Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

So, why do you think you were spared when millions actually got a bullet/IED that killed them?

Some are always spared, while others taken. IMO wars were natures way of population control. Since real wars became too dangerous ( atomic bombs ) to have any more, the population has become too great and another way is being found by Gaia- climate change or antibiotic resistant drugs perhaps? 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Some are always spared, while others taken. IMO wars were natures way of population control. Since real wars became too dangerous ( atomic bombs ) to have any more, the population has become too great and another way is being found by Gaia- climate change or antibiotic resistant drugs perhaps? 

News to me that there are no more wars, nothing like WW1 and 2, but there is always plenty of conflict going on. As far as who is spared and who is taken, that's purely random, no higher power picking and choosing there.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 11:11 PM, ivor bigun said:

Wow,that is the sadest thing i have heard on this thread, your poor old life must be so sad, i would hate to have to go through life feeling like you must, yes i fancy my wife but its not lust its far far deeper than that ,and even if we could never make love again i would still love her more than life.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes it is sad. Everyone wants to be loved ( and to love another ), but I wasn't lucky enough/ didn't meet the right woman etc etc etc. Actually I did meet the right woman/ women, but they were already married to some lucky bloke. Even when they got divorced/widowed I was too late and they'd married some other lucky bloke.

What is the saddest thing of all though, is loving someone, and having that person throw it away. I'd like to think my ex wife regrets what she did, but I'll never know, as I had to leave LOS after she took most of my money.

It's not an uncommon thing though- pop music is chock a block with sad songs about women/ men that did the singer wrong. 

BTW, it's probably not a good idea to listen to pop songs when one has gone through a bad divorce, for obvious reasons. Freddie Mercury singing "love will kill you every time" is a real downer.

10 minutes ago, giddyup said:

News to me that there are no more wars, nothing like WW1 and 2, but there is always plenty of conflict going on. As far as who is spared and who is taken, that's purely random, no higher power picking and choosing there.

Only conflicts now- make no difference to population. WW2 saw 20 million or so killed, and Stalin/ Mao killed that many at least in their internal conflicts. That set population growth back a bit.

I never said anything about selective sparing/ taking. It's just luck/ bad luck.

Why would "God" that made the universe, give a rat's bottom about who dies in a conflict on an insignificant planet in an insignificant solar system in an insignificant galaxy?

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Only conflicts now- make no difference to population. WW2 saw 20 million or so killed, and Stalin/ Mao killed that many at least in their internal conflicts. That set population growth back a bit.

I never said anything about selective sparing/ taking. It's just luck/ bad luck.

Why would "God" that made the universe, give a rat's bottom about who dies in a conflict on an insignificant planet in an insignificant solar system in an insignificant galaxy?

We must turn the other cheek, must forgive.....Something like that....Well "god" should practice what he preaches...????

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 1:42 AM, Skeptic7 said:

I don't make myself uncomfortable, but excel at making believers so. You think this is discomforting??? This is nothing. You should read me on the unmoderated sites! ????????

You ain't making me uncomfortable because you ain't said anything resembling proof that "god" does not exist.

Far as I'm concerned, Gaia is a pretty good "god", and her creation is wondrous to behold.

However, I'm sure you can explain how we ( life ), the planet, the solar system, the galaxy and the universe is all just an random accident that happened after all the material for the universe was created from nothing after the big bang.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, transam said:

We must turn the other cheek, must forgive.....Something like that....Well "god" should practice what he preaches...????

You are ascribing religious doctrine to "God" and they ain't the same thing. Religion is a man made construct.

The "god" of the old testament was about as bloodthirsty as it gets.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Religion is a man made construct.

they (at least the mosaic ones) are telling porky tales about a "god" that they want you to believe exists. 

If you cannot experience God - you don't now he/she exists.

No God is asking to be worshipped - the churches say so.

28 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

all the material for the universe was created from nothing after the big bang.

so the universe was made from nothing.

Could "nothing" be God? 

Nothing is empty space. Nothing is everywhere underlying the matter and forms. Nothing is in everybody. Can "nothing" talk? Can "nothing" imagine? Where do thoughts come from? Consciousness? There is no proof they come from matter (btw. the brain is matter)

Just now, sweatalot said:

they (at least the mosaic ones) are telling porky tales about a "god" that they want you to believe exists. 

If you cannot experience God - you don't now he/she exists.

No God is asking to be worshipped - the churches say so.

so the universe was made from nothing.

Could "nothing" be God? 

Nothing is empty space. Nothing is everywhere underlying the matter and forms. Nothing is in everybody. Can "nothing" talk? Can "nothing" imagine? Where do thoughts come from? Consciousness? There is no proof they come from matter (btw. the brain is matter)

I am being sarcastic when I say the universe was created from nothing.

Atheists apparently believe that to be so, as in their opinion there is no creator, and no intelligent design. It's apparently all just random groupings of electrons etc. 

• Confused 2

Suffering is the result of human sin.  The world is not the way that God created it, and because of that, all are vulnerable to the effects of sin in the world.  Why does one person suffer and another does not?  Why do catastrophes happen to some and not to others?  It is because sin is in the world.  But there will come a day when the Lord will return and cleanse this world of all sin and all suffering.

