Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

On 6/17/2021 at 1:41 PM, Mansell said:

reincarnation to which there is lots of proof it exists

Wrong. Zero proof and not one iota of empirical evidence. Personal experience and testimony are not considered proof, nor evidence of any acceptable kind in making such a claim accepted as fact. 

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

No. Because the world makes no sense whatsoever if there is a God.

It makes perfect sense without one, where chance and randomness rule.

Reality is obviously a mix of order and randomness, on what basis are you saying that "chance and randomness rule " ?

I ask because it makes sense to deny the existence of God,  or gods, but denying the laws of the universe it's a bit harder.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

but denying the laws of the universe it's a bit harder.

Science knows very little about the world.

Most of the universe is so-called 'dark matter' - which you can't see, measure, feel ...

How can you possibly have what people call "God" without knowing what the majority of the universe is ?

Quantum Theory tries to explain this - but we are a LONG way off from even a minuscule basic understanding.

For example ...

"Some have even used it to argue that the quantum world is influenced by human consciousness, giving our minds an agency and a place in the ontology of the universe."

"If nothing else, these experiments are showing that we cannot yet make any claims about the nature of reality, even if the claims are well-motivated mathematically or philosophically"

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/what-does-quantum-theory-actually-tell-us-about-reality/

God belongs in stories which start with "Once Upon a Time ..."

Edited by canthai55
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Science knows very little about the world.

Most of the universe is so-called 'dark matter' - which you can't see, measure, feel ...

So, you can't see it, measure and feel it, but according to science,  which knows very little, most of the universe is dark matter.

Ok, somehow it makes sense ????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

So, you can't see it, measure and feel it, but according to science,  which knows very little, most of the universe is dark matter.

Ok, somehow it makes sense ????

That's right. Science doesn't know. If they do come up with an explanation and then data is discovered which refutes the original explanation, science will change it's collective mind........unlike religion. Science goes where the evidence leads.

Just because something is unknown it can't just be attributed to God.

This is called the God of the Gaps fallacy, which is ever diminishing as science comes up with explanations that don't need a God.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Reality is obviously a mix of order and randomness, on what basis are you saying that "chance and randomness rule " ?

I ask because it makes sense to deny the existence of God,  or gods, but denying the laws of the universe it's a bit harder.

Take a left turn and you will be killed in a road accident; keep going straight and it won't happen.

Touch that door-know and you'll get Covid. Touch another door-knob and you won't.

You visit relatives on the coast and you have a swim and get bitten by something. Go swimming an hour later and you won't.

This is what I mean by chance and randomness; nothing to do with the laws of physics, or a God.

Who survives through life is just down to randomness and chance.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

That's right. Science doesn't know. If they do come up with an explanation and then data is discovered which refutes the original explanation, science will change it's collective mind........unlike religion. Science goes where the evidence leads.

Just because something is unknown it can't just be attributed to God.

This is called the God of the Gaps fallacy, which is ever diminishing as science comes up with explanations that don't need a God.

Well, I translate the word God with "everything " which exists. 

"Everything ", includes what you  can see, and what you cannot see, I'll let you find out yourself what you can see and what you can't,  but it's hard to deny that "everything " exists.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Take a left turn and you will be killed in a road accident; keep going straight and it won't happen.

Touch that door-know and you'll get Covid. Touch another door-knob and you won't.

You visit relatives on the coast and you have a swim and get bitten by something. Go swimming an hour later and you won't.

This is what I mean by chance and randomness; nothing to do with the laws of physics, or a God.

The fact that you can do good and bad choices is the proof that reality is a mix of reason and randomness ( or chance)... so you're proving my point ????

35 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

"Everything ", includes what you  can see, and what you cannot see, I'll let you find out yourself what you can see and what you can't,  but it's hard to deny that "everything " exists.

Define what you want, how you want. You don't address my points, but go off down a rabbit-hole, which is why I don't usually get involved with this subject. No one will change anyone else's mind, so what's the point?

35 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

The fact that you can do good and bad choices is the proof that reality is a mix of reason and randomness ( or chance)... so you're proving my point ????

Nope, proving your point needs evidence. You are the one claiming God exists.

Your observation is word salad.

Adios muchachos......

• Like 1

Define what you want, how you want. You don't address my points, but go off down a rabbit-hole, which is why I don't usually get involved with this subject. No one will change anyone else's mind, so what's the point?

