Retirement Visa Question

I would like to head over from US in the next couple of weeks and ultimately stay on a retirement visa.  I have not yet transferred money into a Thai bank so what is my best route with the 60 day on deposit requirement?  Get a tourists Visa and stay there on Tourist Visa until money has been in account 60 days or what other options other than staying in the US for another 60 until money has been on deposit 60 days?  Thanks.

• Like 1

You will have time to open a bank account since the 2 months in the bank is not needed until you apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement.

The first step after opening a bank account and transfering in the 800k baht is to apply for a change of visa status to get for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration. At that time the 800k baht will only be in the bank on the date you apply.

General requirements are here. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

The during the last 30 or 45 days (at some offices) of the 90 day entry you can apply for the extension of stay.

• Thanks 1

Like others have said get your visa from a Thai Embassy in the US.  You don't need money in a Thai bank for this.  You will need a few things though and they have to be notarized.  A medical certificate from a doctor.  A Police clearance.   And a letter from your bank showing your balance, with statements showing your balance too.  The letter and the statement need to match dollar amounts.  You can get all the info on the Thai Embassy website.

If approved you will get a multiple entry visa.  Once you enter Thailand your visa is good for 1 year.  If you leave and reenter Thailand just before it expires you will get another year(without having to do all the qualification stuff.)  After that you then have to have either the monthly deposit to a Thai account or the 800,000 baht in a bank account for at least 60 days before you apply for your extension.

Good luck.

• Like 1

OP

i got an OA from USA and my only complaint was my doctor refused to sign the Thai medical certificate. I had been to the same doctor for over 20 years. I knew a couple of doctors and both of them refused to sign the medical certificate. They basically were afraid of signing it because the questions were strange in their opinion.  

After calling around I found a clinic that would sign it for 285 dollars. I had a medical certificate signed in Bangkok for 100 baht but the Washington DC embassy would not accept the Thai medical certificate and said I had to get a USA doctor sign my medical certificate.  

If I had to to do over I would do it the way Udon Joe explained. The 800 k of Thai baht in a Thai bank does not bother me and provides a safety net of cash over here. 

Choose what best suits you. Two ways to get to the same goal. 

• Like 1

Like others have said get your visa from a Thai Embassy in the US.  You don't need money in a Thai bank for this.  You will need a few things though and they have to be notarized.  A medical certificate from a doctor.  A Police clearance.   And a letter from your bank showing your balance, with statements showing your balance too.  The letter and the statement need to match dollar amounts.  You can get all the info on the Thai Embassy website.

If approved you will get a multiple entry visa.  Once you enter Thailand your visa is good for 1 year.  If you leave and reenter Thailand just before it expires you will get another year(without having to do all the qualification stuff.)  After that you then have to have either the monthly deposit to a Thai account or the 800,000 baht in a bank account for at least 60 days before you apply for your extension.

Good luck.
Or... Return to the country of residence and repeat. Correct?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Wake Up said:

i got an OA from USA and my only complaint was my doctor refused to sign the Thai medical certificate. I had been to the same doctor for over 20 years. I knew a couple of doctors and both of them refused to sign the medical certificate. They basically were afraid of signing it because the questions were strange in their opinion.  

It has been suggested that people in the US go to an immigration doctor. 

Explain to the doctor that you are an American (perhaps show your passport) that wants to leave the US, not stay.  I'd probably start with a doctor in the seediest part of town.

1 hour ago, Wake Up said:

OP

After calling around I found a clinic that would sign it for 285 dollars. I had a medical certificate signed in Bangkok for 100 baht but the Washington DC embassy would not accept the Thai medical certificate and said I had to get a USA doctor sign my medical certificate.  

If I had to to do over I would do it the way Udon Joe explained. The 800 k of Thai baht in a Thai bank does not bother me and provides a safety net of cash over here.  

Choose what best suits you. Two ways to get to the same goal. 

I got mine in DC at a travel medical clinic for 55 USD....no need to do things the hard way...way better to come with O-A..     www.washingtontravelclinic.com

You can come on a TV, but you may need to show an onward ticket.  With the two years you get on an O-A..there is a good chance you will get a 3-6% better exchange.

Edited by moontang

It has been suggested that people in the US go to an immigration doctor. 
Explain to the doctor that you are an American (perhaps show your passport) that wants to leave the US, not stay.  I'd probably start with a doctor in the seediest part of town.
Correct. I did exactly the same. Make sure you call it a physical and no blood test is required. If you have an insurance, your insurance will pay.

Another option is to go to Penang and get an ME O based on your money in the US or SS and pension income.

Sent from my JKM-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app