Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

santa clause, tooth fairy, a zillion things made up for kids.....

then things made up for adults.....so they give them a moral compass and gets the cult stronger.

but we have morals even if no religion.   

why do we worship a flag of our country......same things.  belief, friendship, bonding.

believe, don't believe, i don't care.  i can't waste too much time worrying about this.   people think about it and become passive....pacification....another method by the cult for control.  

an invisible leader that is all-powerful.  lol

• Like 1

Gods were always very popular in many civilisations, Greeks, Romans... 

And then they practically dissappeared. 

Actually there is one called God, rather popular since a while. 

Of course nobody knows what may be next. 

• Like 1

To believe is a personal choice.  A simple belief is not harmful if not taught to children as truth or spoken as truth to adults. 

The problem with all "God" based religions is that they create human "followers" of unseen beings and century old myths. We are human beings - we have free will. Blind Faith is dangerous. People who choose myth instead of knowledge will always be potentially dangerous. 

https://whywontgodhealamputees.com/

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Gods were always very popular in many civilisations, Greeks, Romans... 

And then they practically dissappeared. 

Actually there is one called God, rather popular since a while. 

Of course nobody knows what may be next. 

Yes it is rather interesting that the multiplicity of religions were colonized basically by the monotheistic religions-rather like the way we are losing the planet's diversity of species.

I guess Hinduism and Shintoism remain as part of the original polytheistic word view..

Any old Greek or Roman adventurer would recognize the Thai Hindu/Buddhist/Animist mix.

We have lost thousands of religions in the last 500 years.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, rumak said:

There was a god here but he has left do to the more stringent immigration policies.  I think he was doing the

monthly income method.....

There's still a few around, they primarily hang out over in the World News forum.  ????

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

I rather put my "faith" in the continual, admittedly imperfect, process of scientific discovery rather than subscribe to a static system of faith based belief that resents and resists change.

Any god would agree with that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have seen God, touched God, tasted God when I have been mentally unwell. I have seen, heard and experienced things most would not believe when I have been manic and to this day, with all those mismatched chemicals running around in my brain, I cannot fathom the truth as it has seeemed to be all so real.

I was never religious but was about to quote endlessly from the Bible when manic. I saw mythical beings during the worst of my hallucinations.  I do not know the truth, I will never understand what happened to me, but if there is intelligent design out there, why only show it to people like myself that are sick and can just prove nothing from the experience. I really do not know the truth because it frightens me what I have seen, because if it is true, we are all at the mercy of intelligent design being known as God or something much greater. My doctors say my brain is a great manipulator and it is purely terrifying in what it can possible make in the realm of mania.

Like I said, it is very confusing what to believe. It would be comforting to know what I have seen is true and at times, I wish it was so.

Edited by totally thaied up
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Apart from the other thousands of arguments against god my favorite is the question: If god created everything and knows everything, who created that god? Was it a super god who crated that small god? Or was it random? Or how did god start to exist? It just doesn't make any sense.

The only counterpoint that I have heard to your argument is:

just because everything that you have experienced or know about has (as far as you can tell) a beginning and an end, doesn't mean there isn't something, somewhere that doesn't have either beginning or end.

Think of Klein bottles or mobius strips as simplified examples.

Just sayin'.

Yes, I understand that an eternal existence may very well violate several laws of thermodynamics.  But humans love exceptions to most laws.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Benroon said:

We also know that a virgin birth didn't happen don't we so the whole thing is based on madness.

I would love to take comfort in something like this but come on ….

Are you so sure? I didn't believe in God until they invented In Vitro Fertilisation.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, quandow said:

I believe life had some sort of intelligent design, and as I've pulled human remains out of a submerged plane crash and observed the lack of life, there is something about humans having a soul. It's even been weighed. As much as the method used to weigh the soul was sloppy science, I think the bible is sloppy narrative. Jesus was a short dark guy, not the European with flowing brown hair currently selling His book. It's been rewritten so many times with so many inconsistencies that it's difficult to fathom anyone taking it 100% seriously. There ARE many good parables, the lessons are good standards to apply to your walk through life. Do I believe we were created? Yes. Do I believe in the Judeo-Christian interpretation of God? No.

So we did not evolve from pond slim??

12 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

That's my view of religion.  Sad.  Really.  I have a daughter who is raising her son to believe in that nonsense.  I never raised her that way.  I don't know what her husband has done to her. 

Given her a good shagging, crying out "Oh  God Jesus that was good" at each orgasm 

4 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

I have not been sick like this for three years but I understand we’re you are coming from.

I'm no Dr. but from what I recall reading/hearing over time, a lot of these visions and encounters occur when the body and mind are in some kind of extremis or altered state.   Apart from religious leaders, don't hear of too many sober, otherwise stable folks sat on the couch at home claiming to be in touch with their chosen god.  Otherwise stable would exclude the more extreme religious believers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dont know if its the same these days, but as a child through Teens religion was forced upon us by means of Sunday School (unofficial free childminding), morning assembly which included Lords prayer and hymns everyday and Religious Education on the timetable which couldnt be swapped out for other subjects.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

I'm no Dr. but from what I recall reading/hearing over time, a lot of these visions and encounters occur when the body and mind are in some kind of extremis or altered state.   Apart from religious leaders, don't hear of too many sober, otherwise stable folks sat on the couch at home claiming to be in touch with their chosen god.  Otherwise stable would exclude the more extreme religious believers.

As a result of my Catholic education I read and wrote Latin and went to the special collections department at a big city library and read ancient texts on conjuring up girl slaves to take care of my teenage needs.  Never worked.  Parents thought I was a little nutty. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1