Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

41 minutes ago, Andy from Kent said:

I sent an  article from a New Zealand newspaper to a friend with whom I'd worked  for  a dozen years.     I know he's religious and the article was I thought void of politics and  or anything  controversial.

He sent back this reply to me:

"Hi XXXX, in this world, even though I turned my back to it and my Lord and Savior for nearly ten years, this is the only real truth, the only news and truth that matters in the end. My prayer is for you to receive the free gift of a merciful ,gracious and loving Savior! When one receives true forgiveness from sin, by realizing that “all” have sinned and asking forgiveness,expressing true  repentance and believing In Christ, can one have true Peace, and a Biblical understanding of what is happening today! 
I am seriously hoping and praying  that your heart and mind are ready to accept this free gift of “eternal life” of joy and happiness—the alternative is “eternal life “ of  never ending suffering !
Well  XXXX,  that’s my true feeling of this world’s news reporting! “
I find his attitude unfortunate and uncaring for others.

I wonder how some religions convince followers that their's is the one and only true religion?    That remains a mystery to me.

I'm convinced he meant well, but I can't share his belief at all.

Eternal life is a given, your true condition, whether you believe in it or in Jesus or the bible or whatever else, or don't have any spiritual beliefs at all. Suffering is not realizing this simple fact. To identify with the body, with the ego, to believe you're limited, to walk through life not knowing that you really are an eternal spark of the Divine pretending to be human....that the true suffering. Thankfully, this suffering can be overcome.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, OmegaRacer said:

I'm convinced he meant well, but I can't share his belief at all.

Eternal life is a given, your true condition, whether you believe in it or in Jesus or the bible or whatever else, or don't have any spiritual beliefs at all. Suffering is not realizing this simple fact. To identify with the body, with the ego, to believe you're limited, to walk through life not knowing that you really are an eternal spark of the Divine pretending to be human....that the true suffering. Thankfully, this suffering can be overcome.

Well said, and i don't think Jesus ever talked about "eternal suffering ", which is more likely to be just superstition. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

I wouldn't say that's an "unfortunate and uncaring" attitude, although perhaps there's some naivety in trying to convince others when we find something which we think is worth to let everyone know. 

When i became a vegetarian, I was pestering everyone around me for a year or so, before understanding that the people were getting annoyed .

Thanks, I get it but I don't think there's a solid comparison between being a vegetarian and  being a radical right wing religious  zealot.  His right wing stance allows him to be hateful of all who are not members of his Southern Baptist church which is a very large right wing denomination in the USA.

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

All organized religions use the same tactic to exert control on their followers.

That is what they are all about.

Perhaps that's why I referred  to some mutual friends that this man had succumbed to drugs  as in "religion is the drug of the masses".   At least I think that was the opinion of Marx.

3 minutes ago, Andy from Kent said:

Thanks, I get it but I don't think there's a solid comparison between being a vegetarian and  being a radical right wing religious  zealot.  His right wing stance allows him to be hateful of all who are not members of his Southern Baptist church which is a very large right wing denomination in the USA.

Well, if there's something which I really don't like, it's fanaticism.

If religion turns people into haters, is a very poor religion imho, but, again, I wouldn't condemn religion itself; religion can be useful,  harmless or dangerous, it depends on how we see it.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2021 at 10:25 PM, Andy from Kent said:

I wonder how some religions convince followers that their's is the one and only true religion?    That remains a mystery to me.

Probably in the same way that some are convinced that science knows everything ( it doesn't ), or that climate change is going to end the world in 10 years ( nobody knows if that will happen or not ), or any of the current fads circulating among the woke eg that there are more than 2 genders, or that getting rid of the police will make us safer etc.

On 6/25/2021 at 10:25 PM, Andy from Kent said:

I sent an  article from a New Zealand newspaper to a friend with whom I'd worked  for  a dozen years.     I know he's religious and the article was I thought void of politics and  or anything  controversial.