"And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away," (Rev. 21:4).

7 hours ago, jimmyyy said:

Yes i believe there is a higher power.  Why, the bullet missed my heart.  The IED did not kill me, i could go on for days, i have seen miracles happen with my own eyes. 

Share your best one. The most convincing one and I'm sure it will seem very natural and mundane to us and totally explainable and not a miracle at all. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jimmyyy said:

Won't be doing that, perhaps it was the children that i had after the war, perhaps one of them will have a go at curing something, perhaps they influence someone that does something great.  Perhaps there children do something great.  I just leave it to god, i don't control such things.  

Perhaps not. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I am being sarcastic when I say the universe was created from nothing.

Atheists apparently believe that to be so, as in their opinion there is no creator, and no intelligent design. It's apparently all just random groupings of electrons etc. 

Given the number of times this has been explained it could well be fair to say you are being disingenuous but it is possible you have missed the numerous posts so I shall go with that.

Atheism is, by definition, a response to a claim rather than a claim itself so saying atheists (apparently) believe the one universe we can be sure of was both created and created from nothing, is imagined.. pulled out of thin air.. made up. Rather than dig up an example from the thread where I try to simplify using real world situations, I'll keep it simple or short.

Person #1 - x is true - claim

Person #2 - I don't believe you - response to said claim

Knowingly adding any inference to this basic logic is dishonest.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, notmyself said:

Given the number of times this has been explained it could well be fair to say you are being disingenuous but it is possible you have missed the numerous posts so I shall go with that.

Atheism is, by definition, a response to a claim rather than a claim itself so saying atheists (apparently) believe the one universe we can be sure of was both created and created from nothing, is imagined.. pulled out of thin air.. made up. Rather than dig up an example from the thread where I try to simplify using real world situations, I'll keep it simple or short.

Person #1 - x is true - claim

Person #2 - I don't believe you - response to said claim

Knowingly adding any inference to this basic logic is dishonest.

Related to this.... By shifting the burden of proof (it's not been proven false) it necessitates believing in 2 (or more) things that directly contradict each other so in the jar analogy it would have to contain both an even and odd number of jellybeans.

2.jpg.47a6994cae288d18b1fa3befc69025d5.jpg

8 hours ago, sweatalot said:

Empty space is something, it contains the geodesics of spacetime.

This spacetime can be curved or distorted which gives the effects of 'gravity' and 'time dilation' which was briefly mentioned earlier.  

• Like 1

So I've been straight up in that my interest in the subject is mostly focused on the psychological aspect  The other day a friend said in passing that religion was a hobby of mine which it true. The same could be said of others who take it seriously... some perhaps too seriously. A hobby gone bad. I dunno.. I've always considered it a toy myself but perhaps she is right.

On 6/17/2019 at 8:46 AM, skippybangkok said:

Visited my boys daily in the special care room with incubators when they were born, fortunately they did ok

But saw a 800 gram child with a gazillion hoses sticking out of him struggling for his little life.

What god who is all powerful would punish a little innocent child like this ?

If does exist, then maybe better to be with Satan cause God is in no moral high ground

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Quite.  Although I can think of far more horrendous examples to explain why I've always said that if (when I die), I get a horrendous shock and discover that there is an actual god - I would spit in 'his' eye.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, skippybangkok said:

Had some bible bashes at my door way back and had this discussion. Their answer god is testing man kind. Well after a few thousand years of a failed trial you would think he would call it quits

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Know what you mean.  I was told that satan challenged god and as a consequence it turned into a bet as to who would win.....

• Like 1

On 6/17/2019 at 11:27 AM, CMNightRider said:

There is no evidence that Matthew and Mark ‘copied’ from a written copy of Mark at all, they all wrote down what had been passed on via oral tradition and in some cases the information they collected from various sources was identical due to the accuracy in retelling.

Surely God dictated the Gospels, just as She did the Old Testament?

• Haha 1

On 6/17/2019 at 4:07 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

That only applies if one is either dying or convinced that one is going to die, imminently. That doesn't prove anything other than "god" isn't going to actually save anyone from death. Why would god do so when almost every species on the planet lives by devouring other species?

And why when something truly horrible has happened do people "pray" for the survivors and their families. God didn't prevent the event but She's going to provide balm, solace and succour for the survivors?

Edited by ThaiBunny

3 hours ago, skippybangkok said:

Had some bible bashes at my door way back and had this discussion. Their answer god is testing man kind. Well after a few thousand years of a failed trial you would think he would call it quits

I always suggest that one of them reads from the Bible while the other one gives me a head job. They don't stick around

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you watch this series and still don't question the validity of the bible you don't need to take drugs, your already delusional.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment/rf-watch-online/tv-shows/biblical-mysteries-explained

And if you try an debunk this show, you would still have to follow the up what is stated and this would only led to more facts and questions. If you say you don't need watch this because you know what you believe in without questioning and learn every thing about your belief and its originality then your delusional.

The fact that the Great B was a prince who deserted his young wife and child on the night of his birth, is such a great role model to many Asian countries defies my logical thinking.