Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

14 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

...Stunning though it all is, the earth is an unremarkable planet in an unremarkable solar system of seven other planets in an unremarkable galaxy that contains roughly 2-400 billion other unremarkable solar systems in a universe with an abundance of carbon and oxygen that contains up to two trillion other unremarkable galaxies in its observable-to-us bit. ...

A similar thought occurred to me when I was shopping at Walmart the other day.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

Ecclesiastes 3:8 - A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

Oh! I see! So the New Testament is misleading and imprecise. It needs amending, along the lines, "Love thine enemy only when appropriate, and hate him the rest of the time." Right? ????

7 hours ago, daveAustin said:

I typically avoid getting drawn into meaningless debates on god and the universe from the angle of devout religiousness where the earth is mere thousands of years old because one is arguing against logic. Anyway, here are some thoughts on the issue then I’m outta here:

Stunning though it all is, the earth is an unremarkable planet  ... 

There is one thing you forgot to mention: consciousness

Normally people think we have consciousness

Could it be that we ARE consciousness?

consciousness fixed to a body for some time?

And that there is consciousness without bodies?

There are many hints that consciousness can exist without a body.

So there are two things: the physical universe with matter and fields and radiation and movement and all that stuff

and Consciousness  experiencing being a body

Edited by sweatalot

1 hour ago, VincentRJ said:

Oh! I see! So the New Testament is misleading and imprecise. It needs amending, along the lines, "Love thine enemy only when appropriate, and hate him the rest of the time." Right? ????

Don't be drawn in Vincent. This CMnightrider is, IMO, a great big wind-up.

Although he bangs on about christianty, other religions; catholics, muslims, shintoes, etc., don't get too much praise.

I just visit, this thread, occasionally, to get a laff at now just plain nuts people can be.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Don't be drawn in Vincent. This CMnightrider is, IMO, a great big wind-up.

Although he bangs on about christianty, other religions; catholics, muslims, shintoes, etc., don't get too much praise.

I just visit, this thread, occasionally, to get a laff at now just plain nuts people can be.

I'm not drawn in, in the sense of being duped, if that's what you mean. I've always been interested in the apparent irrationality of religious belief, and the flagrant inconsistencies in the behaviour of people and countries that claim to be Christian, especially in the past when the religious leaders had more power.

• Like 2

We all have the choice to believe in God, accept salvation, deny it, call it nonsense, even be an atheist and deny God completely.  We can choose a thousand other paths.  Just remember, eternity is a long time to think about the fact that you were wrong.  It's a BIG BET how you will choose in spiritual matters.  Think of them carefully and choose wisely!  It's up to you ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is something for you non-believers to think about.  We all know blood is the source of life and health.  (Leviticus 17;11 14)  Up until 120 years ago, sick people were "bled" and many died as a result.  George Washington was an example of what could go wrong with this procedure.  Today we know healthy blood is necessary to bring life giving nutrients to every cell in the body.  In the Bible, God declared "the life of the flesh is in the blood" long before science understood its function.

• Confused 1

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 11:37 AM, marcusarelus said:

Many orthodox people speak as though it were the business of sceptics to disprove received dogmas rather than of dogmatists to prove them. This is, of course, a mistake.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell's_teapot

I was not referring to "dogmas" in which I have little interest.

I was referring to those that STATE there is no "god", when they don't know. Nobody knows. One can choose not to believe in such, but they can't PROVE that "god" does not exist. Therefore it is as much their OPINION, same as it is the OPINION of those that do believe in "god".

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 1:55 PM, VincentRJ said:

Very comforting! But make sure you love all your enemies and all your neighbors, otherwise you'll be stuffed for ever more. Don't ever join the armed forces, for God's sake! ????

Also sell all one has and give it to the poor, for a rich man etc.

God is not against killing, at least in scripture. The Bible is full of his chosen people killing others. It's murder that is referred to, IMO. 

13 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I was not referring to "dogmas" in which I have little interest.

I was referring to those that STATE there is no "god", when they don't know. Nobody knows. One can choose not to believe in such, but they can't PROVE that "god" does not exist. Therefore it is as much their OPINION, same as it is the OPINION of those that do believe in "god".