He sent back this reply to me:

Given you don't post the article for us to understand what was in it, he may have thought you were attacking him by sending unsolicited newspaper articles. Given the wokeness of so called journalists nowadays I assume it was attacking religion.

On 6/25/2021 at 11:03 PM, canthai55 said:

All organized religions use the same tactic to exert control on their followers.

That is what they are all about.

Woke organisations have obviously learned to use the same tactics to exert control on their followers, given the fanaticism some display.

On 6/25/2021 at 6:26 PM, mauGR1 said:

Well said, and i don't think Jesus ever talked about "eternal suffering ", which is more likely to be just superstition. 

Matthew 13:42, KJV Jesus says: "And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth." 

Matthew 13:42, NASB: "and they will throw them into the furnace of fire; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth."

Christ will send the reapers, His angels, to gather out of His kingdom all the law breakers and the causes of sin.

Now He adds what will be done with them. They will be thrown into the fiery furnace, a place where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. Jesus often used this language to describe the eternal fate of those who do not repent of their sin in order to be included in the kingdom of heaven (Matthew 5:22; 8:12). He is describing the experience of God's judgment on those who do not come to His kingdom through faith in the Messiah. We commonly refer to this as hell.

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Matthew 13:42, KJV Jesus says: "And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth." 

Matthew 13:42, NASB: "and they will throw them into the furnace of fire; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth."

Christ will send the reapers, His angels, to gather out of His kingdom all the law breakers and the causes of sin.

Now He adds what will be done with them. They will be thrown into the fiery furnace, a place where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. Jesus often used this language to describe the eternal fate of those who do not repent of their sin in order to be included in the kingdom of heaven (Matthew 5:22; 8:12). He is describing the experience of God's judgment on those who do not come to His kingdom through faith in the Messiah. We commonly refer to this as hell.

And all the Chosen Ones will live happily ever after

The end

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Life can be very funny sometimes, but today i saw an atheist quoting the bible to prove her point. ????

I know it's hard to believe, but it's true.

The only reason the "holey" bible is referenced is 'cuz it's the only place (of which she's aware) which quotes the supposed character referred to as Jesus. You stated you didn't believe he mentioned "eternal suffering", which was specifically shown to be grossly incorrect. Instead of learning... 

... just another in constant string of strawman and deflection arguments during these past 2+ years when a point made is shown to be errant....then not addressing obvious error. Hard to believe such tactics are still being used! But crystal clear to anyone reading and following this thread! People sure can be funny at times! ????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I found it interesting. Shows that Jesus was on the fear train as well. Do as I say or eternal damnation. OK Jesus. 

Do you trust the "holy books" just when they fit with your narrative ?

Just asking ????

But perhaps you were around when Jesus was preaching and you listened directly to him????

• Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

The only reason the "holey" bible is referenced is 'cuz it's the only place (of which she's aware) which quotes the supposed character referred to as Jesus. You stated you didn't believe he mentioned "eternal suffering", which was specifically shown to be grossly incorrect. Instead of learning... 

... just another in constant string of strawman and deflection arguments during these past 2+ years when a point made is shown to be errant....then not addressing obvious error. Hard to believe such tactics are still being used! But crystal clear to anyone reading and following this thread! People sure can be funny at times! ????

You're probably confusing me with someone who's interested in what you have to  say ????

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skeptic7 said:

You stated you didn't believe he mentioned "eternal suffering", which was specifically shown to be grossly incorrect. Instead of learning...

The Bible is such a trusted source, immune to criticism, all true.

Specifically shown - and that is the source ?

What does Hansel and Gretel have to say ?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I found it interesting. Shows that Jesus was on the fear train as well. Do as I say or eternal damnation. OK Jesus. 

The only thing we know for sure, is that the scriptures in the bible have been repeatedly revised and changed to suit those in power. I wouldn't judge the man by one line in a book full of vague and sometimes contradicting statements. In fact, I feel I know so little about him, that I can't even start to build an opinion about him.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Do you trust the "holy books" just when they fit with your narrative ?

