Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

8 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

That's a very reasonable post, but as discussed since aeons, it appears obvious to the spiritual researchers, that "science methodology" relies only on the physical phenomena which can be detected by the physical senses.

This attitude makes you impervious to the great power which is intuition.

My suggestion is, start to accept the power of thought, everything which crosses your mind "exists", one way or another, even the most absurd fantasy.

That, imho, is a good starting point to start an investigation of the spiritual worlds.

Everyone relies upon the power of thought, in conjunction with their 5 senses. They are essential for all the activities we engage in whilst we are awake, and essential for basic survival. I'm certainly not impervious to the power of intuition. The brain is a storehouse of all the things we've learned and felt since the time we were a developed fetus in our mother's womb. A gut reaction or intuition is basically a shortcut to this unconscious store of learned experience in the brain, or a subconscious application of those learned rules and patterns.

However, because our memories are sometimes flawed and imperfect, gut feelings about an issue can also often be wrong, as demonstrated later by the application of rational analysis and the methodology of science.

5 minutes ago, VincentRJ said:

The brain is a storehouse of all the things we've learned and felt since the time we were a developed fetus in our mother's womb.

Hate to contradict you, but the feelings are stored in the soul, which is the intermediate body which connects the physical body to the spiritual body. The brain is highest part of the physical body, but being physical is subject to deterioration and death. On the other hand, the soul being directly connected with the spirit, makes your experiences eternal.

11 minutes ago, VincentRJ said:

A gut reaction or intuition is basically a shortcut to this unconscious store of learned experience in the brain, or a subconscious application of those learned rules and patterns.

A "gut reaction" is not the same as intuition, perhaps i would call it instinct, where what you call "subconscious application.." is not subconscious, it's quite conscious instead; in fact some of the rules and patterns are eternal, there you are directly connected with the spirit.

21 minutes ago, VincentRJ said:

However, because our memories are sometimes flawed and imperfect, gut feelings about an issue can also often be wrong, as demonstrated later by the application of rational analysis and the methodology of science.

Memory is an interesting subject, which deserves more than 2 lines, but more than right or wrong, i would say "eternal truth" or "temporary truth".

"Science" in its true meaning, i regard as divine, but the methodology, although rational in theory, can be flawed sometimes.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

My suggestion is, start to accept the power of thought, everything which crosses your mind "exists", one way or another, even the most absurd fantasy.

That, imho, is a good starting point to start an investigation of the spiritual worlds.

If we can send a bunch of 0's and 1's using the electromagnetic spectrum to produce images, videos etc.. then our brains can use similar processes to produce 'thoughts' and 'visions' in our mind. It's all part of the physical world, but the thoughts are only real to the observer (yourself).

2 minutes ago, Elad said:

If we can send a bunch of 0's and 1's using the electromagnetic spectrum to produce images, videos etc.. then our brains can use similar processes to produce 'thoughts' and 'visions' in our mind. It's all part of the physical world, but the thoughts are only real to the observer (yourself).

No, i wouldn't say so, like a building is first a thought in the mind of the architect, when it's finished is there for everybody to see.

In other words, there are thoughts, and then there are other different thoughts.

8 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Hate to contradict you, but the feelings are stored in the soul, which is the intermediate body which connects the physical body to the spiritual body. The brain is highest part of the physical body, but being physical is subject to deterioration and death. On the other hand, the soul being directly connected with the spirit, makes your experiences eternal.

I think it's best to leave it there. If you believe in the existence of a 'soul', then that's similar or equivalent to a belief in a God, and/or a belief in the Reincarnation of a previous life and identity.

I appreciate that 'beliefs' can have a significant placebo effect which can have benefits, such as giving people a sense of purpose in life, and even helping to cure illnesses. Around 30% of the effectiveness of drugs are due to the placebo effect, that is, due to a belief that the drug will work because one believes in the power and efficacy of the medical and pharmaceutical industries.

I have no wish to undermine your placebo effects. Best of luck, and Goodbye.

9 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

and  your  evidence for this is?

1 hour ago, Chazar said:

There  is  NO  empty  space

The last time i checked, there was quite some space between the earth and the moon, and the sun.

I can agree that that space is not literally empty, if that is your point.

Did you know the Bible is the only book in the world that has accurate prophecy? 

