I am retired and never had an overnight stay in hospital – any one else here the same .

MrScratch

I hope this topic will be ok here :wai:

As some one who is in their 70’s I’m an avid reader of this Health and Medicine topic and have learnt many things here.

Some of the advice , answers and suggestions seem to be related to the forum members who are retired and have personally experienced medical issues and problems . One area that interests me is about the number of forum members that are retired and are possibly over the age of 50 , and just how many have got to that stage in their life and never needed medical attention or surgery requiring an over night hospital stay .

The reason I’m asking about this is due to the fact that I’m 70 years old and so far Ive never ever required medical attention requiring an overnight hospital stay . Yes over the years Ive needed short term medical treatment for a various range of minor issues , but I have never required an over night hospital stay or continuing long term medical attention.

I have no real answer as to why it seems I have so far been lucky , in my younger working years before retiring to Thailand I never really paid to much attention to my diet or did any exercising

and generally I was over weight . The only one positive health factor that springs to mind is the fact I have never smoked .

Once I started to read other forum members medical comments and experiences and Sheryl's excellent advice I started to change my diet and purchased a home treadmill machine to start to take my health more seriously.

I’m now wondering if there are any other forum members here that like myself have managed get to retirement age or beyond but never needed an overnight hospital stay or continuing long term medical treatment and if there are others here that seem to have been as lucky , what do you attribute your good fortune to.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am 63 never stayed overnight in a hospital. I stopped drinking soda poison in 1985 so I am healthy.

normal blood pressure, no diabetes, no cholesterol problems, no arthritis.  

don't smoke or drink. just got back from exercising. I have IBS which is clearing up and torn shoulder muscle but that is healing also.  

I am crazy. But that seems to be a plus. :clap2:

I suppose I have been almost as fortunate as the OP. Been working outside the UK for some 40 years in a number of 'interesting' locations and managed to avoid the need for a hospital stay in work locations.

However did have hemorrhagic dengue fever in Pattaya about 5/6 years back. That needed a hospital stay of about 4 nights and is the sum total of my overnight stays in hospital in my memory. That was covered by company insurance which is now not available to me. The insurers have made good money out of me over time and, on the basis that the good luck can't continue for ever, I now pay for decent insurance cover.

The few days that I did have in hospital reinforced my thinking that I have been lucky compared to many others. Why that should be I don't really know as I take minimal exercise and continue to eat food that can hardly be called healthy. But, now in my mid 60's, it doesn't seem to have done me too much harm - fingers crossed for the future.  

6 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

I am 63 never stayed overnight in a hospital. I stopped drinking soda poison in 1985 so I am healthy.

don't smoke or drink. just got back from exercising. I have IBS which is clearing up and torn shoulder muscle but that is healing also.  

I understand part of your cardiovascular exercise involves frequent meetings with ladies in Pattaya.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I have an overnight stay in hospital after a routine cystoscopy every six months. However, that's in Australia where it costs me nothing. Never in a Thai hospital.

So it sounds like you have never had to stay in hospital due to an illness or urgent medical situation

but only for routine checkups . How old are you now ?

2 hours ago, villagefarang said:

I broke a leg once in my 30s but other than that no hospital stays and no health issues.

So you broke a leg when you were in your 30s and after that no other hospital stays , how old are you now?

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

So 63 years old and never had an overnight hospital stays , may be being crazy does have a benefit ????

1 minute ago, MrScratch said:

So it sounds like you have never had to stay in hospital due to an illness or urgent medical situation

but only for routine checkups . How old are you now ?

75. The only stay in the emergency department of an Australian public hospital a couple of years ago was due to sludge in my bile duct. My son thought I was having a heart attack, very similar symptoms. 5 mg of endone fixed it.

1 hour ago, dabhand said:

I suppose I have been almost as fortunate as the OP. Been working outside the UK for some 40 years in a number of 'interesting' locations and managed to avoid the need for a hospital stay in work locations.

However did have hemorrhagic dengue fever in Pattaya about 5/6 years back. That needed a hospital stay of about 4 nights and is the sum total of my overnight stays in hospital in my memory. That was covered by company insurance which is now not available to me. The insurers have made good money out of me over time and, on the basis that the good luck can't continue for ever, I now pay for decent insurance cover.

The few days that I did have in hospital reinforced my thinking that I have been lucky compared to many others. Why that should be I don't really know as I take minimal exercise and continue to eat food that can hardly be called healthy. But, now in my mid 60's, it doesn't seem to have done me too much harm - fingers crossed for the future.  

