Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

2 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Why is so difficult to accept that the physical world you can see with your eyes could be just a tiny part of the existence ?

I can accept that you may be right.

Can you accept that you may be wrong?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sunmaster said:

Sure...?
When it comes to something as big as "God", we can't be sure of anything.

My Belief System is based on personal experience and subsequent research, seeking out those who have the most authority in the field (in the past or contemporary), comparing the often seemingly contradicting teachings, only to find out that they all describe the same thing, although from slightly different angles. 

What you see as different "Gods", are either different interpretations of the same thing (the many names of a personal God), or descriptions of different attributes of God (for example the many Hindu gods that are associated with compassion, truth, wisdom, creation, destruction and so forth), or descriptions of stages of consciousness/enlightenment.
The Seven Stages of Enlightenment ~ | Feelings, Thoughts

The interesting thing is that they all point in the same direction...the Omega point, where everything converges, where there is no separation between subject and object, where there is no duality. This is what I mean when I talk of God.
I don't choose one of the various descriptions and declare it as the only true God. This is, in my opinion, simply wrong and leads to all sorts of problems.

Why do you think compassion is an attribute of God and not a human attribute?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, luckyluke said:

I can accept that you may be right.

Can you accept that you may be wrong?

Sure, if you tell me that elephants are pink, and there are unicorns in your garden, i will accept it.

Perhaps i will not lend you my car though ????

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, mauGR1 said:

Sure, if you tell me that elephants are pink, and there are unicorns in your garden, i will accept it.

Bit like telling us that god is a being with a long white beard sitting on a fluffy cloud watching every move we make.

20 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Why do you think compassion is an attribute of God and not a human attribute?

Compassion is both a human and a "godly" attribute...the same as love and wisdom and many others. There are many degrees of intensity and the spectrum is infinite. The more it goes towards infinity, the more godly or pure it becomes. 
One of the highest expressions of compassion is the vow of the Bodhisattvas, who have reached enlightenment and become free from the wheel of incarnation, yet willingly choose to take on new bodies until all creatures have reached enlightenment. 

Edited by Sunmaster
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

No, I won't tell you that.

You state that : "the physical world you can see with your eyes could be just a tiny part of the existence"

I my opinion you may be right.

Do you consider your statement as the absolute truth?, with no possibility of being wrong?

You are of course entitled to believe so.

1 minute ago, luckyluke said:

No, I won't tell you that.

You state that : "the physical world you can see with your eyes could be just a tiny part of the existence"

I my opinion you may be right.

Do you consider your statement as the absolute truth?, with no possibility of being wrong?

You are of course entitled to believe so.

obviously, it's not the absolute truth !

Just the fact that you and many others cannot see that, makes that truth subjective in a way.

Although i said many times that there are realities, such as feelings, for example, that cannot be seen by the physical eye.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

Compassion is both a human and a "godly" attribute...the same as love and wisdom and many others. There are many degrees of intensity and the spectrum is infinite. The more it goes towards infinity, the more godly or pure it becomes. 
One of the highest expressions of compassion is the vow of the Bodhisattvas, who have reached enlightenment and become free from the wheel of incarnation, yet willingly choose to take on new bodies until all creatures have reached enlightenment. 

How do we know that compassion, love, wisdom are all also divine attributes?

Edited by Logosone

3 minutes ago, Logosone said:

How do we know that compassion, love, wisdom are all also divine attributes?

You know by becoming a vehicle for them and express them in this world. You can learn how to increase those attributes within yourself.
Take love for example. Why restrict it to your friends and family only? You can expand it to include all humans, all animals, all the visible creation, and then you can go beyond that too...zeroing in on the highest form of love imaginable...God's Love. 

Just now, Sunmaster said:

You know by becoming a vehicle for them and express them in this world. You can learn how to increase those attributes within yourself.
Take love for example. Why restrict it to your friends and family only? You can expand it to include all humans, all animals, all the visible creation, and then you can go beyond that too...zeroing in on the highest form of love imaginable...God's Love. 

