Pattaya party poopers! Cops call a halt to Beach Road Songkran fun at 8pm

webfact

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Perhaps you have not. 

In Pattaya and around Thailand it is often marred by violence as it is also a time when people drink from dawn to dusk  dawn. When I saw a gang of youths chasing a couple of others and administer a beating with sticks that looked like an ambulance would be needed, I decided it was not a place to be. Earlier years had been less worrying. It has been allowed to escalate to a level of insanity in Pattaya. This effort is a decade too late.

So one violent incident. Boys will be boys, concerts here often have a bit of biffo. Rival schools often get stuck in too. 

Same as when I was a kid. Boys fight each other because it is fun at that age. 

Nothing to worry about.

For the amount of grog that gets downed in Pattaya 352 days a year there is surprisingly little violence, and usually started by a farang.

I am not scared by this and feel safe during songkran. Always have, always enjoy it. 

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah, sure, I'll put my windows up on my baht bus. Why didn't I think of that before?!?????

Well if you take a baht bus through the worlds biggest water festival you probably should expect to get a little wet. 

If getting wet bothers you so much then take a taxi with windows.

2 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

Well if you take a baht bus through the worlds biggest water festival you probably should expect to get a little wet. 

I would agree with you if this so called "water festival" was limited to a reasonable number of days within a reasonable limit of hours. But it isn't.  

Just now, moe666 said:

Ah the good old days, when was that by chance. Some people forget the good old days are a figment of their imagination. Made my day first post I have seen on the good old days

So what? Did that go on for over a week, day and night? NO! 

2 hours ago, RobMuir said:

Why should he have to spend extra money to take a taxi, just because tourists like water-wars? If you like water so much, why not spend the day in the shower or a pool?

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah, I'm rude.

I'll leave you to swim in the grand Thai-ier than thou ocean.

Be careful -- the water is DIRTY.

I have  a pool.

The absurdly LONG scene in Pattaya isn't for Thais. It is the OPPOSITE of traditional.

You you have a lot to learn. Songkran isn’t about the farangs. On the main day Thais outnumber the farangs more than ten to one.

And despite you thinking it is a conspiracy against us songkran actually kicks on in places like baan Beung which have their wan lai day on the 21st. Nothing to do with tourism. 

It ain’t about you. You are over estimating your own importance.

It's to gin up tourism money. Period. End of. Look up in any international calendar for the official Thailand dates of Songkran. That's not Pattaya Songkran. Pattaya Songkran is FAKE, for money. 

?

Talk to actual local people here that aren't prostitutes or children, and they'll tell you they HATE it too.

Not from my experience. Every year my thai friends who are not hookers want to join me in the back of my pickup. I just got new speakers put in for this year. It is loud as, I have already downloaded the thai songkran mix, this year will be a big one.

It lasts WAY TOO LONG. It's disgusting that people going out well into the night need to worry about being attacked.

Assimilate to what in PATTAYA? Shall I buy a soapy massage house and exploit illegal foreign sex workers?  That would do it. 

Calm down fella. If all that bothers you I think you may have chosen the wrong place to live. 

3 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Why should he have to spend extra money to take a taxi, just because tourists like water-wars? If you like water so much, why not spend the day in the shower or a pool?

I just got out of it actually. Very warm today. 

Songkran is thai culture. You seem to be suggesting that millions of people stop celebrating this joyous and fun occasion with their friends and family so some tight farang can save a couple of dollars on a taxi.

And what about the thousands of vendors raking in the baht who would also be disadvantaged.

32 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

Calm down fella. If all that bothers you I think you may have chosen the wrong place to live. 

None of your business where I choose to live or not live. How arrogant! I've always hated "Songkran" in Pattaya. It is TOO LONG and that is a fact. I wouldn't choose to live in a place or not to live in a place because of one annual phase of madness, water terrorism, and reckless idiocy. What is it with the Thaier-than-thou brigade that is always rudely suggesting people that don't have ROSE COLORED GLASSES glued to their heads to leave? They remind me of silly immigrants in the U.S. that have picked up redneck values without any context or subtlety and voice absurd nonsense that is more rednecky than the local rednecks. It's even more ridiculous with expats in Thailand as only a tiny percentage of them are on any path towards residency or citizenship. Seems masochistic. Love it or leave it! No, dude. Every nation has pros and cons, and people being people have personal preferences. My personal preference is that "Songkran" in Pattaya sucks liverwurst. 

35 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

You you have a lot to learn. Songkran isn’t about the farangs.

lol. I think you're the one that have to learn. Songkran is all about farangs, especially in Pattaya. I'ts all about ฿

1 hour ago, Vacuum said:

lol. I think you're the one that have to learn. Songkran is all about farangs, especially in Pattaya. I'ts all about ฿

Nah. I get out amongst it, and the vast majority of people during Pattaya songkran are thai. More than ten to one. Take a look this year. You may even find you enjoy the atmosphere.

Certainly a hell of a lot more fun and original than the new year brain dead fireworks in western countries  that reek havoc with native wildlife.

