OA Visa question ?

THis  is for the experts. i m Us guy over 60 with a O a Visa acquired in Chicago. I have renewed this Visa for the past 4 years via the american embassy verification menthod. My question now is i will not qualify via the  800000 baht in bank but meet the 65000 monthly requirement. so if i go to usa would i be able to get a new OA Visa ince it expires 

You have not been renewing your long expired OA visa. You have been applying for a extension of stay based upon retirement at immigration.

If you could transfer in at least 65k baht for a few months before you apply you could use that to prove your income to apply for another extension. 

There would be no problem to apply for another OA long stay visa back in the US. You do not even need to wait for your current extension to expire since it would end as soon as you leave the country.

Yes langsuan man. I think it’s best to return to USA and get a new. OA VISA. I DONT QUALITY FOR THE 800000 BAHT ROUTE. I DO HOWEVER EASLIY MEET THE 65000 PER MONTH REQUIRMENT. JUST HOPE THE THAI CONSULATE IN CHICAGI WILL ISSUE A NEW ONE

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

2 hours ago, OP GUY said:

Yes langsuan man. I think it’s best to return to USA and get a new. OA VISA. I DONT QUALITY FOR THE 800000 BAHT ROUTE. I DO HOWEVER EASLIY MEET THE 65000 PER MONTH REQUIRMENT. JUST HOPE THE THAI CONSULATE IN CHICAGI WILL ISSUE A NEW ONE

Is there an income option to apply for a Non O-A visa? I have never heard of one. I though income method (and combination method) were only for extensions of stay.

3 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Is there an income option to apply for a Non O-A visa? I have never heard of one. I though income method (and combination method) were only for extensions of stay.

Yes there is.

" A copy of bank statement showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus a monthly income totalling not less than 800,000 Baht."

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O-A"-(Long-Stay).html

Hi OP Guy

I will be applying for an O-A at Chicago in a few months and have a question. One of the requirements on their site is "Proof Of Retirement".

I don't have a pension and am not yet receiving SS. Can I ask you what you use to satisfy this requirement? I will be doing my application by mail and want to make sure my application is complete and to their satisfaction so it doesn't get sent back!

Yes one can use the income method in the USA to obtain a Non-Immigrant O-A at a consulate (the ones that still do them) or the embassy in Washington DC.  Only need to show your US bank statements showing the income or letters from Social Security, Department of Defense, or some other recurring income that equals the monthly 65K... 

https://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-category-oa/

Edited by mosan
Add Embassy O-A Link

39 minutes ago, claynlr said:

Hi OP Guy

I will be applying for an O-A at Chicago in a few months and have a question. One of the requirements on their site is "Proof Of Retirement".

I don't have a pension and am not yet receiving SS. Can I ask you what you use to satisfy this requirement? I will be doing my application by mail and want to make sure my application is complete and to their satisfaction so it doesn't get sent back!

Hmm.

Interesting question.

Technically being literally retired isn't generally considered a requirement for an O-A visa. It's about being old enough and the money.

On your last IRS tax filing, did you put RETIRED under occupation on that form?

If so, if I were you, I would email Chicago and ask them if a copy of that would be "proof" enough.

They don't answer e-mails!....From the Thai Consulate Chicago web site:

VII. Retirement in Thailand (O-A visa), the applicant must be at least 50 years old and must submit documents as follows :

• documentation showing proof of retirement.
  • bank statement or monthly/year income.
  • a copy of the applicant’s criminal record from the local police department.
  • a certificate of health.
*These documents must be certified by a Notary Public and certify true signature of the notary public by the Secretary of State.

6 minutes ago, claynlr said:

I am from Arkansas and fall under Chicago's jurisdiction.

No Jingthing the tax filing doesn't have retired. I don't retire for 3 more months.

OK.

In that case, I would still email them and explain (if it's true) that you have stopped working, don't intend to work in Thailand, and understand working in Thailand is not allowed on an O-A visa, and that you have not started your social security pension yet. Then ask them -- so what will you require to prove retirement in this case?

They might tell you to leave the line blank or something like pension to be claimed later. Then you can include a copy of that correspondence with your application.

Or maybe they'll tell you to make a notarized statement of being retired.

Or hopefully someone has a better suggestion.

Just my thoughts. Good luck. 

OK, now you say they don't answer emails.

OK, if that's really true, see if you can draft an official looking letter saying your last day at your work was this date, you are retired and no longer working but you have not yet started your pension claim. Then get that notarized.
Pretty absurd but I predict if you send some B.S. like that in and everything else is in order, it would probably be OK. 