Can you give me an example of god's love for us?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

It isn't brainwashing, because we have a choice, that he gave us. There are many religions because a lot of people turned their backs on him and thought there was a better way, a better God,something easier. There is only one God,the others were made up because of a lack of faith, a defiance.

So of course, the one you follow just happens to be the one true god, how lucky for you. I submit that if there were one true god, it would be the one with the most followers. Likely, that is not the one you follow. I also suspect a member of one of the other "cults" would have the exact same response you did. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

...Take love for example. Why restrict it to your friends and family only? You can expand it to include all humans, all animals, all the visible creation, and then you can go beyond that too...zeroing in on the highest form of love imaginable...God's Love. 

Agree with you here,

except for "God's Love"

as I don't believe in a "God".

But I accept easily that people have different opinions,

and  believe in a "extra something" which some call " God".

3 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Agree with you here,

except for "God's Love"

as I don't believe in a "God".

But I accept easily that people have different opinions,

and  believe in a "extra something" which some call " God".

Nice to hear that, it's just not important at all how you call that "extra something".

At least you are not one of the types who believe, without reason, that humans are the most evolved form of life in the universe.

6 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Is the child dying from Leukemia another good example? Or is that just a case of god working in mysterious ways?

Life and death are part of this world. Is a child dying from Leukemia different from an old guy dying from Leukemia? In the end we all die. We are given life to willingly choose to go towards God. The soul chooses a life with the best opportunities to do so. Sometimes a soul chooses an early exit (like in your example) to maybe provoke a change and transformation in those who love it. Times of crisis are great opportunities for change and often bring forth the greatest transformations in us. I know it was like this for me.

If you only see the physical body, then you will judge that death as a cosmic injustice and it won't make sense to you. Maybe you would blame God, even though you don't really believe in him.
However, if you look at it from a higher perspective, things will start to make sense again. You will see that everything that happens, happens for a reason and that God's love is always there to nurture and sustain us as we grow and evolve.

• Like 1

Christianity has the most followers, followed by Islam and then Hinduism. Why would it be "likely" that I follow a certain religion? These religions are not cults. A cult has a person that is the leader, and it's practices are considered as weird or odd by most others. People die every day. Children also. A child younger than the age of reason, about 8, will go to heaven. After that, it is their choice. I don't like that children suffer,but if you again look at the fact that most of us are here a maximum of about 85 years, that's nothing in comparison to forever.

• Confused 3

18 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

Life and death are part of this world. Is a child dying from Leukemia different from an old guy dying from Leukemia? In the end we all die. We are given life to willingly choose to go towards God. The soul chooses a life with the best opportunities to do so. 

I was asking why someone who has created all life as you suggest, would then take that away from an innocent child who has yet to experience anything of life, or "willingly choosing to go towards god".  Wouldn't it have been better for that child to have never been born at all, sparing both the child and parents the suffering and death of their child?

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Christianity has the most followers, followed by Islam and then Hinduism. Why would it be "likely" that I follow a certain religion? 

It's "likely" because that religion is part of the society you were born into, as was I. However, I never felt the need to believe (have faith) in any religion.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I was asking why someone who has created all life as you suggest, would then take that away from an innocent child who has yet to experience anything of life, or "willingly choosing to go towards god".  Let's face it, you have the "one size fits all" approach to questions.

I believe I answered your question to the best of my knowledge. 

Let's face it, whatever I say won't make one bit of difference as your mind is already made up.
But no problem for me. ????

Edited by Sunmaster
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Nice to hear that, it's just not important at all how you call that "extra something".

At least you are not one of the types who believe, without reason, that humans are the most evolved form of life in the universe.

You misunderstood me, or better i didn't explain myself clearly enough.

As per now I believe that humans are the most evolved form of life in the universe.

My opinion may change when I will have a proof, which will convince me entirely, that this isn't the case.

The "extra" or "God" or whatever, is usually attribute by believers to "something" they believe has/had "extra" power or something not definable.

This is all the life we know. After death, an all new forever life waits. Again, you can't compare a maximum of 85 or so to forever. God can make a universe from his mind. Can you imagine what he has waiting for us. This life has many nice things, but more bad things exist. None of those are waiting for us when we die. IF we believe.

• Confused 2