Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

28 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

We should first determine that those who have experienced a "glimpse' can certify it is from God, or just thinking it is from Him.

I have experienced such an event, I don't think it is from God, as it was an "intimation" there was no creator, no God.  

An intimation like the beautiful poem of Fernando Pessoa?

= = = =

I don't believe in God because I have never seen him.
If he wanted me to believe in him,
Then surely he'd come and speak to me.
He would enter by my door
Saying, "Here I am!"

(This may sound ridiculous to those who,
Because they aren't used to looking at things,
Can't understand a man who speaks of them
In the way that looking at things teaches.)

But if God is the flowers and trees
And hills and sun and moon,
Then I believe in him,
I believe in him at every moment,
And my life is all a prayer and a mass
And a communion by way of my eyes and ears.

But if God is the flowers and the trees
And hills and sun and moon,
Then why should I call him God?
I'll call him flowers and trees and hills and sun and moon.
Because if to my eyes he made himself
Sun and moon and flowers and trees and hills,
If he appears to me as trees and hills
And moon and sun and flowers,
Then he wants me to know him
As trees and hills and flowers and sun and moon.

And so I obey him.
(Do I know more about God than God knows about himself?)
I obey him by living spontaneously
As a man who opens his eyes and sees,
And I call him moon and sun and flowers and hills and trees,
And I love him without thinking of him,
And I think him by seeing and hearing,
And I am with him at every moment.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

The whole point can be argued to the complete opposite as well. 
If one does believe this is the only place and the only life, they may think they can do whatever they want, good or bad, without any consequences.
Believers in a better coming life (or the process of reincarnation), may see life as a precious gift and in a whole different context, and behave accordingly. Another one of those things that is not black or white, either-or.

As for the "revelations" or "glimpses of the Divine",...once you had one, there will be no doubt in YOUR mind as to what is real and what not, and best of all, you won't give a rat's ass what others might think.

There are consequences in this life. Thats all that matters. As for revelations, i suggest a psychiatrist.

believe what you like, just dont pester others about it.

16 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

... and best of all, you won't give a rat's ass what others might think.

But that doesn't  mean one should miss  any opportunity to mention it to others. 

Another way to let the others know how special one is. 

4 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

For your sake, I hope your heart opens. I understand you had an experience and like you said,it could have been just something in your head and not a revelation that was real. The young mind is very impressionable. This world isn't a good place in ways, and that's one reason I believe there's something better coming.

Yes a young mind is very impressionable. So stop trying to fill it with nonsense that will take years to undo.

Religion should only be discussed by adults who know better. To teach a child about religion is child abuse.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

But that doesn't  mean one should miss  any opportunity to mention it to others. 

Another way to let the others know how special one is. 

You are definitely the most special here, don't worry.

9 minutes ago, Sujo said:

There are consequences in this life. Thats all that matters. As for revelations, i suggest a psychiatrist.

believe what you like, just dont pester others about it.

You can be an ignorant idiot and nothing will happen to you.
As for revelations, I suggest you have one before you give any advice.
Believe what you like, just don't write nonsense.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Easy, just pretend you had one, and mention it regularly. 

3 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

And here it comes, the need to be vulgar. 

I tell you how it is straight on, instead of reverting to your passive aggressive BS 

Edited by Sunmaster
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

You can be an ignorant idiot and nothing will happen to you.
As for revelations, I suggest you have one before you give any advice.
Believe what you like, just don't write nonsense.

True, godbotherers can very aptly described as ignorant idiots.

i just had a revelation that followers of religion are not right in the head. God told me it was all a joke.

Believers in religion should not write nonsense.

3 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Correct...the prefix "a" means 'without' (or 'not'). You get an "A"! So why the unnecessary lesson on something which has been known and understood since we were like 12? Seems I failed miserably at making a fun point. The point was not to diss, nor dismiss, the prefix "a", but rather a play on words to show the absurdity of needing such "a-words" for ridiculous notions. 

Anyway, thanks for the linguistics lesson! :vampire:

I was just addressing your point; "Really there shouldn't even be a need for the word "atheist". However, your humour about fairies was noted. ????

If there's a need for the word 'theist', then why not atheist? Do you also think there shouldn't be a need for the word 'theist'?

Probably the majority of the world's population believe in a God of some type, and could be described as 'theists'. What's wrong with such a term? It's reasonably precise and brief, even if you think the belief itself is ridiculous.

Those who are not theists could then be described as atheists, unless the word 'atheist' is defined as an actual belief there is no God, which I think is a distortion of the meaning.

2 minutes ago, Sujo said:

True, godbotherers can very aptly described as ignorant idiots.

i just had a revelation that followers of religion are not right in the head. God told me it was all a joke.

Believers in religion should not write nonsense.

A "believer in religion".....yeah, far from being me. Not that I would expect you to understand the difference between spirituality and religion. But please, continue to make a fool out of yourself.

8 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

I'm sorry you don't understand.

You say "(the Bible) says there is Heaven and Hell. God has rules to follow." 

Are you suggesting that God is not in control of 'hell' and who ends up there? Either God is all powerful or he isn't. If he isn't all powerful he isn't God. If he chooses to send people to hell, he isn't so much a loving creator as a narcissistic megalomaniac who is content to condemn somebody like your wife (or a Buddha who preached compassion for all living things) to eternal damnation.

There are some seriously messed up people in this world who believe in, and threaten people with, a creator who punishes unbelievers with unending and unbearable pain.

Edited by teatime101
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Sujo said:

Yes a young mind is very impressionable. So stop trying to fill it with nonsense that will take years to undo.

Religion should only be discussed by adults who know better. To teach a child about religion is child abuse.

To teach the child about God is the most important lesson they will learn

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, teatime101 said:

You say "(the Bible) says there is Heaven and Hell. God has rules to follow." 

