Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

29 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

everything that happens, happens for a reason

Here also agree with you.

To each of us in particular to have his own explanation for this situation.

Personally I don't believe that any explication is better/worse than another. 

24 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Like most believers you will give responses to questions that no one has a definitive answer to, so you just make one up and expect the non-believers to swallow it. It's exactly what all the major religions have been doing for thousands of years. I understand that human beings feel the need to create an afterlife because the concept of death without one can be frightening, but I prefer the wait and see approach.

Good for you.
The problem with the "wait and see" approach though, is that you are wasting a lot of precious time in this lifetime. I prefer the "find out by any means necessary, now!" approach and so far it hasn't let me down.
But then again, what is 1 lifetime wasted waiting, when there are so many more to come? You can try again next time. ???? 

One religion gets it's knowledge from a book. The Bible. God's words put into writing, so we can learn what he expects from us. Waiting and seeing is what everyone does, but some are better prepared than others. Taking a chance on forever isn't a good idea.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

I prefer the "find out by any means necessary, now! and so far it hasn't let me down.

Fair enough

Of course some may have found another "find out" than yours, which hasn't let them down either.

2 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Fair enough

Of course some may have found another "find out" than yours, which hasn't let them down either.

There are certainly many ways to find out what life is all about, but "waiting to see" is hardly one of them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sunmaster said:

There are certainly many ways to find out what life is all about, but "waiting to see" is hardly one of them.

There are indeed different ways.

But I personally would not condemn someone who prefer the " wait & see " attitude.

Shows we are all different. 

There is actually only one main reason we are here, and that is to follow God. Whether we have riches or are poor doesn't matter,as we cannot take anything with us when we go. God wants us to have families, if that is our choice, and to love and take care of them. This is all part of his plan, and no one was promised a paradise except Adam and Eve, and they screwed up. There are many things here that aren't necessary and are hurtful. Mosquitoes, ticks, black flies, fleas, poisonous snakes, spiders and fish that can either eat us or poison us. Cancer, covid and other diseases aren't things we need, but they are here to let us know who is in charge,and that the riches of the earth aren't as important as our soul and what comes after this life.

Just now, luckyluke said:

There are indeed different ways.

But I personally would not condemn someone who prefer the " wait & see " attitude.

Shows we are all different. 

I don't think anyone condemned his way of life, least of all me. Please read my comments again.
It's up to you and him how you spend your time. 

5 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

The waiting to see was referring to what happens after we die, there are no first hand accounts. Thought that was pretty clear. Whatever you do to prepare for that is up to the individual.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

If I were you, instead of spending your time posting silly comments on Thai Visa about the Creator of the Universe being some sort of fairy tale, I would wake up and ask Jesus to forgive your sins and repent.  

That's quite funny and ironic, coming from one who believes in Adam&Eve, Hell&Heaven and all those fairy tales. ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

It sounds to me as if this person is intelligent enough to understand the Bible is the word of God, the God of the Bible is real, and Jesus Christ died on the cross for our sins so we could have eternal life in Heaven.

If I were you, instead of spending your time posting silly comments on Thai Visa about the Creator of the Universe being some sort of fairy tale, I would wake up and ask Jesus to forgive your sins and repent.  

Some of us have rational minds, and don't blindly follow what was written over time by many different people over a couple of thousand years.

• Like 1

That's quite funny and ironic, coming from one who believes in Adam&Eve, Hell&Heaven and all those fairy tales

1 hour ago, Sunmaster said:

Life and death are part of this world. Is a child dying from Leukemia different from an old guy dying from Leukemia? In the end we all die. We are given life to willingly choose to go towards God. The soul chooses a life with the best opportunities to do so. Sometimes a soul chooses an early exit (like in your example) to maybe provoke a change and transformation in those who love it. Times of crisis are great opportunities for change and often bring forth the greatest transformations in us. I know it was like this for me.

If you only see the physical body, then you will judge that death as a cosmic injustice and it won't make sense to you. Maybe you would blame God, even though you don't really believe in him.
However, if you look at it from a higher perspective, things will start to make sense again. You will see that everything that happens, happens for a reason and that God's love is always there to nurture and sustain us as we grow and evolve.

I'm confused Sunmaster, you said this and then you said this afterwards....................................That's quite funny and ironic, coming from one who believes in Adam&Eve, Hell&Heaven and all those fairy tales

Edited by fredwiggy

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

Actually it's everyone's reason. Some choose to believe otherwise. What is your reasoning why we are here ?