Can't prove that Zeus and Thor, fairies and leprechauns and other magical creatures don't exist either, but we have no good reason to believe that they do. Do you stand by the same argument for them?

Same thing with god(s) IMO. Not saying they don't exist, but with only wild speculations, unlikely possibilities and magical, mystical BS from ancient, ignorant texts or pulled out of the rear ends of posters here...absolutely ZERO reason to think they do. I do NOT believe any of them exist, nor do I have any good reason to believe such...but am not claiming that I know this as an absolute certainty. They all just seem HIGHLY unlikely. 

Many here seem to have forgotten or are just unbelievably ignorant and uninformed to the fact that certain religious groups use their privilege and power to manipulate politicians and dictate laws. This is where the problems start! Certain religions...namely Christians and Muslims...want to ram their very subjective and ignorant beliefs from the Bronze and Iron ages (and interpretations) down everyone's throats and start legislating on such ridiculousness. DEMANDING special treatment, privileges, laws, etc to promote their status, while demeaning, degrading and taking rights away from others. Using their folly as power and politicians using it to get elected and reelected. Denying medical care and treatment options...including but not limited to abortion. Limiting, hindering and totally stopping research and medical advances. Open and blatant bigotry, misogyny and hate against others that think and/or act differently. Denying science and KNOWLEDGE and preventing kids from getting well educated on many aspects of life. Forcing their crap on everyone. Christians have done this extensively throughout history and amazingly still rampant in the USA as well as other parts of the world. Islam needs no further explaining, nor introductions.

My take is...believe whatever batshit crazy things you want, just keep it OUT OF LAWMAKING and politics. Keep it private. Don't hurt anyone or infringe on others rights. Don't deny medical care or real education because it offends your regressive superstitions and interpretations. 

KEEP RELIGION OUT OF GOVERNMENT! :thumbsup:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Also sell all one has and give it to the poor, for a rich man etc.

God is not against killing, at least in scripture. The Bible is full of his chosen people killing others. It's murder that is referred to, IMO. 

Plenty of murder in there too...both by Yahweh himself and ordered by the Brute. Infanticide, genocide, rape and pillage all at the hands of the Monster of the Bible. Monster of the Bible is certainly not against killing nor murder, as IT is probably the most ruthless, jealous, vindictive, murderer of all time...and certainly in all of fiction. ????

• Like 1

Nearly all my family apart from my Mum, Dad and myself are missionaries. They have been preaching the word for forty years and I must admit after seeing their work, they have done more good than bad. I cannot really say anything bad against them as they are selfless in the fact they give so much.

As I like to think, each to their own device. Over this time, I have seen a few things to question everything. I have seen my fair share of death in this life. Dying is not a easy process if it is slow. A friend of mine died very slowly. It was only his faith that made it easier. His wifes faith made the passing much easier. I have very little faith but after watching such people die, in such pain, yet watching them seem be at peace with themselves makes me think, having such faith may be a good thing. I could not in anyway deal with what happened and one thing I have seen with all my relatives, is the fact they are all at peace with themselves. I have lacked such peace all my life and at time wonder am I wrong.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, totally thaied up said:

Nearly all my family apart from my Mum, Dad and myself are missionaries. They have been preaching the word for forty years and I must admit after seeing their work, they have done more good than bad. I cannot really say anything bad against them as they are selfless in the fact they give so much.

As I like to think, each to their own device. Over this time, I have seen a few things to question everything. I have seen my fair share of death in this life. Dying is not a easy process if it is slow. A friend of mine died very slowly. It was only his faith that made it easier. His wifes faith made the passing much easier. I have very little faith but after watching such people die, in such pain, yet watching them seem be at peace with themselves makes me think, having such faith may be a good thing. I could not in anyway deal with what happened and one thing I have seen with all my relatives, is the fact they are all at peace with themselves. I have lacked such peace all my life and at time wonder am I wrong.

Faith is a  good thing. I am not talking about faith in God but about faith in a good outcome. Their faith helped them. It doesn't matter whether they believed in God helping them to be happy or - just their faith that they would be happy. For most people it seems to be easier to trust in a higher being than to trust in themselves.

