Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

2 hours ago, yodsak said:

1838296468_ScreenShot2020-06-11at23_53_40.png.36ef0a8a048d884e7e14c8c39f4d32eb.png

Gods were created by men who wanted something to have faith in, rebelling against the true God. Some didn't like his laws (commandments), and some wanted answers, like most of us. Even now, a lot don't want to follow his commandments, and if you look at them as not from God but just man made, they still make sense.

5 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Gods were created by men who wanted something to have faith in, rebelling against the true God. Some didn't like his laws (commandments), and some wanted answers, like most of us. Even now, a lot don't want to follow his commandments, and if you look at them as not from God but just man made, they still make sense.

What is the "true" god to one can be a false god to others.

9 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

I believe it's a mistake to try to force your beliefs on your partner. Good luck with that. My mother tried this on my father and it caused a lot of grief and divided the family. You should have given this more thought before you decided to marry a Buddhist. Did you think you could convert her?

It's also a mistake to judge your wife as being "doomed to hell" if she doesn't follow your lead. I don't believe hell is a place you go to anyway, and judging fellow humans is not your job. It's this judgemental attitude of Christians that turns people away from the very doctrine they're trying to preach.

I'm not forcing my beliefs. Just showing her .I wasn't thinking about converting her but I would like to someday. It's up to her. I can't judge anyone. that's God's job. In the Bible, which many say isn't all true, and I agree, as it was written by man, it says there is Heaven and Hell. God has rules to follow. He's in charge as he made us, so it's his call. From what I've heard, Heaven is a good place, and Hell is where you go if you turn your back on God (The only unpardonable sin). I want to be with God in Heaven.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I want to be with God in Heaven.

Did you ever considered He may no wants you.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."

-Isaiah 55:8-9-

1 minute ago, luckyluke said:

Did you ever considered He may no wants you.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."

-Isaiah 55:8-9-

He wants all. Those that turn their backs he lets go. That quote means he's in charge.

Edited by fredwiggy

9 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

He wants all. Those that turn their backs he lets go. That quote means he's in charge.

According to : "Knowing Jesus'

"How vitally important therefore, it is to remember Who God is and who we are. It is imperative to understand that God is omniscient and is perfect in all He plans – and yet too often we try to second-guess God and venture to predict or anticipate what He is doing or even try to dictate to Him what we think He ought to be doing, and so He reminds us that in every area of life, My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways, declares the LORD."

According to me "I want to be with God in Heaven" is dictating God what you think He should do.

2 hours ago, JensenZ said:

You're just going around in circles. You think God exists in a plane where time exists because he's growing a beard because he looks exactly like man because you read "God created man in his image".

No I don't. I dont think God exist anywhere. Those that believe god created man in it's own image , then must also believe  the above by definition. and if they do then they also must content with the question of what did god do before he created man, and /or who created god. 

2 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

According to : "Knowing Jesus'

"How vitally important therefore, it is to remember Who God is and who we are. It is imperative to understand that God is omniscient and is perfect in all He plans – and yet too often we try to second-guess God and venture to predict or anticipate what He is doing or even try to dictate to Him what we think He ought to be doing, and so He reminds us that in every area of life, My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways, declares the LORD."

According to me "I want to be with God in Heaven" is dictating God what you think He should do.

I want isn't you have to let me in. He knows our hearts and that we either believe or don't.

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

You're contradicting yourself. He either wants all or he doesn't.

Where is it contradicting? He wants all to come to him. Those that don't believe made their choice. They chose not to believe and turned their backs on him. I want my daughter to always listen to me. Being a child, she doesn't. Her choice. I want what's best for her, but by not listening, and turning away, she doesn't benefit from my teaching.

4 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

No evidence whatsoever , because it isn't possible. You believing a scientists guesses shows that you have faith in a human, who is imperfect. A creator makes sense, to anyone not gullible or a fool.

"According to quantum mechanics, a vacuum isn't empty at all. It's actually filled with quantum energy and particles that blink in and out of existence for a fleeting moment - strange signals that are known as quantum fluctuations."

https://www.sciencealert.com/physicists-say-they-ve-managed-to-manipulate-pure-nothingness

Your use of terms like 'faith' and 'belief' to denigrate science is noted. Do you accept that your computer works because you can observe that fact, or do you only have faith that it works?

You might believe in a perfect being, but without any evidence, he's no more real than fairies.

• Like 1

Just now, teatime101 said:

"According to quantum mechanics, a vacuum isn't empty at all. It's actually filled with quantum energy and particles that blink in and out of existence for a fleeting moment - strange signals that are known as quantum fluctuations."

https://www.sciencealert.com/physicists-say-they-ve-managed-to-manipulate-pure-nothingness

Your use of terms like 'faith' and 'belief' to denigrate science is noted. Do you accept that your computer works because you can observe that fact, or do you only have faith that it works?

