Too much love creates overpopulation, and overpopulation creates conflict.

Conflict, on the other hand, spurs creativity and intelligence, and we are back to love again.

I see it as a cycle (Samsara) ;  a very tiny number can free themselves from the cycle, we can change ourselves, but humans, as a species are wired that way.

You, IMO, confuse "love" with sex. Love exists without sex. If someone truly "loves", they will not cause another human being to be born if they can't be "loved" and cherished, and their environment can't sustain them.

Overpopulation is created by people that do not "love" but want to have sex regardless of the byproduct. I don't call that "love", but ignorance and selfishness.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ThaiBunny said:

So there's a possibility that She isn't, in which case what's the point of the discussion?

Perhaps the point is trying to understand more about the intelligent design ?

..But, as you asked that question, perhaps you have the answer ?

2 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Perhaps the point is trying to understand more about the intelligent design ?

..But, as you asked that question, perhaps you have the answer ?

Intelligent design is your answer but how does it show that God is currently taking an interest in planet Earth?

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

You, IMO, confuse "love" with sex. Love exists without sex. If someone truly "loves", they will not cause another human being to be born if they can't be "loved" and cherished, and their environment can't sustain them.

Overpopulation is created by people that do not "love" but want to have sex regardless of the byproduct. I don't call that "love", but ignorance and selfishness.

No, i am not confusing.

Love is a broad concept, and includes the reproduction process.

Sex is the bait.

Without sex, very few would choose to reproduce.

When i was in love with my ex-wife, i loved her to bits, i enjoyed the sex a lot, and i was willing to reproduce.

One son, crazy as me, and one daughter as gifted as her mother.

Mission accomplished ????

1 minute ago, ThaiBunny said:

Intelligent design is your answer but how does it show that God is currently taking an interest in planet Earth?

I see God as eternal, thus non-born, above our comprehension, and a plethora of superior beings, or Gods, some of those having interest of what is going on the planet.

The planet itself may be a sentient being, extremely intelligent and self-conscious.

4 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

I see God as eternal, thus non-born, above our comprehension, and a plethora of superior beings, or Gods, some of those having interest of what is going on the planet.

The planet itself may be a sentient being, extremely intelligent and self-conscious.

So if, as you say, She is "above our comprehension" how can we begin to make useful comments?

7 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

No, i am not confusing.

Love is a broad concept, and includes the reproduction process.

Sex is the bait.

Without sex, very few would choose to reproduce.

When i was in love with my ex-wife, i loved her to bits, i enjoyed the sex a lot, and i was willing to reproduce.

One son, crazy as me, and one daughter as gifted as her mother.

Mission accomplished ????

Yes, but if you had little money and your children would have had no future worth living, I believe you would have not had them because you had enough "love" in you to not make children that would have a horrible life.

Love is a useless word to convey the multiple meanings it encompasses. Sex is "love" and someone willing to sacrifice their life for another also has "love". At it's most basic, I believe "love" is caring for another, or many, and if not having children is the better outcome for your wife or the environment, then it would be "love" not to have any.