"Thy faith has made thou whole" (Matthew 9) means: Thy faith to be whole (healed)

NOT: "Thy faith that God will make you whole"

Most people underestimate the power of faith (not faith in a God apart from them).

There are many Christians leading good lives and doing good things

which does not mean the stories of the bible are true.

Edited by sweatalot
  • Like 1

The Bible specifies the perfect dimensions for a stable water vessel.  (Genesis 6:15)  Ship builders today are well aware the ideal dimension for a ship stability is a length six times the width.  Keep in mind, God told Noah the ideal dimensions for the ark 4,500 years ago.                                         

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, sweatalot said:

Faith is a  good thing. I am not talking about faith in God but about faith in a good outcome. Their faith helped them. It doesn't matter whether they believed in God helping them to be happy or - just their faith that they would be happy. For most people it seems to be easier to trust in a higher being than to trust in themselves.

"Thy faith has made thou whole" (Matthew 9) means: Thy faith to be whole (healed)

NOT: "Thy faith that God will make you whole"

Most people underestimate the power of faith (not faith in a God apart from them).

There are many Christians leading good lives and doing good things

which does not mean the stories of the bible are true.

Thee

"Thy face has made thee whole."

Do people not learn English at school any more.

Or maybe the author was using "whole" as a verb.  Maybe it's a golfing spelling error.

Hi, God here.

Bang Bang, a human jackass sometimes I regret having created, left without logging out yet again.

Anyway interesting topic. Of course, I exist. But go ahead amuse yourselves debating the obvious. But I hope at the end of the day you get down on your knees and, you know the drill.

Because, look I have quotas to fill both good and bad. So let's say a fellow, we'll call him John, clasps his hand, closes his eyes and says nice things about me before turning in every night. While his buddy Joe across the street makes fun of his wife saying her prayers, taunting her "imaginary friend". Yes, sadly there's lots of Joe's and not just on TV.

Well, like I said I have quotas. So suppose I have one more person to strike down with an incurable disease before I call it a day myself. Who do you think I would choose? John? Joe? No I am not vindictive. Humans beg my forgiveness all the time and I do oblige. But even from a strictly utilitarian point of view who would it be better for me to have around on Earth in the long run?

I hear the toilet flushing. At least that nincompoop BB is toilet trained. Got to go. But think about what I said.

Edited by Bang Bang
  • Haha 1

Our bodies are made from the dust of the ground (Genesis 2:7;3:19) Scientists have discovered the human body is comprised of some 28 base and trace elements-all of which are found in the earth.                                                                                 

23 hours ago, CMNightRider said:
We all have the choice to believe in God, accept salvation, deny it, call it nonsense, even be an atheist and deny God completely.

Big question since all paths lead to Romanesque logical fallacies.... why would someone wish it to be true? Why would someone wish to be a slave or perhaps put more accurately, gain their unfreedom?

56 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

Our bodies are made from the dust of the ground (Genesis 2:7;3:19) Scientists have discovered the human body is comprised of some 28 base and trace elements-all of which are found in the earth.                                                                                 

now it's becoming ridiculous

and insulting the intelligence of readers

Edited by sweatalot
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

now it's becoming ridiculous

and insulting the intelligence of readers

I certainly wouldn't want to insult the intelligence of the readers on this site but are you suggesting scientists are wrong about confirming scientific facts written in the Bible?  

The First Law of Thermodynamics established (Genesis 2:1-2) The First Law states the quantity of energy and matter in the universe is a constant.  One form of energy or matter may be converted into another but the total quantity always remains the same.  Therefore the creation is "Finished" exactly as God stated in Genesis.

Bible scholars believe that Genesis was written by Moses, under inspiration of the Holy Spirit, during the forty years that the children of Israel wandered in the wilderness (1450 - 1410 B.C.).  Moses was chosen by God to deliver the children of Israel from Egyptian bondage.  The details of his life are recorded in the Old Testament book of Exodus.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, notmyself said:

Big question since all paths lead to Romanesque logical fallacies.... why would someone wish it to be true? Why would someone wish to be a slave or perhaps put more accurately, gain their unfreedom?

