I am retired and never had an overnight stay in hospital – any one else here the same .

MrScratch

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/15/2019 at 11:50 PM, Inn Between said:

I have to admit to being in only my 64th year of life, so not quite retirement age by NA standards, but not a bad run so far, thankfully. I was blessed with pretty good genetics, I guess, and I've never been drawn to a lot of unhealthy food like sweets and fatty/deep fried stuff. I have also used cannabis regularly for decades, and feel that has made a contribution to avoiding health issues or even having to take any prescription drugs. (I know I'll get slammed for that speculation by the "Reefer Madness" believers, but I don't care). For an older guy who was even stupid enough to have a light (10 per day) cigarette habit for over 40 years, I've been quite fortunate.

Life isn't always fair, of course. When I think about my health and then look back on the death of our neighbour's daughter at the age of 21, one has to wonder. The girl was a top collegiate athlete and never touched a drink or a cigarette in her life but died of cancer. The real tragedy was that the loss of her life also virtually killed her parent who both took to the bottle with the intention of drinking themselves into oblivion every night. 

its interesting that you mention genetics along with cannabis , those two areas are

some thing that makes me wonder , could they in some sort of way be a catalyst or

a positive benefit to a long life span , but then again like you say , life is not fair

as pointed out by the 21 year old passing away due to cancer.

Genetics , I wonder :thumbsup:

On 4/16/2019 at 1:42 AM, bikerlou47 said:

I am 71

Never been in the hospital

I do the obvious things, diet exercise limit my alcohol.

But I believe the main reason is GENETICS.

My paternal grandfather was 100 when he died.

My father is currently 100 and in very good health walks without assistance and still drives short distances.

71 , well that beats me :thumbsup:

I'm getting on in years, if your 70 then I'm next to you ....

I drink copious amounts of piss from daylight until dark or later when I pass out on the sofa .... or fall over.

I haven't eaten a decent meal in years but I haven't had to go to the doctor for 10yrs or more. Never been to hospital overnight thats for sure. Just enjoy and keep going :drunk:I've had 6 bottles already today ... im half pissed.

16 hours ago, CMoldie said:

Other than an operation for a squint when I was 10 (squint was treated much later then) I never had a hospital admission in my life.

Then I retired early and moved to Thailand permanently when I was 59. Within 3 months, following extreme weight loss accompanied by severe abdominal pain I got a first diagnosis of Crohn's disease (very rare for the first diagnosis that late in life.)

Then, about 10 months in, I got a very severe flare up which had me in hospital for the first time as an adult, 10 days being fed through a drip in my arm. That was over 2 years ago. I survived and am very well stabilised now.

In it's way it was quite reassuring. You go to a new country, you're bound to ask if you will really be able to cope if things go bad on you. At least I know the answer to that one.

Great to hear that you are now well stabilised , just out of curiosity , do you think that moving to a new country and all that entails ( anxiety / stress / worry / unknown future ) played a part in you being diagnosed with Crohn's disease .

14 hours ago, Spaniel said:

I will  be 75 in July and have never had to spend a night in a hospital.     Came here in 1967 and did a lot of drinking/whoring around but I stopped both when I married my Thai wife 30 years ago.    We live in Bangkok.   Staying healthy, a lot has to do with your lifestyle and a bit of luck.    I think exercise really  helps and I get out for two hours a day of brisk walking.

75 and never a night in a hospital , I think your at the top of the list now .:thumbsup:

How about Genetics , do you think it plays any part in the scheme of things

Just coming up to 70 still working cause I want to, only stayed in once for a prolapsed disc around 20 years ago, had a few bones fixed before and after.

Five kids oldest 50 youngest 8 so still procreating and feeling great.

16 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I'm getting on in years, if your 70 then I'm next to you ....

I drink copious amounts of piss from daylight until dark or later when I pass out on the sofa .... or fall over.

I haven't eaten a decent meal in years but I haven't had to go to the doctor for 10yrs or more. Never been to hospital overnight thats for sure. Just enjoy and keep going :drunk:I've had 6 bottles already today ... im half pissed.

I wish , I really wish I could throw caution to the wind and just Eat – Drink and be Merry and say to my self , look my train is nearly at the end of life’s track , so I’m just going to say bugger it and try to silence the little nagging voice in my head that lets me know , put down that heart attack inducing Burger and chips , tip that bottle of ice cold Chang down the sink , you know it makes sense , tuck into the low calorie salad and pour you self another diet coke , and get back on your home treadmill . I wish I could be like you ????

I am 69, lived here 30 years & never have needed overnight hospital treatment (touch wood)

but keep my inpatients medical insurance paid & up to date.

Hope I never have to use it (Also driven over 1 million kilometers without an accident, but have had to take plenty of evasive actions to avoid)

Never had a hospital stay due to illness in my entire life. In fact never had a serious illness at all.

An unblemished record blown by a stupid slip on a wet floor 3 years ago which landed me in hospital with a broken leg.

