Italian expat involved in Phuket boat collision that leaves local fisherman, 74, with serious injuries

webfact

Italian expat involved in Phuket boat collision that leaves local fisherman, 74, with serious injuries

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1555223562_1-org.jpg

The 74-year-old man, San Mali, from Rawai, was rushed ashore this morning (Apr 14). Photo: Eakkapoop Thongtub

PHUKET: An Italian expat is now under investigation after injuries from a boat collision with a longtail boat off Koh Bon, off Phuket’s southeast coast, this morning (Apr 14) left a 74-year-old fishermen in serious condition.

The Phuket Tourist Rescue Centre was notified of the incident at 10:30am.

The fisherman, 74-year-old Rawai resident San Mali, was brought to Chalong Pier, where an ambulance was waiting to rush him to the Accident & Emergency Centre at the yet-to-open Chalong Hospital.

Source: https://www.thephuketnews.com/italian-expat-involved-in-phuket-boat-collision-that-leaves-local-fisherman-74-with-serious-injuries-71101.php#iskssl7TsMvod9Cz.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-04-15

Report filed against Italian expat following Phuket boat collision

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

S__4415496.jpg

Relatives of a seriously injured fisherman have filed a report with the Chalong Police relating to an Italian expat who was allegedly helming a boat that collided with a long-tail fishing boat yesterday off Rawai, Phuket.

Emergency responders were notified of the accident near Koh Bon off Rawai at 10am yesterday.

The injured fisherman is 45 year old San Malee, who sustained injuries during the incident and was taken to Chalong Hospital and later transferred to Vachira Phuket Hospital.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/report-filed-against-italian-expat-following-phuket-boat-collision

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-04-15

If these are the boats in question then it depends who was on what side of the other boat, as to who gives way.

i.e.

a boat approaching from your starboard side has right of way.

if under sail The rules are universal and still apply.

if a boat is not underway either by sail or motor then the rule still applies, but given the boat underway/ under some form of power other than drift has inherently more control it is usually assumed they are to take steps to avoid the drifting vessel.

like the road all driver/steerers of boats must take all precaution to avoid collision.

if adrift then this vessel skipper should be signalling to other vessels before possible collision takes place I.e. drifting into moored vessels, wVe like hell n yell or use radio too.

excessive speed, of course, when  contradicting local or national waterway laws can affect application of such starboard and port side approach rules e.g. a jet ski loosing control and plowing into a boat behaving in a sensible manner and on a sensible course would get busted for it.

so says an old salty sea dog.

18 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

If these are the boats in question then it depends who was on what side of the other boat, as to who gives way.

i.e.

if a boat is not underway either by sail or motor then the rule still applies, but given the boat underway/ under some form of power other than drift has inherently more control it is usually assumed they are to take steps to avoid the drifting vessel.

like the road all driver/steerers of boats must take all precaution to avoid collision.

if adrift then this vessel skipper should be signalling to other vessels before possible collision takes place I.e. drifting into moored vessels, wVe like hell n yell or use radio too.

excessive speed, of course, when  contradicting local or national waterway laws can affect application of such starboard and port side approach rules e.g. a jet ski loosing control and plowing into a boat behaving in a sensible manner and on a sensible course would get busted for it.

All true, but, if a collision looks likely, it is incumbent on all parties to take action to avoid the collision.

Another salty sea-dog.

3 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

My apologies Thaiger (if you are right).

I am right that the first report was from Phuket News. His age though, could be 74, 45 and I would not be surprised if it was something else as well.

I have noticed that Phuket News is faster with reporting the news, but doesn't always get the details correct.

Tropposurfer and Joe McSeismic, your application of salty sea dog rules appear correct.  It also appears the long tail boat was struck on the port (left) side near the rudder; which would suggest the fisherman had right of way.

However, unless the engine was knocked off in the collision, the long tailed boat was powered by oars and there is no way he could have caused a collision in the first place.  Either the speedboat didn't see him (it looks like a clear day), wasn't watching; or was trying to pass close astern to bounce him around.

1 hour ago, Tropposurfer said:

i.e.

The damages on the Stb side of the Longboat tells where the Italian came from.

According to the international Maritime Law the Italo was right but blind as a mole.. 

Even not seen, the Longboat are so loud with their one piston engine that you hear them for miles. 

16 minutes ago, See Will said:

According to the international Maritime Law the Italo was right but blind as a mole.. 

Even not seen, the Longboat are so loud with their one piston engine that you hear them for miles. 

As pointed out earlier, looks like the longtail boat had no tail but was powered by oars.

1 hour ago, See Will said:

I think that if you look at the picture it was, as previously described, in fact the port side.

4 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

i.e.

Looks like the fishing boat was a stand-up rowboat. The vessel under power should have avoided him in my opinion.

13 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Did it happen at night? If so, did each boat have navigation lights?

I like to inspect the boats on the chao praya river in BKK from the terrace of restaurants and noticed that maybe half of the boats have lights.....the small boats have nothing at all.....

Archived