Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

It's almost funny: After two years and almost 400 pages and almost 12,000 comments a few people here contributed more than 1000 comments each to talk about their god.

I guess that is a perfect example of an internet echo chamber.

God.png.e97822496f1a608ef2320ebc104eeff2.png

STREAM-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&auto=

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, ravip said:

But why would an almighty creator make something to wear out?

If the body was eternal, the soul and spirit could have occupied that forever. 

Why weren't we created like Saints? No crime, no war,  no sickness... just eternal paradise?

This might have been argued many times, by millions of humans - but no credible answer has been found - after all, for anyone who created this entire Universe, this would have been peanuts! 

Why all this suffering?  What purpose does it make?

I remember reading somewhere that the purpose was to learn, to endure, to realise and appreciate action reaction and consequences and to grow from it.

It was said that man was here to "experience" and when you have learned and achieved your preset tasks (sufferred) you will be allowed to pass on from the body /shell you inhabit.

Not my belief, but an interesting concept.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It's almost funny: After two years and almost 400 pages and almost 12,000 comments a few people here contributed more than 1000 comments each to talk about their god.

I guess that is a perfect example of an internet echo chamber.

God.png.e97822496f1a608ef2320ebc104eeff2.png

STREAM-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&auto=

Welllllllll, if you guys would stop posting a couple hundred pages ago it would have ended long ago. None of us believers are posting VDOs of ourselves sitting around the camp fire singing kumbaya.

So blame yourselves for keeping it going.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

None of us believers are posting VDOs of ourselves sitting around the camp fire singing kumbaya.

I understand that. I also wouldn't post videos like that. What would other people think about me?

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO the reason we are on this planet ( and possibly we have been or will be on other planets in other lives ) is to learn.

If "we" lived in a perfect paradise we would have no reason to do anything. Suffering brings learning and a desire to end suffering. Humans have always been most inventive during wars.

The Buddha only strove for Nirvana because of the suffering he encountered outside the palace walls. Had he remained inside, he might have been content his entire life.

23 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I remember reading somewhere that the purpose was to learn, to endure, to realise and appreciate action reaction and consequences and to grow from it.

It was said that man was here to "experience" and when you have learned and achieved your preset tasks (sufferred) you will be allowed to pass on from the body /shell you inhabit.

Not my belief, but an interesting concept.

Yes,  "the learning/ experiencing" concept is interesting - makes me feel like a laboratory specimen, with all the scientists observing me.

Anyhow, I wish HE made us all perfect,  so that we all could have lived in peace, ever after!

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think for a start he should make all girls perfect. And obviously they are not allowed to get older or fatter or anything like that. ????

HotGirl.png.a097907779a901160957d12846a82134.png

I don't usually agree with other posters on attractive women, but I can on that one.

However they are only perfect if the only word they say is "yes", never have a headache , and never, ever, want us to go shopping with them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, ravip said:

Anyhow, I wish HE made us all perfect,  so that we all could have lived in peace, ever after!

Think about it- if we all lived in perfect harmony, we'd eventually get so bored that we'd just die for lack of stimulus. Without Ying there is no Yang.

PS. If we were perfect we'd already be in paradise, so not on planet earth.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't usually agree with other posters on attractive women, but I can on that one.

However they are only perfect if the only word they say is "yes", never have a headache , and never, ever, want us to go shopping with them.

Shopping can be fun ...

vic.jpg?itok=5bWOwz5q

1 hour ago, ravip said:

But why would an almighty creator make something to wear out?

If the body was eternal, the soul and spirit could have occupied that forever. 

Why weren't we created like Saints? No crime, no war,  no sickness... just eternal paradise?

This might have been argued many times, by millions of humans - but no credible answer has been found - after all, for anyone who created this entire Universe, this would have been peanuts! 

Why all this suffering?  What purpose does it make?

Sometimes one has to accept something that cannot be changed. 

Complaining is useless anyway. 

Yet I'm confident that what can't be understood today can be understood in the future. 

2 hours ago, VincentRJ said:

although there is some disagreement about this.

That's exactly the point I was making. 

I haven't got the knowledge, nor the will to discuss the gravity laws in detail, but i would be grateful if some people could stop to push those theories as the ultimate truth.

Truth is, that we don't know what is the truth. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You should have stuck with the blond. I wouldn't take any of that line up.

I just realised that the one on the left looks like a Thai GF I once had, which is probably why I wouldn't pick her, even though she is probably the best looking of them.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Think about it- if we all lived in perfect harmony, we'd eventually get so bored that we'd just die for lack of stimulus. Without Ying there is no Yang.

PS. If we were perfect we'd already be in paradise, so not on planet earth.

That train of thought is because of what we are today, isn't it?

But,  imagine we all were Saints,  this planet was the paradise... Will we be bored? - why instill boredom, anger, jealousy etc in our mind,  by our Creator? 

We can live in peace... praying, meditating and giving thanks to our Creator, in a world without an end...

Yes, I am referring to a 100% perfect creation. 

science does not “merge” with pseudo-science

” spitituality”: chemical reactions in brain as science......

all the science (so far) overwhelmingly indicates No God

so odds are what ten million to one that “ God” exists ?

” choose not to believe” just doesnt cut it..... except for fanatics, sheep, kids.....

12 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

why instill boredom, anger, jealousy etc in our mind,  by our Creator? 

because that's what is necessary to survive on a hostile planet. Life was not easy 50,000 years ago when Homo Sapiens evolved.

We can live in peace etc when our life on earth is over and we pass to the

While probably this explanation can be perfected,  i am in complete agreement that some "bad" human traits are closely linked to the survival instinct. 

Without the brute force of our cavemen ancestors,  most probably we would not be here discussing philosophical issues. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

all the science (so far) overwhelmingly indicates No God

That's a lie, or at best, a very distorted truth. 

More correct would be saying that science,  so far, is not able to determine if supreme being (s) exist or not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1