But I would still try to get an answer from them first. 

For me the 1st time at CHICAGO. THEY WANTED TO SEE RETIREMENT ENTERING MY BANK ACCOUNT AND THAT IT EQUALED OR SURPASSED 800,000 BAHT ANNUALLY AND 3 ORIGINAL APPLICATION FILLED OUT, otherwise they were low keyed. When I first went their 5 years ago I asked for a application then I sat down in the room. Then 10 mins later one of the Thais came out and st next to me and asked if I had any questions.

7 minutes ago, OP GUY said:

For me the 1st time at CHICAGO. THEY WANTED TO SEE RETIREMENT ENTERING MY BANK ACCOUNT AND THAT IT EQUALED OR SURPASSED 800,000 BAHT ANNUALLY AND 3 ORIGINAL APPLICATION FILLED OUT, otherwise they were low keyed. When I first went their 5 years ago I asked for a application then I sat down in the room. Then 10 mins later one of the Thais came out and st next to me and asked if I had any questions.

That was obviously an INCOME based application.

It would be different for a BANK BALANCE based application. 

6 minutes ago, OP GUY said:

This is also from their site. They only ask for 1 copy of application form. I know some of the other consulates ask for triple. I just an hoping I get it right the first time and they don't return it.

Visa

1. General requirements on application for visas:

If you need to apply for a VISA, below are the general requirements.

• Valid passport or other travel document  (not less than 6 months and it contains at least one blank visa page).
  • One visa application form (be duly filled in and signed by applicant). 
  • Two passport-sized (2"x 2") photographs are required (color, front view).
  • A copy of flight itinerary and the most recent bank statement for all applicants for visa.
  • Fee rate for each category of entry per person is collected, accordingly: Transit Visa $35.00, Tourist Visa $40.00, Non-Immigrant Visa $80.00, (one-year multiple-entry Non-Immigrant Visa: $200). Fee can be paid by Money Order or Cashier's check. (Personal check is not acceptable) Please make it payable to "Royal Thai Consulate-General, Chicago."
  • When submitting application by mail, a self-addressed envelope size 6"x9" or large enough to fit all passports with sufficient postage stamps is required. Metered stamps will not be accepted. Applicant may have their visa mailed by attaching a self-addressed envelope of Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation or Express Mail. (The Consulate will not be responsible for any lost, damage, delayed or misdirected mail.)
  • Letter of Recommendation and/or relavant documents are required for doing business in Thailand or when apply for any other categories of Non-Immigrant visa.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes there is.

" A copy of bank statement showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus a monthly income totalling not less than 800,000 Baht."

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O-A"-(Long-Stay).html

Do all 'at home' embassy/consulates issue an OA on the rules or make their own rules is an important part of the equation.

Edited by overherebc

Yes I understand I was just relaying my personal experience in Chicago my fee was 200USD and it was good 2 years and if you got one the requirements to extend your stay will require 800000 baht in a THAI BANK FIRV2 MONTHS PRIOR AND 3 MONTHS AFTER. AND MUST LEAVE 400,000 BAHT IN BANK UNTOUCHED

9 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Do all 'at home' embassy/consulates issue an OA on the rules or make their own rules is an important part of the equation.

The Thai Embassy and the 4 Thai consulates each have their own quirks as to what they require...some want papers notarized, some don't. Some want a different amount of copies of each document. The general requirements are the same I think.

I just sent another e-mail to the Chicago consulate. I will report if they answer!

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes there is.

Does the US embass(y) require any number of months that 65,000 baht had to exist, such as the last four months or whatever?  Or will they just accept that going forward you have shown some proof that 65,000 baht will be income in

5 hours ago, claynlr said:

Send your application to Washington DC embassy. They don't require any proof of retirement or notarized documents. Just find a friend in Washington DC jurisdiction and use his address. 

35 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

Send your application to Washington DC embassy. They don't require any proof of retirement or notarized documents. Just find a friend in Washington DC jurisdiction and use his address. 

You don't need any friends in DC or a DC address to apply for an O-A Visa there.  You don't have to worry about "jurisdiction" either.

I mailed my application for my Non Imm O-A from Hawaii (that would be Los Angeles' "jurisdiction") to the Thai EMbassy in DC and got it back a few weeks later (in Hawaii).  No "proof of retirement" is needed if applying there.

• Like 1