"We'll give family one million baht" for death of Canadian tourist says owner

webfact

Don't be confused Thaiwrath......it's called reading the small print. Like, when people jump into pools where it says "no diving". Called negligence and so all cover is cancelled. In this case, if he weighed more than the weight limit and they let him on, they crossed the line, became negligent and all cover is cancelled. There are rues for the Insured and the Insurer. It just tends to be that the insured can't be bothered to read the rules and then whinges when a penalty is awarded against them. Hope this clarifies.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That amount is nothing. Im guessing with hospital fees and to fly body home will cost that. They should pay fir average earnings lost until 65.     2 or 3 million Canadian dollars. 1m baht.... thais would grab that. Jail the owners not wa wa wa get let off. In this country do nothing like that at all so called adventure sports. 

4 hours ago, connda said:

A little over 30k USD for blood money.  In the US the civil courts would award a couple of million USD and multiples more for punitive damages. 

That is why life here in Thailand is cheap. Facilities are cheap. Life is also cheap. That is the way it is. 

2 minutes ago, ericthai said:

To the avg thai it is allot, most Thais make less than $300 a month. 

Please... get over this ‘most Thai’s earn xxx (minimum wage) a month”... 

Its total BS... that’s why the factories & building sites are full of Burmese labourers... the Thai’s won’t work for that...

But even worse.. the deceased is not let Thai’s. He was engaging in a pursuit advertised towards foreigners.

Most of your hypothetical Thai’s earring $300 (B9,525) per month couldn’t afford the zip ride!

3 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Many Thai attractions charge non-Thais 10x what Thais pay.

So in like kind they should pay non-Thais 10x what they pay Thais for the accident.

Zip line company charges both Thai and foreigner the same price.

folks enjoy the money purchasing power... and cultural differences Thailand offers up, but if it is to compensate them for a risk they THEMSELVES quite consciously undertook.... suddenly all of that is off the table and western prices and western culture apply? I think most of us can see the message should be..... Thailand is Thailand. One million THB is a lot of money for normal Thai folk, and this is Thailand.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

"We'll give family one million baht" for death of Canadian tourist says owner

No you won't!

8 hours ago, webfact said:

He said there was insurance in place so that one million baht would go to the victim's family. 

You'll giving the family <deleted>!

Peanuts offered by the owner to the victims family aside, I really feel sorry for the victims girlfriend, they come here as a couple on an adventure, they are enjoying their day and then she has to deal with this, so sireel.

Reminds of a time I allowed my 12 year old daughter to go up on one of those parasailing shoots at Patong, not thinking about insurance or anything like that, then I hear not long after an Aussie plummets to his death, the operator had no insurance and was trading as usual not long after.

Insurance here is not compulsory for many things, just look at taxi's, zero cover, some have a maximum of about 60,000-100,000 baht if I am not mistaken.

It's hard enough trying to stay alive just on the roads on a daily basis.

RIP to young to die.

4 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Many Thai attractions charge non-Thais 10x what Thais pay.

So in like kind they should pay non-Thais 10x what they pay Thais for the accident.

That's probably what they're offering.  10x as much as they'd have offered a Thai victim's family.

34 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Please... get over this ‘most Thai’s earn xxx (minimum wage) a month”... 

Its total BS... that’s why the factories & building sites are full of Burmese labourers... the Thai’s won’t work for that..

Most of your hypothetical Thai’s earring $300 (B9,525) per month couldn’t afford the 

In the industrial factories it is mostly Thais.  The Burmese and Khmer do construction, farm work etc getting paid less than 300b a day. I've also had plenty of thai workers at our factory working when pay was only 150b a day.  Go around and check what Thais pay Thais.

2 minutes ago, ericthai said:

In the industrial factories it is mostly Thais.  The Burmese and Khmer do construction, farm work etc getting paid less than 300b a day. I've also had plenty of thai workers at our factory working when pay was only 150b a day.  Go around and check what Thais pay Thais.

My Wife’s family factory employs mostly Burmese on Minimum Wage because Thai’s wouldn’t work and when they did they were unreliable. 

On top of Minimum wage there is overtime, accommodation and (fairly basic) medical cover.

Minimum wage is for the new employees, rates increase over time for the more reliable and those who’ve been there for a long time.

It’s arguable but the minimum wages is 325 baht per day, 7,800b per month for 6 days at 9am to 5pm and over time for the 12 hour shifts which pretty much doubles the income.

Its about 15k plus’s per month - they all want to do overtime and are not really too happy in the months things are quieter. 

Thai’s wont work for this and hence my Wife’s family have to go through the trouble every year of getting the Burmese staff work-permitted and jumping through all the necessary hoops... 

Again... All irrelevant to the thread and we’ve been side tracked as this isn’t about the minimum wage its about how life is given a paltry price and what an insult that is to a family. 

This is Thailand, THB1,000,000 is the lottery. But pictures of the check being handed over to a grateful family on the front page of every paper in Thailand are a requirement or no check.  

A Thai citizen killed, the family would get THB 300,000. A Lao THB 50,000 to 100,000. A Myanmar citizen, the death penalty for some heinous unsolved crime looking for a perp, say on an island or something.

8 hours ago, Lacessit said:

It depends on the circumstances of family dependents. 1 million baht won't go far, less than a year's income in Canada. Much as I dislike lawyers, that's where I would be heading in their shoes.

I’m sure that if the accident happened in Canada, the payout would be in line with Canadian norms.... but as it happened in Thailand, the payout should be in accordance with thai norms.

that said, I remember a few years ago, a scrap metal guy used an oxy to cut up a mine... not surprisingly, it went bang... compensation for resultant deaths was around 15,000 baht per, if memory serves.... so 1 mill is huge

Of course they passed the inspection in March.  That would have cost them a great deal less than 1 million baht.

Not sure if anyone has had experience suing or being sued in Thailand.  It’s multiple years, multiple courts, multiple court appearances (from a distance) and then when the ruling goes in your favor there are still ways to dodge payment.  

If the family is bent bent on retribution (which they may not be) then the 1 million would more than cover that.

Archived