You might believe in a perfect being, but without any evidence, he's no more real than fairies.

Where have I denigrated science? Scientists have made amazing discoveries,but they aren't always right. Particles are matter, and they were created. Matter does not come from nothing. Again.

34 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I want isn't you have to let me in. He knows our hearts and that we either believe or don't.

Enjoy your terrestrial life, and believe what you like to believe.

After, you may be badly surprised/disenchanted for eternity.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, teatime101 said:

Your posts are nonsensical. You've surrendered your ability and responsibility to think, in favour of a blind acceptance of, frankly, a lot of drivel.

I'm sorry you don't understand. You, like a lot of others, will pay when you pass from this earth. You have your beliefs and i have mine. Calling something nonsense because you think different is wrong.

3 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Why say eternity if you don't believe in a life after this one?

4 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Why say eternity if you don't believe in a life after this one?

Because I may be wrong in what I believe, and that the "experience" I encountered when being a young boy was just something which happened in my head and not a "revelation".

Something believers will never consider.

However, with the possibility of being wrong, this hadn't any influence in my daily life.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, luckyluke said:

Because I may be wrong in what I believe, and that the "experience" I encountered when being a young boy was just something which happened in my head and not a "revelation".

Something believers will never consider.

However, with the possibility of being wrong, this hadn't any influence in my daily life.

For your sake, I hope your heart opens. I understand you had an experience and like you said,it could have been just something in your head and not a revelation that was real. The young mind is very impressionable. This world isn't a good place in ways, and that's one reason I believe there's something better coming.

Edited by fredwiggy

9 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

For your sake, I hope your heart opens. I understand you had an experience and like you said,it could have been just something in your head and not a revelation that was real. The young mind is very impressionable. This world isn't a good place in ways, and that's one reason I believe there's something better coming.

The so called "Revelations" may also being something which happens in someones head.

If one does believe this is the only place and the only life, one will try everything possible to make it agreeable.

Believers in a better coming life, may just adopt a fatalist way of living, as long they believe in the existence of God ( Their safe-pass to eternal happiness).

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

I'm a believer ,,,

I married a Thai, and have a daughter. Now I have to try and bring her up believing God exists and Buddha is probably in hell, as he didn't have any use for God. My wife says the same thing, especially when she's angry with me. I don't see God, where is he? Trying to change that thinking after 40 years of Buddhism isn't going to be easy, but I don't want to see my wife go to hell. When she dies, she will meet God, and then she'll understand we don't come back, reincarnated as something or someone. But then it will be too late, and her last thought will be, I should have listened to my husband.

The amount of ignorance that speaks from the quoted part in your post above, boggles my mind.

You claim to be a believer 'teaching' your wife and daughter that Buddha is probably in hell ?!?

I have no doubt that you are a 'good person' trying to live according to what is written in the Bible.  But though your faith is admirable, your actual beliefs could not be any farther from God, the universal consciousness that permeates the universe.

You also have the courage to articulate and defend your faith, even tough it makes you the laughing stock of all the skeptics on this Forum.  But in spite of the narrow mindedness of your beliefs, I'd rather be on your side that on the side of the clever skeptics that belittle spirituality. By constantly asking for 'proof' from those that have experienced a glimpse of God, they only prove how little faith they have themselves.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

No evidence whatsoever , because it isn't possible. You believing a scientists guesses shows that you have faith in a human, who is imperfect. A creator makes sense, to anyone not gullible or a fool. God's eternal existence is way over our heads, and you can ask him when you die, although there probably isn't an answer we could understand. The topic was about do you believe in God and why, and I've said faith. Some might have been taught to believe in scientists because they can prove some things. I can't prove God exists,and no one can prove otherwise.

"Scientists' guesses"

Obviously you are not a scientist.

Guessing in science is only part of the hypothesis. The scientist then goes about trying to disprove the hypothesis. There is no guessing. It is considered proven when it is repeatable, consistent, and actions can be based upon it. A rocket carries a certain amount of fuel because the scientist doesn't "guess', but rather calculates the thrust necessary to overcome the force of gravity. Radioactive decay isn't completely understood, but if you are exposed to a certain measurable amount of radiation, a scientist doesn't guess, but knows you are doing to die of radiation poisoning.

Scientists don't guess about the states of matter; they have theories which they have subsequently proven. In a few years you will be able to buy a quantum computer that is a few trillion times faster than anything now in existence, because scientists proved something about quantum theory. They didn't guess. They have also proven---though you are clearly incapable or unwilling to understand---that there is no need for a 'creator'. Your god is now unemployed.