Just asking ????

But perhaps you were around when Jesus was preaching and you listened directly to him????

It's interesting - I searched Mr Google and many say as you say he did not believe in hell. But they often don't mention the verses above. Of those that do some interpret it as hell..some don't.

One thing that showed up is that hell seemed to often be a later construct. So I guess you just have to ... decide for yourself.

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy

43 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

You're probably confusing me with someone who's interested in what you have to  say ????

Yet another deflection. If'n you really didn't care, then you wouldn't respond. TBH...you want nothing to do with facts and reality based, evidence based arguments. Clear to any and all following this thread since the beginning...or even only this page! ????

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

The Bible is such a trusted source, immune to criticism, all true.

Specifically shown - and that is the source ?

What does Hansel and Gretel have to say ?

You've exerpted a portion of my post and strawmanned it TOTALLY by taking it out of context. I've been here since the beginning (2+ years) and EVERYONE else who has knows that I put zero stock in the bible or any god(s). So even tho you were completely dishonest in quoting me, I agree with you completely. The Bible is a work of fiction and imagination, same as Hansel & Gretel. My point was clearly and concisely made and obvious, yet you still chose to misrepresent me. The mind boggles, as reading some of your previous posts...seems we are on the same page, or am I mistaken? ????

Edited by Skeptic7

42 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

It's interesting - I searched Mr Google and many say as you say he did not believe in hell. But they often don't mention the verses above. Of those that do some interpret it as hell..some don't.

One thing that showed up is that hell seemed to often be a later construct. So I guess you just have to ... decide for yourself.

Well, i appreciate the fact that you did a bit of research. 

It's a known fact that the holy books have been translated in different languages over 2000 years, and I'm just referring to the gospels, the old testament is much older.

Moreover the establishment has been notoriously altering some truth for its own gain (rule by fear)

You might be interested in looking for "Esoteric Christianity ", or the "Apocriph Gospels" , which,  of course are dismissed by the Vatican and its servants. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Sunmaster said:

Hey, all that and I haven't used the "G" word once!

Hmmmm...isn't g-word kinda-sorta the topic here based on the OP title? Doubtful this is what Ivor (OP) originally had in mind, but surely he'd love it just to further extend his longest-thread-ever record. Perhaps he'll chime in, though wouldn't count on it. He's nearly as absent and undetectable as every single god-concept ever proposed throughout history! ????

25 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Hmmmm...isn't g-word kinda-sorta the topic here based on the OP title? Doubtful this is what Ivor (OP) originally had in mind, but surely he'd love it just to further extend his longest-thread-ever record. Perhaps he'll chime in, though wouldn't count on it. He's nearly as absent and undetectable as every single god-concept ever proposed throughout history! ????

Irrelevant strawman argument!!! ????????

Why don't you respond to the points in my post, instead of deflecting?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

I think if you are talking about god the most fruitful discussion is to hear from those who feel a sense of god to talk about how they experience it.

The first step could be to understand the experience of some sort of objective consciousness i.e. an experience beyond the known senses.

The next step might be to see if this necessarily means a god is at play or whether there is just some spiritual dimension that requires no god.

It beats just saying 'You can't prove your god so there'. Not saying that is your argument. I read some back pages the other day and I saw that not much I have said had not been said three times before so new approaches are helpful. Probably we'll all remain in our believe and not believe camps but something to do. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

and you know that because? If you don't know, Google is your friend.

Google "when were matthew mark luke and john written" and you get

Like the rest of the New Testament, the four gospels were written in Greek. The Gospel of Mark probably dates from c. AD 66–70, Matthew and Luke around AD 85–90, and John AD 90–110. Despite the traditional ascriptions, all four are anonymous and most scholars agree that none were written by eyewitnesses.

Like it says, none were written by eyewitnesses, ergo just because it's in the Bible it doesn't mean Jesus actually said them.

No cigar. Next.

• Like 1