Water situation worrying

webfact

29 minutes ago, Snow Leopard said:

So what is the solution then? 

Is there a solution, look at history where civilisations have disappeared, who is to say we will be any different, too many people in too small an area, growing crops that the land cannot sustain, destroying flood plains and forests, we hardly work with the land, or do you see it different.

4 minutes ago, CGW said:

Is there a solution, look at history where civilisations have disappeared, who is to say we will be any different, too many people in too small an area, growing crops that the land cannot sustain, destroying flood plains and forests, we hardly work with the land, or do you see it different.

Agree with you. The whole world is over populated and unfortunately neither governments or science will find a solution. Nature will and it be bad.

4 hours ago, toenail said:

...ok, I will be the old Scrooge. When the water reservoirs are going low & there is this awareness before Songkron- why have 3+ days of wasting water? Limit it to one day in the big cities. 

Mr E Scrooge

Do you really believe the amount of water used at Songkran makes any difference? look at the reservoir levels - there's no difference to normal consumption, a lot of the water thrown ends up on the land anyway, the reservoirs would lose more on a hot day in dissipation. 

At the end of the day Its all recycled anyway, there are no "new" water supplies forthcoming. ????

To "fund" the Songkran water madness how would you feel if the Thais imposed a water restriction on Farang, no swimming pools, no car washing, no garden watering, maybe you would be as outraged as they are at your suggestion they curtail their usage ???? 

Mr E Scrooge

Do you really believe the amount of water used at Songkran makes any difference? look at the reservoir levels - there's no difference to normal consumption, a lot of the water thrown ends up on the land anyway, the reservoirs would lose more on a hot day in dissipation. 

At the end of the day Its all recycled anyway, there are no "new" water supplies forthcoming. [emoji106]

To "fund" the Songkran water madness how would you feel if the Thais imposed a water restriction on Farang, no swimming pools, no car washing, no garden watering, maybe you would be as outraged as they are at your suggestion they curtail their usage [emoji846] 

Thais don’t have pools / don’t water their gardens / don’t wash their cars ??

News to me but whatever you say buttercup.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

19 minutes ago, CGW said:

Mr E Scrooge

At the end of the day Its all recycled anyway, there are no "new" water supplies forthcoming. ????

To "fund" the Songkran water madness how would you feel if the Thais imposed a water restriction on Farang, no swimming pools, no car washing, no garden watering, maybe you would be as outraged as they are at your suggestion they curtail their usage ???? 

Songkran just re-enforces the belief that you can leave leaky taps/faucets leaking and ignore all other situations that waste water.

1 hour ago, CGW said:

I think that the solution to the problem that affects the whole world currently might be closer to happening than we actually think. The total financial collapse of the world's economy due to the debt burden. Caused by Banks, Corporate Greed and Governments. Then after we finish shooting all the greedy bastards that caused it we will be able to address the issues facing the world. 

19 minutes ago, Snow Leopard said:

I think that the solution to the problem that affects the whole world currently might be closer to happening than we actually think. The total financial collapse of the world's economy due to the debt burden. Caused by Banks, Corporate Greed and Governments. Then after we finish shooting all the greedy bastards that caused it we will be able to address the issues facing the world. 

Pretty much my own thoughts, we have taken a wrong turn led by the wrong "people" trying to justify the mess we have is impossible.... :shock1:

9 minutes ago, CGW said:

Pretty much my own thoughts, we have taken a wrong turn led by the wrong "people" trying to justify the mess we have is impossible.... :shock1:

Correct. In 2008 they kicked the can down the road.

Wall St or the City can bail out a hedge fund.

The Central banks can bail out Wall St or the City.

Who is going to bail out the Central banks? 

It's not only the US. The worlds debt burden is huge and lets not even start on derivatives. It's closer than we think. 

6 hours ago, khwaibah said:

Keep building those high speed trains for the elite.????

14 grams per passenger kilometer for trains..... versus 285 per passenger kilometer for commercial aircraft. the first and easiest baby step will be air travel, not trains.  carbon.  with a 15 year latency to it’s full on climate effect, some of which persists for more than 100 years.  if you are going to crap on something... start with air travel.

7 hours ago, nickstav said:

The amount of water wasted during Songkran is only a drop in the bucket (pun intended). Year round conservation is necessary...not gonna happen.

But its a start.

I see hoses  constantly running all day so they can assault some poor passer by. 

It would make a small difference. Every little bit helps 

8 hours ago, JaiLai said:

It’s just as well they’re not wasting water on a stupid event....... erm hold on - yes they are!

It takes 2000 liters of water to raise a kilogram of rice.  That's enough to keep my entire neighborhood of kids entertained through the whole Songkran holiday. 

So I forgo one bowl of rice to let the kids be kids.

Lots of good safety and sanity reasons to modify some of the Songkran abuses.  Conserving water isn't one of them.

Do what they do in the UK if farmers want to extract water from a public source, ie dams rivers etc, you must have an extraction licence, use local government officials to check that the law is being enforced.

It would control a lot of water usage, especially flood irrigation methods that are not efficient and use a lot of water  

2 minutes ago, wisperone said:

The article has to be Fake News. Wasn't it about a month ago, the water commissioner or whoever said don't worry, there will be plenty of water. Be Happy.

I remember a "plenty of water" article not longer than 1 week ago.

Rains forecast to come late and to be lite. Things may scrape by this year but next year could be terrible. It's time the Thai government brought in foreign water management consultants to come up with a plan to improve water retainment during the rainy season, especially during heavy rain flood years. With so much rain there is no reason to go through the dry season with drought.  

23 minutes ago, Ulic said:

Rains forecast to come late and to be lite. Things may scrape by this year but next year could be terrible. It's time the Thai government brought in foreign water management consultants to come up with a plan to improve water retainment during the rainy season, especially during heavy rain flood years. With so much rain there is no reason to go through the dry season with drought.  

Dutch offered and tried countless times already, Thais say to know better.

1 hour ago, tabarin said:

Dutch offered and tried countless times already, Thais say to know better.

I'm always amazed at the people who think that experts from a developed economy, in the Great White (and fricking cold) North, wrestling with the problems of sea water encroachment, are also experts in agricultural irrigation in the tropics, where the per capita GDP is less than 1/5 of what it is "back home". 

Not to mention that it wasn't "the Dutch".  It was corporations, offering services for a fee.  A big, fat western fee.

Archived