Now fully recovered and at 73 years young, feeling as fit as ever.

16 minutes ago, gwynt said:

Just coming up to 70 still working cause I want to, only stayed in once for a prolapsed disc around 20 years ago, had a few bones fixed before and after.

Five kids oldest 50 youngest 8 so still procreating and feeling great.

The rising number of forum members of an older age that have spent no nights in hospital or very few nights in hospital , in some way may be adding fuel to the debate about private health insurance / self insuring. Now still working at 70 I wonder if we stated a list of forum members over retirement age , and who are still actively working , I wonder if you would be at the top ????

4 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Never had a hospital stay due to illness in my entire life. In fact never had a serious illness at all.

An unblemished record blown by a stupid slip on a wet floor 3 years ago which landed me in hospital with a broken leg.

Now fully recovered and at 73 years young, feeling as fit as ever.

I though I would be in the minority when I started this topic , I was thinking that at 70 years old and never had an over night hospital stay or serious illness , I would be king of the list , how wrong I could be :shock1:

1 minute ago, MrScratch said:

I though I would be in the minority when I started this topic , I was thinking that at 70 years old and never had an over night hospital stay or serious illness , I would be king of the list , how wrong I could be :shock1:

1954 tonsils, 2001/2 knee and detached retina OP, 2018 and 2019 new eye lens op's...But this ol' guy lifts weights....????

Just now, transam said:

1954 tonsils, 2001/2 knee and detached retina OP, 2018 and 2019 new eye lens op's...But this ol' guy lifts weights....????

Come on Trans, lifting your beer glass cannot be classed as lifting weights.:cheesy:

18 minutes ago, MrScratch said:

The rising number of forum members of an older age that have spent no nights in hospital or very few nights in hospital , in some way may be adding fuel to the debate about private health insurance / self insuring.

I have pondered the same point, judging by the posts so far the insurance companies are making a killing, it's a business, same as the medical "profession" I never forget that! :wink:

Still think it is a good idea to get yourself reg to a Hospital....  in 2004 had pain had to go to the Hospital in the middle of the night, the only one I could think of and not to far was Bang Yai....  Burst Appendix had the Op as soon as the surgeon arrived at 04:00 had to stay 3 nights 76,000 baht + NOT a private room...  

Have stayed 2 nights at a much cheaper place in Bang Bua Thong in 2007, then arranged to get reg'd to a big Hospital..  The best Dr's and Med's at a good price was the Red Cross in BKK, early 2015 spent 5 nights there [Diabetic related] still go there 4x year [my 3 month Diabetic checks + Med's]....  Yes it is 60 km to get there, so not sure if it was an emergency.... Guess Bang Bua Thong as also Reg'd at that Hospital go there for anything small and minor.

Age 70 this year. + been Diabetic 35 years... 

I am 75 years young and the last hospital overnight visit was in America about 52 years ago with a cystoscopy operation resulting in my immediate focus on health from that time onwards.   

I woke up from a catheterization of my urethra and the cystoscopy and when I got up to go pee my salt in my urine embraced the urethral damage and scars and I screamed and started hitting my head against the wall for a more acceptable pain.   

I chose to be an investigative "health nut" afterwards and have never stopped to this day.  

Like you, I am 75 year old Australian, retired and living in Thailand over 5 years. Except for a regular colonoscopy day surgery and some miner scrapes, no overnight stays in hospital anywhere. I guess I am lucky but I have to say managing my health and known conditions eg diabetes 2 is my number one priority

Aged 66, not been an overnight patient at a hospital since i was 1 year old (measles, I think). Not on any regular medication, not a health fanatic, gave up smoking over 40 years ago and drink little alcohol. Have had a few day surgery investigations but nothing significant found. 

Negatives - lousy eyesight, bad back, RSI and (as the doctor put it when suffering shoulder problems 'just the usual age related degeneration' (bastard)) and some digestive issues, slightly elevated blood pressure. age expectancy - 85 (I hope). Good job I am retired, work is a challenge with all the above!

I hit 74 in January this year.  Never any overnight hospitalisation.  I keep hypertension and diabetes under control with some food supplements and careful eating (no white carbohydrate). Party'ed much too hard in my mid-thirties, but it is long ago and far away now. Never smoked in my life. Two grandparents made it to their 90's so I guess I may have inherited good genes.  I have also tried to manage stress, one positive aspect of that being that my wife left me six or seven years back, and I have no wish to replace her with a.n. other.

As to wondering about how much time I have left, yes, I do wonder, on occasion.  I try to tuck it into a recess in my mind, and just get on with every-day living.  It's a sad fact that the guy with the scythe will come along one day but I believe there's no way to avoid it altogether, and worrying about it will simply shorten what is left of my life! ????

Not sure what the agenda is for the question, but past medical history is not a fool proof way of forecasting future ailments , particularly as none of us are getting any younger. At 70 though that's a good innings without an overnight hospital stay. May health stay with you ????

Archived