Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

Just now, gargamon said:

You call it faith, I call it brainwashing. And the simple fact that there are multiple religions, with billions of followers, each with a "god" that is different in many ways than the others, leads much credence to my viewpoint.

It isn't brainwashing, because we have a choice, that he gave us. There are many religions because a lot of people turned their backs on him and thought there was a better way, a better God,something easier. There is only one God,the others were made up because of a lack of faith, a defiance.

9 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Some believe that the universe was created in an explosion of sorts, that matter was created out of nothing. That in itself is impossible. I, like others who believe, know that there was a creator. There are many questions I would like to have answers for, from why children get cancer to why there are gnats around my head now,bothering the <deleted> out of me. To think we are still paying because Adam bit an apple that he wasn't supposed to seems ridiculous. A vengeful God perhaps, because even though he gave us free will and we sometimes pay for it, why do the innocents that believe in him suffer? This is a test ,of faith. If you know the Bible, you know about Job. God took everything away from him ,yet he still believed, so he was rewarded in the end. If we believe, we are promised a better life, forever with him and others, where pain and suffering is non existent, maybe where we can eat whatever we want and not worry, maybe we will have all of our animals that have died with us. Maybe I can fish for big bass and have huge deer in my yard. Life is supposed to be short, so we can have faith in what's coming after. If we choose to not believe in him, we will be sent to a place where there are no friends, no love and only sorrow. This is one reason I also believe. I want to see my family and friends that have passed before me, hoping they also believed. If you look at the fact that everything that is alive needs air,food and water to live. That the earth is exactly where it should be in relation to the sun, that the moon regulates tides so is necessary, the intricacies of the brain and how it works, to the detail of a fly's wing,the good tastes of food, that there are thousands of species of different animals,plants and insects. That shows that there was a creator, and this just didn't "happen". I want to meet Jesus, and talk with him. Yes, it seems there will be a waiting line, but maybe in heaven there isn't time like we know it now. If it's forever, we can all wait. I can finally learn to play my guitars,and I know there will be music. This is temporary,and we need to live the best we can, without hurting others intentionally. The worst thing one can do, the unpardonable sin, is turning your back on God, thinking he isn't necessary or there waiting for us.

I am a religious person, but not of the church-going, heaven-and-hell, our God is the best one,  variety.

Your view on God and afterlife, is so fundamentally different on every aspect than mine, that I cannot even make a start explaining it.

To each his own, seems the only fitting comment here. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

It isn't brainwashing, because we have a choice, that he gave us. There are many religions because a lot of people turned their backs on him and thought there was a better way, a better God,something easier. There is only one God,the others were made up because of a lack of faith, a defiance.

Wait wait....I'm with you that there is only one God, but what do you mean by "the others were made up"?
So, you're saying there's one true religion, while all others are false?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gargamon said:

You call it faith, I call it brainwashing. And the simple fact that there are multiple religions, with billions of followers, each with a "god" that is different in many ways than the others, leads much credence to my viewpoint.

Twisted logic, water has many names and it's still water, H2O for the science types.

Ice and vapor are water with different densities, but they are water too.

I think humans should understand that their physical senses are limited, thus they should be careful in saying that something doesn't exist , because they cannot see it, when it's obvious that our perception is limited.

I replied to dozens of similar posts, and i have come to the conclusion that atheists and religion fundamentalist have got different levels of brainwashing, but everyone is brainwashed to a certain degree.

Why is so difficult to accept that the physical world you can see with your eyes could be just a tiny part of the existence ?

• Like 1

I was raised a Catholic where there are rituals in praying that I feel aren't really necessary. The sermon was always the best part of the service, the praying, although a good thing, could have been less repetitive. I\m now "just" a Christian, believing there is only one God (which there is), that any religion that puts a false god ahead of the one true God is wrong. Allah to Muslims is our God. My wife is Thai, and believes in Buddha, a man. Buddha never promoted God, and I'm sure he's paid for that, along with all of his followers. Many Jews do not believe in Jesus, who came here to die for our sins. Some do,so they are now Christians. Will they go to heaven? I think they might,because they still believe in one God, the God of Abraham. Any religion that believes in God is the way is right. (yes, it's still my opinion). I believe there is a hell, but I think when God comes to take his believers to heaven, that he will destroy hell and the devil,for there will no longer be a need,and I don't think God will make those that were good people that didn't believe in him,suffer forever. Another question we want answered. An afterthought.........what if there "is" a God,and we choose to not believe? That's taking a chance on forever. Even if you have a crappy life, there is the next one,and that lasts longer than 80 or so years.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

I am a religious person, but not of the church-going, heaven-and-hell, our God is the best one,  variety.