When you read the prophecies of the Bible, you simply have to stand back in awe. There are over 300 precise prophecies that deal with the Lord Jesus Christ in the Old Testament that are fulfilled in the New Testament. To say that these are fulfilled by chance is an astronomical impossibility.

From Genesis to Revelation, the Bible reads as one book. 

And there is incredible unity to the Bible. The Bible is one book, and yet it is made up of 66 books, was written by at least 40 different authors over a period of about 1600 years, in 13 different countries and on three different continents. It was written in at least three different languages by people in all professions. The Bible forms one beautiful temple of truth that does not contradict itself theologically, morally, ethically, doctrinally, scientifically, historically, or in any other way.

5 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

Got any personal, independent thoughts about he subject?

A truly independent thought is a rare as a needle in a hay-stack.

Everybody (including myself) is just parroting what he heard/read somewhere filtered through the lens of his personal experience and mental capacity.

These are extraordinary times. Never in history has there been a time where all of humanity was affected by one single threat. Every country and every individual is feeling the effects of the COVID-19 crisis. In that way, the virus acts as the great equalizer, a role that is usually reserved only to death itself. Rich and poor, famous and common, old and young, race, class, religion...the virus doesn't make any distinction.

Some people will find the loss of control extremely frightening and will go on social media and share their frustration. They will paint a picture of negativity and fear, and in an effort to make sense of it all, they will try to find someone responsible for their situation. They will point their finger at the government, get sucked in by improbable conspiracy theories, blame immigrants, the 5G network, the Chinese, even their neighbors for daring to go out for a walk. 

On the other hand, there will be people trying to find a silver lining in these dark times, trying to see the bigger picture. Instead of fear, they will promote messages of hope. They will call for people and for countries to come together and support each other. They will point out that this is a time for sticking together and not drifting apart.

In times like these the true colors of a person become more apparent. Some retreat into their shells, seeking refuge from the chaos and succumbing to fear, others face the threat by looking into the tiger's eyes. Look around and you'll see plenty of examples for both of these reactions.

This is a great time to gain a better understanding of the people around you and society as a whole, but even more so, it's the perfect time to better understand who YOU really are and how YOU are responding to this crisis. Gone are the countless everyday distractions like your busy job, your active social life, hobbies and entertainments. Your new reality is sitting at home by yourself, with yourself and your close family. What are you going to do with this? Maybe it's time to go back to the basic stuff, to what really matters and gain strength from that. Don't see it as a forced deprivation of freedom, but as a chance to become more responsible and thus expand your power. It's the perfect opportunity to use this critical period as a mirror and look within. Don't just care for the well-being of yourself and your own family, but care for your neighbor too, care for the elderly citizens of your town or city, care for those out on the streets without a home or family, care for those who are on the front-line working 12 hour shifts at the hospitals, care for the people in your neighboring country who are maybe less fortunate than you. The great equalizer is teaching us that we are all ONE. 

This is a message worth sharing on social media. It's a message that the world and the planet desperately need right now. The world will never be the same after this and in a way I feel it is necessary to shake us up and give us the needed kick out of the complacent rut we were stuck in. 

I will not tell anyone whether to stay home or not, but I'll ask you to do the right thing, not just for yourself, but for all others around you.

May we all find the peace in our hearts to overcome the fear and spread hope instead.

PS: No books or special people were plagiarized in writing this post. ???? 

• Confused 2

19 hours ago, Sunmaster said:

care for the elderly citizens of your town or city,

Far as I'm concerned that is a bad joke- I'm in the danger zone age wise and no government official ever contacted me to see if I was set up, had enough food, money and a safe place to lockdown in. Negative in the last category. I refer to the government department that is responsible for the aged.

Because the government has banned travel except for essential businesses, no one can come to help me, and if it goes bad the ambulance is the only option for me

I don't expect my neighbours to do anything for me as we are all in the same boat. Plenty of people in distress as they lose their jobs, their income, and their future. The government organisation that is supposed to help people won't even answer the phone. There is going to be hell to pay when this is over.

Far as I'm concerned I've had my innings and some of it was great. I'm ready to pass over, but most, I suppose are not.

It's times like these, while waiting to potentially die of something too small to see, that faith is so wonderful. Facing potential death and thinking there is nothing after must be depressing- what was the point of it?