Comforting perhaps. We do have a penchant for being led which no doubt has the benefit of lowering stress and anxiety although at the cost of much of our mental faculties. Happiness in madness and what not.

Anyway. I've tried a couple of times to explain that I reject the claim a theistic god exists on the basis that no convincing argument has ever been put forward to suggest even a need for one. Imagine, if you can, a wall of white noise of every possible claim... the claim joins it until there is a reason to focus on it. Join the club.

Some members may find this of interest

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, notmyself said:

Comforting perhaps. We do have a penchant for being led which no doubt has the benefit of lowering stress and anxiety although at the cost of much of our mental faculties. Happiness in madness and what not.

Anyway. I've tried a couple of times to explain that I reject the claim a theistic god exists on the basis that no convincing argument has ever been put forward to suggest even a need for one. Imagine, if you can, a wall of white noise of every possible claim... the claim joins it until there is a reason to focus on it. Join the club.

Some members may find this of interest

"No evidence for God"????  You have got to be joking.  All this guy did is talk in circles.  Although, the one thing he did prove is he is spiritually blinded.   

The Bible claims the universe had a beginning.  Philosophers and scientists rejected that claim for over two thousand years, but now astronomers believe the universe had a beginning, the so-called big bang (though with a very different time frame).

The Bible claims that all humans are “one blood” descended from one man and one woman (Acts 17:26; 1 Corinthians 15:45; Genesis 3:20).  Some nineteenth-century biologists argued that different races descended from lower animals, but today genetics has verified that there is only one human race.

The Bible claims that God created animals “after their kind.”  Nineteenth-century biologists argued that animals evolved from other, very different animals, but today biology confirms that creatures reproduce within their own kind. 

The Bible claims that God destroyed the earth and the creatures inhabiting it in the worldwide Flood.  Nineteenth-century geologists argued that rock layers and the fossils found in them were formed as sediments were deposited slowly, but today geology confirms that many rock layers were deposited catastrophically, burying fossils within only minutes or hours.

So if the Bible wins hands down in every earthly thing we can test, why don’t people trust what it says?  The issue is not the truth of Scripture, but vain reasoning and “wilful ignorance” (Romans 1:21; 2 Peter 3:5).

• Haha 1

Why do some people reject Jesus Christ as their savior?  

1) Some people do not think they need a savior. These people consider themselves to be “basically good” and do not realize that they, like all people, are sinners who cannot come to God on their own terms. But Jesus said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6). Those who reject Christ will not be able to stand before God and successfully plead their own case on their own merits.

2) The fear of social rejection or persecution deters some people from receiving Christ as Savior. The unbelievers in (John 12:42-43) would not confess Christ because they were more concerned with their status among their peers than doing God’s will. These were the Pharisees whose love of position and the esteem of others blinded them, “for they loved the approval of men rather than the approval of God.”

3) For some people, the things that the present world has to offer are more appealing than eternal things. We read the story of such a man in (Matthew 19:16-23). This man was not willing to lose his earthly possessions in order to gain an eternal relationship with Jesus (see also 2 Corinthians 4:16-18).

4) Many people are simply resisting the Holy Spirit’s attempts to draw them to faith in Christ. Stephen, a leader in the early church, told those who were about to murder him, “You stiff-necked people, with uncircumcised hearts and ears! You are just like your fathers: You always resist the Holy Spirit!” (Acts 7:51). The apostle Paul made a similar statement to a group of gospel rejecters in (Acts 28:23-27).

Whatever the reasons why people reject Jesus Christ, their rejection has disastrous eternal consequences. “There is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved” than the name of Jesus (Acts 4:12), and those who reject Him, for whatever reason, face an eternity in the “outer darkness” of hell where there will be “weeping and gnashing of teeth” (Matthew 25:30).

• Haha 1

Still going i see,i dont post many threads but boy i never thought this one would keep going, great to see that so many really believe in "God" and that Jesus was his son.
But then other faiths believe their versions just as strongly i suppose,some will even kill you if you disagree with their version.
Still i believe when you die its just back to the soil and thats it ,or are some neanderthal men sitting up there with Jesus?

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app