Your view on God and afterlife, is so fundamentally different on every aspect than mine, that I cannot even make a start explaining it.

Same here, but as it has been discussed a few times already on this thread, if you ask to some believer to describe God, everyone will come out with something different.

If God is infinite, he/she has infinite names, aspects and characters, and obviously we can perceive just very few.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I was raised a Catholic where there are rituals in praying that I feel aren't really necessary. The sermon was always the best part of the service, the praying, although a good thing, could have been less repetitive. I\m now "just" a Christian, believing there is only one God (which there is), that any religion that puts a false god ahead of the one true God is wrong. Allah to Muslims is our God. My wife is Thai, and believes in Buddha, a man. Buddha never promoted God, and I'm sure he's paid for that, along with all of his followers. Many Jews do not believe in Jesus, who came here to die for our sins. Some do,so they are now Christians. Will they go to heaven? I think they might,because they still believe in one God, the God of Abraham. Any religion that believes in God is the way is right. (yes, it's still my opinion). I believe there is a hell, but I think when God comes to take his believers to heaven, that he will destroy hell and the devil,for there will no longer be a need,and I don't think God will make those that were good people that didn't believe in him,suffer forever. Another question we want answered.

If this were May 2019, I would reply to this post and probably oppose it to the bitter end. Now, for a number of reasons, I will just say this: John 14:20..."In My Father’s house are many rooms." 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

If you are a religious person, what religion do you prefer? Which God do you believe in? There isn't a variety, there is only one, and to think otherwise goes against one of God's commandments. Our God isn't the "best" one, he's the only one. Yes, you have a choice. I hope you make the right one before your time has come.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

but I think when God comes to take his believers to heaven, that he will destroy hell and the devil,for there will no longer be a need,

Now, now, do you think God is a taxi driver who comes and take you to heaven ?

Why non accept that God has infinite names and shapes ?

Some atheist will read your post and, no doubt, will come to conclude that God believers are brainwashed ????

15 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Yes, there is only one God.  And no, our God is not the only one.  

I have no real preference as all religions at the core are saying the same.  They are different only in that they are adapted to the specific time, culture and circumstances when they emerged.  And obviously once the initial founder that 'lived the message' passed away, the road to dogma and distortion by the followers was wide open.

Religion is a personal thing, it is not an institutionalized belief-system shaped by tradition.

Triple AMEN to that!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Logosone said:

How can you be so sure that there is only one God?

There have been countless attempts to describe God, but, although within the limits of human imagination, Hinduism imagery is the best attempt imho.

The Reason Why Hindu Gods Have Multiple Arms and Heads

Edited by mauGR1
  • Like 1

That's why it's called faith. It's not brainwashing. It's a choice. You either believe or you don't. When we die, we will all meet him,and then we will know. If there was more than one God, wouldn't at least one of them show himself? That would make the others know who to believe in,to sway their choice. Our God goes on faith. We all have a chance to know him. Missionaries have gone about everywhere to spread the word. Then you make a choice. Right or wrong. God has many names to many religions.  God has more than a few names in any one religion,but they are the same God in Christianity. There are Hebrew names Elohim, El-Shaddai,  Yahweh, Jehovan and Adonai. If they are the names of the true God, then they are all right. Personal preference. I thank God I was raised as a Catholic, to know Jesus as my savior, and this, along with common sense, know there was a creator. Some, like my wife, at least for now, believes that we are all part of the universe (actually true), that when you die, you go back to the universe again, and that making merit helps others. You cannot help others save their souls. Only they can do that. Praying for the dead doesn't help. It's what you believed in and how you live that matters. I made a choice after learning about God when I was young, and being born again from a friend's words further strengthened my belief again. I know I will meet God, and my heart has always had a place for him. You have to make a choice. This world is getting worse all the time, from the greed of the rich and the destruction of our resources. In my belief, we won't be here more than another hundred years, and the way the earth is being drained every year, that's a definite thing, as our population increase will use up all of our food is less than that,if it goes the same way as it has been. I want to be ready when it's my time. I hope the others here will make the right decision also.