Having faith, I know that when I pass, there is the greatest adventure yet to come.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

The Old Testament just describes humans in their nakedness, the New Testament offers a way out. It's a great book I must admit. unless you're totally nihilistic. Probably better for people to live in blissful ignorance. Just think, how many guys have died thinking they were furthering some greater purpose, and how many guys have died thinking I'm glad it's over. The older I get the more I tend to the latter view.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nausea said:

The Old Testament just describes humans in their nakedness, the New Testament offers a way out. It's a great book I must admit. unless you're totally nihilistic. Probably better for people to live in blissful ignorance. Just think, how many guys have died thinking they were furthering some greater purpose, and how many guys have died thinking I'm glad it's over. The older I get the more I tend to the latter view.

Interesting post, i also think the same about the new testament, the word of Jesus sounds so simple and true.

As for the old testament, i am open to many different interpretations.

Better for people live in blissful ignorance ? Well, i am surprised how they can do that, it's normal for the young to feel invincible, but once you get aware of the decline of your physical body, it's time to start to question what "existence" is.

3 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Interesting post, i also think the same about the new testament, the word of Jesus sounds so simple and true.

As for the old testament, i am open to many different interpretations.

Better for people live in blissful ignorance ? Well, i am surprised how they can do that, it's normal for the young to feel invincible, but once you get aware of the decline of your physical body, it's time to start to question what "existence" is.

It's finite. Live it to it's fullest. 

"Full" can be defined by the individual. "Finite" cannot. :thumbsup:

I just finished reading S.M. Stirling's Island in the Sea of Time series. It has a lot in common with the bible. Both books are works of fiction set a few thousand years in the past about characters who never actually existed, have stories of good and evil, have cult followings waiting for the next part in the series, and use their stories to teach that in the end, evil will be vanquished.

The big difference is that while the fictional stories in the bible were written around 400 A.D,  Stirling's novels were written only a few decades ago. Luckily, humans have learned a lot in the intervening centuries about what makes an engaging story. So while the bible is an incredible yawner, Stirling's books are actually quite gripping. Granted, Stirling engages alien space bats as the source for his more unbelievable events, as opposed to a floating god in the sky, but the similarities are striking nonetheless.

Someone really needs to take the stories in the bible and reimagine them with a more engaging plot. A decent author could probably turn it into a best seller.

In case it is not clear from context, No. I do not believe in god(s).  As for why, I simply prefer a different brand of fiction.

• Like 1

The Bible is the word of God and is powerful and life changing. The promises of God start with 2 Timothy 3:16 when God tells us that all Scriptures in the Bible are inspired by God. With this promise of God in hand we can then be assured that what we learn in the Bible comes from Him!

The sad fact is that for those who choose today to not believe in Jesus Christ, that day will be a terrible one.

Never underestimate the skill Satan uses to deceive humanity. The book of Revelation plainly says he is “that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray” (Revelation 12:9NIV).

By many of the foolish comments I have read on this site, it appears many of you have been deceived by Satan.  You may find it amusing to feed on each others silly comments but for those who don't wake up, the end result will come with an eternity of regret.

Scripture says that stupid people are people who act rashly, they are lazy, they are quick tempered, they pursue evil, they scoff at rebuke, they reject Christ as their Savior, and they deny God even with the clear evidences in the world.   

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

The sad fact is that for those who choose today to not believe in Jesus Christ, that day will be a terrible one.

By many of the foolish comments I have read on this site, it appears many of you have been deceived by Satan.  You may find it amusing to feed on each others silly comments but for those who don't wake up, the end result will come with an eternity of regret.

Your interpretation of the bible-quotes that 74% of the world-population (non christian) is doomed and will suffer eternal damnation (together with all those that were born before AD) should make you wonder whether that interpretation is indeed a correct one...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Your interpretation of the bible-quotes that 74% of the world-population (non christian) is doomed and will suffer eternal damnation (together with all those that were born before AD) should make you wonder whether that interpretation is indeed a correct one...

The Muslims say the same thing, non-believers are doomed.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

My interpretation??  I never said that.  Maybe you should take advantage of this lockdown period and read the Bible.  

2 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

My interpretation??  I never said that.  Maybe you should take advantage of this lockdown period and read the Bible.  

33 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

FACT > 74% of the world population is not-christian.

I rest my case...

Note: I do not dismiss the Bible, I only dismiss those that use the Bible to peddle their own interpretations of the scripture.

• Like 2