40 years of working outside the UK and no overnight hospital stays sounds very good. You like myself seem to have being playing past Russian Roulette where health diet and exercise were concerned , and still no overnight hospital stays or current medical issues . Can it really be just good luck or could it be in some way genetic . I have my fingers firmly crossed ????

1 minute ago, MrScratch said:

40 years of working outside the UK and no overnight hospital stays sounds very good. You like myself seem to have being playing past Russian Roulette where health diet and exercise were concerned , and still no overnight hospital stays or current medical issues . Can it really be just good luck or could it be in some way genetic . I have my fingers firmly crossed ????

There's no doubt genetics have a great deal to do with longevity. Both my parents tried their best to kill themselves with tobacco and alcohol, and they both lived to 83.

Having said that, I could get hit by a bus tomorrow. Genes are irrelevant then.

43 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

There's no doubt genetics have a great deal to do with longevity. Both my parents tried their best to kill themselves with tobacco and alcohol, and they both lived to 83.

Having said that, I could get hit by a bus tomorrow. Genes are irrelevant then.

The hit by a bus tomorrow scenario does put things into prospective . Having both parents live until

83 even after the tobacco and alcohol abuse does make you wonder . Both my parents passed away due to cancer ( heavy smokers ) .

So you are 75 , I’m 70 and I seem to be constantly wondering / fretting about how long I may have left before I kick the bucket ????

6 minutes ago, MrScratch said:

The hit by a bus tomorrow scenario does put things into prospective . Having both parents live until

83 even after the tobacco and alcohol abuse does make you wonder . Both my parents passed away due to cancer ( heavy smokers ) .

So you are 75 , I’m 70 and I seem to be constantly wondering / fretting about how long I may have left before I kick the bucket ????

I've been in Thai hospitals 3 times.  2 heart and one stomach.  I used to worry about not doing things before I died.  Then I moved to Thailand and did everything I wanted to do for 20 years now I'm recuperating from doing everything I wanted to do.  It's nice to wake up in the morning.  My wife and dog are happy to see me. 

1 minute ago, colinneil said:

Well Mr Scratch consider yourself very lucky, now at 71 in the last 6 years i have clocked up almost 300 nights in hospital here.

So if the were awards for it, i would be a serious contender for first place.:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

You had your own blood pressure thingy....????...?

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Knowing you as we do would IBS be irritable bargirl syndrome ? 

I'm coming up on 65 and have never had an overnight stay in hospital as an adult. I apparently spent a week or so in hospital when I was around 3 years old with scarlet fever (severe streptococcal infection causing a bright red rash all over the body) but I don't fully remember it, so I don't know exactly how long I spent in there. I do remember that I was in some kind of isolation ward (my family could only look at me through a glass pane) and that I was really upset when they had to burn the marvellous wooden train set I'd been given while I was in there. That was apparently standard practice back then, as they weren't fully sure how such infections were spread.

I'm fairly sure there is a genetic component to health - my parents are both in their 90's now and only my mother has spent time in hospital and that was only while giving birth to myself and one of my brothers - we were both premature babies. So far (touch wood) neither of my parents has had to spend any time in hospital due to illness.

1 hour ago, MrScratch said:

I think it was The Shawshank Redemption where Red said " Get busy living, or get busy dying".

I'm fairly careful with mild exercise, food and alcohol intake. Haven't smoked since 1983. I enjoy riding my scooter here, and learning Thai. Both those help ward off Ahlzheimers. I still play competitive golf.

IMHO my Thai GF ( 23 years younger than me ) keeps me young. If I peg out with her on top of me, I'll have no regrets whatsoever.

It's pointless to fret about when you are going to die. When your number's up, it's up. Enjoy life until then, that's my philosophy.

1 hour ago, villagefarang said:

I will soon turn 65 and I have been living in Thailand since I was 23.

23 sound young to start living in Thailand , without prying to much I would love to know a bit more on how you came here at that age .

57 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I've been in Thai hospitals 3 times.  2 heart and one stomach.  I used to worry about not doing things before I died.  Then I moved to Thailand and did everything I wanted to do for 20 years now I'm recuperating from doing everything I wanted to do.  It's nice to wake up in the morning.  My wife and dog are happy to see me. 

I love your ‘’ It's nice to wake up in the morning. My wife and dog are happy to see me. ‘’

2 heart and one stomach sounds like a very stressful time , do you like me ever become

worked up thinking about how much time you may have left ????.   How old are you now ?

Archived