Anyway, I am over speaking to people who are so negative about such a joyous and fun occasion. I really can’t believe how uptight some people get over it to be honest. 

None of your business where I choose to live or not live. How arrogant! I've always hated "Songkran" in Pattaya. It is TOO LONG and that is a fact. I wouldn't choose to live in a place or not to live in a place because of one annual phase of madness, water terrorism, and reckless idiocy. What is it with the Thaier-than-thou brigade that is always rudely suggesting people that don't have ROSE COLORED GLASSES glued to their heads to leave? They remind me of silly immigrants in the U.S. that have picked up redneck values without any context or subtlety and voice absurd nonsense that is more rednecky than the local rednecks. It's even more ridiculous with expats in Thailand as only a tiny percentage of them are on any path towards residency or citizenship. Seems masochistic. Love it or leave it! No, dude. Every nation has pros and cons, and people being people have personal preferences. My personal preference is that "Songkran" in Pattaya sucks liverwurst. 

Whoa. jai yen yen pee. 

Dont let it get to you so down. It isn’t as bad as you are making out. I only personally have one friend that doesn’t like it, and a hundred who do. He doesn’t call for it to be banned, he just takes a holiday somewhere else, or stays home. Too easy. 

Most people do enjoy themselves. I honestly can’t think of a funner festival. There will always be a couple of idiots who can’t handle their grog. 

I really like it. It is an awesome uniquely Thai all ages festival. 

12 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

Nah. I get out amongst it, and the vast majority of people during Pattaya songkran are thai. More than ten to one. Take a look this year. You may even find you enjoy the atmosphere.

Certainly a hell of a lot more fun and original than the new year brain dead fireworks in western countries  that reek havoc with native wildlife.

Anyway, I am over speaking to people who are so negative about such a joyous and fun occasion. I really can’t believe how uptight some people get over it to be honest. 

I guess you're touristing in Thailand.

With all the agressivity, madness mixed with drugs, alcohol today, the cops may not have a choice but to stop the party.

It's a pity as people do not know how to have innocent fun any more. Should it be in Thailand or in many other places in the world.

3 hours ago, RobMuir said:

Not from my experience. Every year my thai friends who are not hookers want to join me in the back of my pickup. I just got new speakers put in for this year. It is loud as, I have already downloaded the thai songkran mix, this year will be a big one

so you are one of them

Playing high music so normal tourists can't sit on beach peaceful 

In my opinion you behave as a morron in here and surely behave same in real life too 

sorry not everybody love music from car and meny Thais and tourists can see the fun in long Pattaya water wars 

Songkran is a great time here in Pattaya. Now I use earplugs day and night in my condo because of bar noise almost 24 hours. Bars here are above the law. And if I leave my condo I will be completely wet within some meters - caused by bars too. This is entertainment at the highest level for very many days ! No laws. Just complete freedom (at least for people celebrating this great festival) . 

On 4/15/2019 at 1:05 PM, mike787 said:

I used to think it was FUN before I had experienced it...now fir the first time I see it, can't stand it! Toilet water jetted into your face hundreds of times then inhaling cancer causing talcum powder.  Now we're describing water boarding.

First year here I thought it fun, second year slightly amusing.

The next 8 years down right annoying

This year was bliss, we are out of the country :cheesy:

17 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Summed it up for me last night, took the gf's two kids aged 10 and 7 round that corner of Beach Road and Pattaya Klang, and while most folk saw I was with two young kids and navigating the crowd one filthy, topless, squareheaded PRC took his water gun and deliberately, and quite contritely, squirted me directly in the eyes for a sustained period of 4-5 seconds. It was around 7pm and dark so didn't have my shades on. 

It's this kind of mindless, aggressive behaviour that turns me off what is usually an enjoyable festival.

Did your children have a good time? 

Pretty silly to to go to the corner of Beach road and Pattaya Klang during a water festival and expect to stay dry. That’s like ground zero there.

23 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

so you are one of them

I suspect RobMuir is one of our new trolls, joined Thaivisa in April

And already a Thai expert , he also claimed filming a video of Songkran in Pattaya from the 1960's.  

1 hour ago, RobMuir said:

i didn’t realize I had to be a long term member of thaivisa to be an thai expert. If I had known I would have signed up in the seventies when I first came here. 

You do know that there was no internet and no websites in the 1970s......right?

You better hit the history books, or learn to use google before coming back with any of your trolling.

2 minutes ago, grifbel said:

You better hit the history books, or learn to use google before coming back with any of your trolling.

No worries Griffo.

I thought some people might appreciate the video, considering a lot of the newbies seem to think it was all different in the old days, but am learning that TV is quite aggressive and instead everyone is having a go at me.

I am not really fitting in here. No drama, I am heading out into the real world in a couple of hours. Down to Naklua, should be fun.

On 4/18/2019 at 11:27 AM, grifbel said:

Well, Mr Grif there was ARPANET.

Have a wonderful day.

tenor.gif

Archived