Phuket ‘Seasteaders’ told to pack up and go home

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Navy files report against ‘seasteading’ structure off Phuket

While they are at it, they should file a report against Plastic Gyres floating in a beyond the 12 nautical mile limit of Thailand and remove them as well. 

10 hours ago, impulse said:

I'll give the structural integrity 5 minutes from the start of the first good squall that blows through.

We had 5000 ton oil rigs with platforms sitting 50' off the sea surface, and we would shut them in and evacuate the crew once or twice a year.  And that was on the Gulf of Thailand side...

Telling them to go home is actually doing them a favor- perhaps saving their lives.

I love the concept of an independent offshore state (as in Pirate Radio).  But nobody should die to set one up.

Edit:  BTW, love the contrast between the brochure and the reality...

Prison collapse will come in just about 12 weeks before the entire Cell collapses. 

I first thought they got chased out of the palace and a rich Thai will take over for free,

but then I have read your words 'brochure and reality'  and got doubts that ANYONE wants that Cell..

'slightly different' LOL

4 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I support the concept of sea cities as something that could provide answers to over population on land.

Sea "gated communities".

An "answer" for the wealthy minority.

A terrestrial version of the concept critiqued in the film "Elysium".

4 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I support the concept of sea cities as something that could provide answers to over population on land.

Is the land really over populated or is this just an excuse for high land prices & properties in cities, the "rich" herd us together while they live a little differently to the unwashed masses! We only use about 1% of the landmass for human habitation, if we were to live offshore food stuffs would have to be shipped out which would be both ecologically and financially a disaster.

I would love to be a pirate if this catches on , they are like sitting ducks. At least they need to arm themselves , no police to call out there.   

11 hours ago, Pravda said:

Oh dear, watching their youtube episodes they are crypto freaks.

Bitcoin at $100,000 yet?

Not just crypto freaks, but self-owning individuals who are struggling to escape the tax-paying cattle complex

11 hours ago, Old Croc said:

But, to try it out on the xenophobic Thais turf (or waters!) was always going to be a losing battle.

How about birth control. Far more effective.

3 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Why go into great depths filing reports - let the Thai Navy use it as a torpedo target for their Chinese submarines!!

If the seasteaders don't close the blinds at night, the navy will probably see the chink in the curtains.

It's just nonsense , if you read his FB page he is claiming his life is in danger , complete BS. 

All he has to do is to report to the police , and he will get deported out of the country in a hurry . Everyone want him to leave , yes maybe he will get a heavy fine. 

49 minutes ago, balo said:

It's just nonsense , if you read his FB page he is claiming his life is in danger , complete BS. 

All he has to do is to report to the police , and he will get deported out of the country in a hurry . Everyone want him to leave , yes maybe he will get a heavy fine. 

The Navy has charged him with offenses that carry life in prison or the death penalty.  Would you take that chance?

The way the offenses are reported in the media, it's not up to the death penalty of life imprisonment.  Those are the only 2 options mentioned.

Given that the guy obviously has access to a boat, I'd take my chances with Malaysian immigration before I'd report to any Thai authorities.

It (Seasteading) is an interesting idea but looks like he really freaked out the Thai authorities with this idea. A big problem he over-looked is that there are so many pirates and outlaws running around the lawless oceans near and far from shore, that they would eventually turn up and what would follow would be unpleasant ... unless you had some assault rifles with plenty of ammo and few RPGs. That isn't going to fly before we even start to talk about decent storms and swells.

Archived