Religious people have to make up stuff about Master Plans when their prayers go unanswered. They would do as well slicing open the belly of a canary and interpreting the manner in which the entrails fall on the ground, which is to say their only answer would be what randomness makes come about.

If I had a plan that involved sending a tornado through a trailer park and killing 50 people, I don't think anybody would build houses of worship in my name and pick a day of the week to come say 'thank you' to me. If you want to dig deep in your pocket and send me lots of money so that I may spread the Word of Walker, I won't argue, and I have no doubt I'll deliver at least as much as anybody's god.

• Confused 2

23 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

The so called "Revelations" may also being something which happens in someones head.

If one does believe this is the only place and the only life, one will try everything possible to make it agreeable.

Believers in a better coming life, may just adopt a fatalist way of living, as long they believe in the existence of God ( Their safe-pass to eternal happiness).

There are a lot of things here that are very enjoyable, and that I can thank God for, but there are things  that I hate also. I don't think someone can live just thinking they can do anything they want and expect a good outcome, both here and afterwards. Being a good person is what God wants, but also to believe in him. Some people, like me, feel good helping others, especially if they really need it. A fatalist believes that no matter what they do, there will be an outcome anyway. You can not only change your world around you, but help others to change theirs. I know it says no good deeds will get you into heaven, but by living your life for others, you are living the way God wants you to, and as long as you believe in him, you'll surely be with him in Heaven. If you're not a believer, it's still in your best interest to live a good life for you and others you affect, because that's where karma comes in.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

There are a lot of things here that are very enjoyable, and that I can thank God for, but there are things  that I hate also. I don't think someone can live just thinking they can do anything they want and expect a good outcome, both here and afterwards. Being a good person is what God wants, but also to believe in him. Some people, like me, feel good helping others, especially if they really need it. A fatalist believes that no matter what they do, there will be an outcome anyway. You can not only change your world around you, but help others to change theirs. I know it says no good deeds will get you into heaven, but by living your life for others, you are living the way God wants you to, and as long as you believe in him, you'll surely be with him in Heaven.

I have a simple motto = Try to do good, and if you can't do good, don't do bad.

I don't believe in God or a creator, however there is a possibility, we may also been the breed of aliens, or just a product from the Big Bang, or...

I live the way I decided to live, which is basically command 5 to 10 from the 10 Commandments for those believing in it.

Believing in God and living  the way He wants, never cross my mind.

I am conscious  that if He may exist, I will probably not been allowed in Heaven. 

51 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

By constantly asking for 'proof' from those that have experienced a glimpse of God,

We should first determine that those who have experienced a "glimpse' can certify it is from God, or just thinking it is from Him.

I have experienced such an event, I don't think it is from God, as it was an "intimation" there was no creator, no God.  

8 hours ago, VincentRJ said:

Actually, the prefix 'a', meaning 'not', is used a lot in the English language. It's a very useful letter.

An example which currently appears frequently in the media as a result of the Covid-19 situation, is 'asymptomatic', meaning 'not symptomatic', or 'not having symptoms'.

Other common examples are, amoral, apolitical, asocial, aperiodic, arhythmic, agrammatical, and interestingly 'aliteracy' which has a different meaning to illiteracy. A person who is illiterate doesn't know how to read, whereas a person who is aliterate tends to lack an interest in reading, although they are able to read if they must.

Even when a baby is born without a penis or vagina, he/she can be described as 'agenital'.

Correct...the prefix "a" means 'without' (or 'not'). You get an "A"! So why the unnecessary lesson on something which has been known and understood since we were like 12? Seems I failed miserably at making a fun point. The point was not to diss, nor dismiss, the prefix "a", but rather a play on words to show the absurdity of needing such "a-words" for ridiculous notions. 

Anyway, thanks for the linguistics lesson! :vampire:

22 hours ago, JensenZ said:

I'm trying to figure out how you gained your intuition and divine inspiration? Surely it was assisted by some affiliation with some religion in your past. Expecting a life after death of some type could be wishful thinking as the thought of not existing at all after death is hard for many people to except.

A personal answer to a personal question >

Actually I was never affiliated with religion in my past, my parents and grand-parents all having a non-religious  background.  And I never entered a church or attended a mass before my 18th birthday.

But even with that completely areligious background I was a 'seeker', and reading Gurdjieff / Ouspensky was more than an eye-opener for me but a flash of truth / awakening.

If people ask what is my religion, my short answer would be a mix of sufism and buddhism spiced with esoteric and animistic flavors.

And yes, I believe my spirit will not only not die, but also reincarnate as long as it needs to learn all the lessons that my present attitude/behavior reveal I have not 'lived' yet (and thus not fully understood).  My spirit is of course not my present personality, so it will not be Peter Denis that comes back but the divine spark/consciousness in that PD envelope.   

• Thanks 1