I am retired and never had an overnight stay in hospital – any one else here the same .

MrScratch

19 minutes ago, MrScratch said:

Ive been watching a TV series called My 600-Lb Life where people end up having weight loss surgery , the surgery is carried out using keyhole surgery ( minimally invasive surgery carried out through a very small incision, with special instruments and techniques including fiber optics. )

Just looking at your large but neat surgery scar , I instantly thought that if keyhole surgery were possible on you , then you would have only seen several small incision marks on your stomach.

Your thoughts about Aneurysms and the possibility of them being genetic only adds to my genetic list of things that could be affecting the same family . The ‘’ Had mine burst, I would have died in a couple minutes. ‘’ part is a real frightener :shock1:

I could have had "keyhole" surgery and had a stent put in, but mine was a wee bit crooked.  I told the Doc that I didn't want come back every 6 months to one year, so just rip me open and do it right.  No guarantees, but the Doc was good.

If anyone has doubts, just get an ultrasound exam thingie and see. Mine was found a couple years before and we watched it grow.  My insurance lapsed in the meantime but I got insurance just before it was critical.  Saved me about $300,000. or more in the USA. 

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

I could have had "keyhole" surgery and had a stent put in, but mine was a wee bit crooked.  I told the Doc that I didn't want come back every 6 months to one year, so just rip me open and do it right.  No guarantees, but the Doc was good.

If anyone has doubts, just get an ultrasound exam thingie and see. Mine was found a couple years before and we watched it grow.  My insurance lapsed in the meantime but I got insurance just before it was critical.  Saved me about $300,000. or more in the USA. 

The watch it grow comment sounds a little unsettling , getting insurance before it became critical , does that mean you had to declare the past problem ( a pre existing condition ) on the new insurance application form or was it some sort of state health insurance ?

16 minutes ago, MrScratch said:

The watch it grow comment sounds a little unsettling , getting insurance before it became critical , does that mean you had to declare the past problem ( a pre existing condition ) on the new insurance application form or was it some sort of state health insurance ?

We watched it grow for a couple years.  The "Obamacare" (Affordable Health Care Act) started just in time or I would be dead.  That or wipe out my savings to pay.  No problem with preconditions.  I think I was paying under $100 per month for a family of three for a policy that cost over $2,000 per month.  The deductible and co-pays were very low.  It cost me maybe $300 at the hospital. Prior to insurance, I was being given estimates over $100,000.

I was not expecting to see inside of a hospital myself, I live a healthy life, do not snmoke or drink , excercise daily after I hit 50,  but in my 40's I was diagnosed with testis cancer. So I needed to stay over for a couple of nights when they removed one of my balls.  This was stage 1 cancer so nothing serious.  

6 months later I had to do 10 days of radiation.  So that's it really , cancer can happen to anyone.  Hospitals are good when you need them.  But I hope it will be a long time to my next overnight visit.

My dad lived until 93 and was a heavy smoker. I hope I can reach 100.

Archived