Are you suggesting that God is not in control of 'hell' and who ends up there? Either God is all powerful or he isn't. If he isn't all powerful he isn't God. If he chooses to send people to hell, he isn't so much a loving creator as a narcissistic megalomaniac who is content to condemn somebody like your wife (or a Buddha who preached compassion for all living things) to eternal damnation.

There are some seriously messed up people in this world who believe in, and threaten people with, a creator who punishes unbelievers with unending and unbearable pain.

I'd rather be seriously messed up and end up in Heaven than where the non believers are going. God is in control of everything, and Satan's power comes from you, and without that he is nothing. Call God what you will, but he's in charge of everyone's life and future, and that includes you.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Teaching by example by showing behavior in line with your beliefs, is far more effective than non-teaching by taking the scriptures literally.  Your quote that 'Buddha is probably now suffering in Hell' because he did follow a different path than the one you have chosen, is still the most ignorant thing I have ever read on this thread.

He probably is there because he followed a different path than I have chosen. He probably is there because he didn't have any use for God. I said probably, as I'm not the judge but God is. If you have no use for God and turn your back on him, which is the only unpardonable sin, it's your choice and you will pay the price. I didn't make the rules. God did. You may think it's an ignorant statement but God and his followers don't.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

He isn't there because he followed a different path than I have chosen. He is there because he didn't have any use for God. I said probably, as I'm not the judge but God is. If you have no use for God and turn your back on him, which is the only unpardonable sin, it's your choice and you will pay the price. I didn't make the rules. God did. You may think it's an ignorant statement but God and his followers don't.

Stating that Buddha 'turned his back on God' once again shows that you do not accept that there are other ways to God than the one laid out in the Bible. 

You write 'I didn't make the rules', but

a) you interpret them literally, and

b) you do not acknowledge that there are alternative 'rule-books' that are equivalent (and basically have the same message) - and that it is not even necessary to have a 'rule-book' to experience God.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/11/2020 at 6:07 PM, bert bloggs said:

well as there are billions of people in the world and billions have died already(plus those on other planets we do not even know about) he must be rushed off his feet ,"meeting us all"when we die .

Only meets the ones who gave up their free will. To believe that they were born sinners and must be his slave until they die, to get to meet him, and worship him trough eternity..Halleleujah

17 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Stating that Buddha 'turned his back on God' once again shows that you do not accept that there are other ways to God than the one laid out in the Bible. 

You write 'I didn't make the rules', but

a) you interpret them literally, and

b) you do not acknowledge that there are alternative 'rule-books' that are equivalent (and basically have the same message) - and that it is not even necessary to have a 'rule-book' to experience God.

I interpret them as they are intended. God made the 10 Commandments, what other rule books are you referring to ? The Quran, Torah, The Scrolls, Injeel and the like. They have the same rules in some ways, but if you follow the 10 Commandments, you are doing what God wants and is what's in our best interest. He made them to protect us from sin. You can experience God in many ways, but you have to follow his rules for a good life and future with him.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, VincentRJ said:

I was just addressing your point; "Really there shouldn't even be a need for the word "atheist". However, your humour about fairies was noted. ????

If there's a need for the word 'theist', then why not atheist? Do you also think there shouldn't be a need for the word 'theist'?

Probably the majority of the world's population believe in a God of some type, and could be described as 'theists'. What's wrong with such a term? It's reasonably precise and brief, even if you think the belief itself is ridiculous.

Those who are not theists could then be described as atheists, unless the word 'atheist' is defined as an actual belief there is no God, which I think is a distortion of the meaning.

That's the reason of the term "agnostic".

Some day I'm slightly agnostic, just to understand how someone who's agnostic or even atheist may think. I've come to the conclusion that "beliefs" are a part of everyone mind and experience, so it may be worth to believe in something that's worth believing in.

2 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

To teach the child about God is the most important lesson they will learn

Agree with you, one should teach children that God may or may not exist, and that many people believe the one or the other.

20 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I interpret them as they are intended. God made the 10 Commandments, what other rule books are you referring to ? The Quran, Torah, The Scrolls, Injeel and the like. They have the same rules in some ways, but if you follow the 10 Commandments, you are doing what God wants and is what's in our best interest. He made them to protect us from sin. You can experience God in many ways, but you have to follow his rules for a good life and future with him.

I interpret them as they are intended.

Quite a statement from your part, considering the many interpretations over the ages and the still ongoing discussions.

io

On 6/11/2020 at 6:06 PM, bert bloggs said:

It must be so lovely to believe ,that there is an entity who has created billions of worlds and impregnated a woman by immaculate conception and sent his only son down to this little planet and that one day when you die you will be met at the pearly gates and be reunited with all those you loved ,really i am not having a go at you ,i mean it ,must be a real comfort .

i wonder does the same thing happen to believers in those other Gods ? they have faith as well,who is going to be dissapointed on the day of reckoning?

You are talking about religion again. Faith in a higher power has not much to do with something men invented, though they use the innate belief in a higher power for their own benefit.

I've been thinking why so many on here are so offended by those that believe and IMO it may be because they asked God for something and God didn't give it to them, so they got angry and say that God doesn't exist.

Some say God must be bad because God allows disease. That's the Sunday school version of God. God created everything in existence and microbes are as much a part of creation as humans, and probably, on a planetary scale, as important as humans. However, humans are too arrogant and think God should help them more than other species. Humans are just passing through on planet earth and will be replaced in due course by another dominant species. We ain't as important to planet earth as we think we are.

1 hour ago, mrmazinkle said:

Only meets the ones who gave up their free will. To believe that they were born sinners and must be his slave until they die, to get to meet him, and worship him trough eternity..Halleleujah

You know that because......................................................?