We're not here to change anyone's mind but to widen our own horizon. You could try that...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

You don't address my points,

What points were those? That you only believe in randomness? Well, that's your choice, but there's nothing really anyone can add to that. ????‍♂️
If you're happy to live like that, good for ya.

31 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

The point is to develop your consciousness,  but it seems like you're not interested. 

I am confident that it wouldn't affect the rotation speed of the planet, so I guess I'll be sleeping well tonight ????

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

As good a definition as any.

Rule #1 - Don't be an A**hole

If you follow this rule there is no need for any others.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

That seems rather simplistic,  especially nowadays, when human relationships seem to be so complicated. 

... if you think a little bit more, the definitions of "being an A**hole" are as many as the individuals on this  planet, but,  whatever floats your boat..

• Thanks 1

On 6/17/2021 at 3:17 PM, bert bloggs said:

If there was a god,why would he let people die of a thing like coronavieus,or perhaps he is busy checking on the billions of other planets and galazies he created.

You are giving God human properties, and God is not human. IMO, to God that created everything, all life on planet earth is of equal importance ie the virus that kills us is equal in the "eyes" of God to humans.

Only humans are so arrogant that they think we are special in creation, and some even think that God "loves" us.

To my knowledge entire planetary systems die in cosmic disasters- God didn't protect the life on them.

To a being that created uncountable numbers of species on uncountable numbers of planets in uncountable numbers of solar systems in uncountable numbers of galaxies IMO we humans are not even significant.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Nope, proving your point needs evidence. You are the one claiming God exists.

Your observation is word salad.

Adios muchachos......

Who's trying to prove a point? I'm certainly not, and I doubt the other few posters that believe are concerned with trying to convert anyone. We are discussing what works for us and any that don't believe can post whatever they like but it's not going to convert us.

The problem with posters that haven't been with us for the past 400 or so pages is that they have no idea of where we believers are at, and I'm certainly not going to keep repeating myself every time someone new writes the same sort of posts as we've seen 100s of times before.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

Problem with that is that someone I think is an A**hole, does not think they are. Most of us tend to overlook  our own faults.

13 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

We have been discussing the "point" for over 400 pages, but it's not up to us to explain everything to you if you have only just come on.

Everything is explained in the past pages.

13 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Indeed, randomness exists in all life, ergo randomness is designed into life by the creator.

Where you, IMO, err, is thinking that God should be interventionist for humans. I don't even understand why a non believer thinks that God should guide human life on earth. Without bad things happening, IMO humans would never advance beyond primitive creatures living an easy life.

17 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Wrong. Zero proof and not one iota of empirical evidence. Personal experience and testimony are not considered proof, nor evidence of any acceptable kind in making such a claim accepted as fact. 

You've been absent for a while, but we ain't trying to prove anything to the unbelievers.

BTW absence of proof is not proof of non existence.

Human science just isn't advanced to know anything about the existence or otherwise of God. Human science is far too primitive to have a clue about such.

On 6/17/2021 at 4:48 PM, bert bloggs said:

Doesnt have to be free from death ,but why make us suffer before we die? Thats wicked,why not live then die peacfully? 

Why do you think God "makes" us suffer? What about all the lower species that exists by killing other species- why do they have to kill so brutally? Are we humans more important in God's "eye" than all the other species on earth?

Wouldn't it be a perfect world without any disease, bad weather and if food just appeared on a magic table?

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You've been absent for a while, but we ain't trying to prove anything to the unbelievers.

BTW absence of proof is not proof of non existence.

Human science just isn't advanced to know anything about the existence or otherwise of God. Human science is far too primitive to have a clue about such.

Oh I'm never "absent" as I'm omnipresent and always watching...just like Santa. 

For 2+years now you've railed on and on how no mere human, nor science, can possibly have a clue about such stuff. Yet YOU somehow believe something (and even advocate and defend) what you readily and repeatedly admit YOU haven't a clue about. How is that possible? 

14 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Human science is far too primitive to have a clue about such.

Thing is, some people makes it looking much more primitive as they are apparently not able to understand that science is not settled. 

Science by definition is incessant learning, but people who are too lazy to think will hide behind the false dogma:

"Science says".

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Thing is, some people makes it looking much more primitive as they are apparently not able to understand that science is not settled. 

Science by definition is incessant learning, but people who are too lazy to think will hide behind the false dogma:

"Science says".

It's better than "Simon Says" ????