• Like 1

Just now, fredwiggy said:

That's why it's called faith. It's not brainwashing. It's a choice. You either believe or you don't. 

You only believe because of how you were raised. If you were born into a different culture you'd believe in a different god, or no god at all. Of course it's brainwashing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

That's why it's called faith. It's not brainwashing. It's a choice.

I may not agree with every word of your post, but i am confident that faith itself can save us from major blunders.

We all do mistakes, but faith is an extremely powerful force, and soon or later will redirect us to the right path.

3 minutes ago, giddyup said:

You only believe because of how you were raised. If you were born into a different culture you'd believe in a different god, or no god at all. Of course it's brainwashing.

What about materialism ? Is it brainwashing, or do you consider it to be the truth ?

No, as an intelligent human, I would search for the truth. I wasn't brainwashed. I listened and thought for myself, "Is this right,or is this wrong"? I'm not a sheep, following blindly like some do. My wife was raised 40 years as a Buddhist, but for awhile now, seeing other family members convert, plus with my belief, thinks that there is a God. I'm not forcing my belief on her, nor have I done it to others. I've had 63 years to think about what I did learn along the way, and it still not only makes perfect sense, but in my heart I know it's true.

Edited by fredwiggy

11 hours ago, Heppinger said:

Gravity is a theory not a law

It's both.

There is a law of gravitation and also a theory of gravitation.

Explanation:

In physics a law describes a natural phenomenon, but does not attempt to describe how it works.

Newton's law of gravitation describes the attractive force F between two bodies with masses m1 and m2, which are a distance r apart.

F=Gm1m2r2

Where G is the gravitational constant.
This is a law because it describes the force but makes not attempt to explain how the force works.

A theory is an explanation of a natural phenomenon. Einstein's General Theory of Relativity explains how gravity works by describing gravity as the effect of curvature of four dimensional spacetime.

Einstein also produced an equation which describes gravity. It may look simple, but in reality it is very complex and very hard to solve.

https://socratic.org/questions/is-gravity-a-law-or-theory

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Scientists in the past claimed the earth was at the center of the solar system. That is obviously incorrect, so why do you apparently think that scientists NOW, are right?

The scientific method produces explanations of how the world works. It gets refined all the time, and sometimes theories get overturned. Religion has no way of growing or self-correcting, because it claims to be perfect. 

Science is built on evidence. Religion is built on belief. I know which one I'd be trusting in an emergency.

How do you think you're able to read this message right now? Through the faith of phone technicians or through their scientific and technical knowledge?

How many ministers are assisting the sick in hospitals right now? Praying works? how?

Edited by teatime101
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I've had 63 years to think about what I did learn along the way, and it still not only makes perfect sense, but in my heart I know it's true.

Others who believe in a different god will say the same thing, ie my god is the only true god.

• Like 1

It's been said God works in mysterious ways. Praying might not always work. God lets things happen the way he thinks they should. Miracles sometimes happen that we see. Sometimes miracles happen that we don't see. He knows what is best for us.Remember this life is temporary.  A lot, including myself, question why there is so much pain and suffering. People think. "If God wanted more to believe in him, there would be less pain and suffering and more miracles happening". That again is where faith comes in. He gave us free will. We either follow him blindly, which he doesn't want, because we aren't mindless sheep. We believe in him, because he sent his son Jesus to forgive our sins and give us a chance for everlasting life in heaven with him, which is faith in what we've learned in our lives, or we don't believe, and take our chances after death. Either we die and go nowhere, or we come before him and be judged,on our belief or disbelief. Others might think that their "god" is the right one, and they will know what is true when they die. God gave humans advanced brains so we can make things,like the internet.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Either we die and go nowhere, or we come before him and be judged,on our belief or disbelief.

There are other options...Life is rarely an "either-or" situation.

Edited by Sunmaster
  • Like 1