Why does there have to be a reason?

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

The waiting to see was referring to what happens after we die, there are no first hand accounts. Thought that was pretty clear. Whatever you do to prepare for that is up to the individual.

Yes, I got that. Life and death are closely related. By exploring one you can better understand the other. 
For me, these are the most fundamental existential questions and they need to be answered. You don't have to wait to die to understand the role death plays in our existence. 

3 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

That's quite funny and ironic, coming from one who believes in Adam&Eve, Hell&Heaven and all those fairy tales

I'm confused Sunmaster, you said this and then you said this afterwards....................................That's quite funny and ironic, coming from one who believes in Adam&Eve, Hell&Heaven and all those fairy tales

I did explain in a previous post (yesterday?) that what I call God might be different from how you see it. The confusion probably originates from there. 

• Like 1

Just now, Sunmaster said:

Yes, I got that. Life and death are closely related. By exploring one you can better understand the other. 
For me, these are the most fundamental existential questions and they need to be answered. You don't have to wait to die to understand the role death plays in our existence. 

I understand that everything living has a finite time on earth and every thing after that is a mystery. Couldn't be clearer than that. Trying to make sense of it all by believing in a god is just how some cope with the mystery.

Just now, giddyup said:

I understand that everything living has a finite time on earth and every thing after that is a mystery. Couldn't be clearer than that. Trying to make sense of it all by believing in a god is just how some cope with the mystery.

True. Then there are other options that don't just rely on believing, but rather seek the certainty of knowing.  

10 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I'm confused Sunmaster, you said this and then you said this afterwards....................................

The Book of Genesis is an allegory of how the world was created.

Those who take it literally, reduce it to a children's fairy tale.

• Like 2

On 12/22/2019 at 7:02 PM, sirineou said:

I wish we did not make these small comments at the end of an argument such as "Try and get a grip  " and " Try to keep up and understand. " which adds an additional element . and distracts from the argument, putting one on a defencive posture.

What Skeptic 7 is saying is obviously correct. All people are born Atheist. In fact the church agrees with that assessment and an unbaptised baby that dies can not go to heaven and goes to hell. 

How absurd to tell a grieving Christian parent whose baby has died that because they did not have a chance to Baptise their baby , it will burn in hell forever. How cruel!!! It is an obvious device to make parents enter their children in the church as quickly as possible. 

Is it coincidence that almost every person born to a christian parent is a christian  and every child born to a muslim parent is a muslim ? 

What religion you are is not a conscious decision, it is simply an accident of birth.

Nonsense. Each individual as they gain reasoning powers make their own decision what religion they choose to follow, or not follow, or be an atheist. 

18 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Those who take it literally, reduce it to a children's fairy tale.

Simple answers always win most votes. Eg. this quote:

“Great leaders are almost always great simplifiers, who can cut through argument, debate, and doubt to offer a solution everybody can understand.”

That's why there are so many wars. Few leaders have the time or patience to deal with uncertainty and doubt. They need to get re-elected.

Edited by teatime101

20 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

I stopped reading there.

Water has many names, and can be drunk in many ways.

Pls try to understand the concept before commenting further.

Glad to help, you're welcome.

Good you stopped reading. May your Bronze Age myth and superstition grant you all the solace you need !

A couple questions, though.....is there one god or many millions like the Hindus believe? Was Mohd the last prophet or John Smith? or David Koresh? Can I eat meat on Friday or not? Do women need to have certain parts of their body cut off if those little buds give them pleasure?

Also, why just one god?  With a trillion stars in our galaxy, a few hundred billion galaxies, and even on our obscure little world in a nothing part of our own galaxy there are 7.6 billion humans, that deity must be damn busy.  Maybe he has a significant other?  A team?  I bet it could use some help. Omnipotence isn't all it's cracked up to be, which is I guess why we have tsunamis and earthquakes and childhood cancer that don't exactly scream "pure love". I know 'it' was way too busy to send any sales rep to Earth who shared anything meaningful, like that Australia was sitting out there waiting for some convicts to get sent there, or that disease was caused by such microscopic things as bacteria or viruses, or that Justin Beiber would show up singing pabulum at some point in time.

The concept you do not understand---actually concepts---is particle physics.  No deity or collection of deities is necessary.

We now return your television to Bronze Age myths.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1