Moody

KC 71

3 hours ago, Catoni said:

When in Thailand and Cambodia during the hottest time of the year, I see the western tourists and backpackers come out of their air conditioned hotels and they get smacked with the heat when they step outside. 

I totally avoid A/C and never turn it on in my apartments. I use only a fan. In less than four weeks in Thailand or Cambodia I have acclimated to the hot climate and although still feeling the heat...I no longer suffer with it, and my sweating slows to normal. 

Actually find A/C to be very uncomfortable at that point. 

Each to their own. But in my opinion, acclimatizing is the way to go. Allowing your body to adapt to the climate, instead of artificially trying to fight it. You will never win the fight if you use A/C. 

While western tourists and backpackers step into the street suffering and soaked in sweat and mopping their brows, I’m standing there feeling the heat...but comfortable with it. 

Are you human?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I sometimes get angry when the blade in my razor is not as sharp as I would like.

And there was me thinking I was about the only guy here who actually uses a razor.????

12 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

There was good a long thread about razors a year ago:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1023742-razors-shavers/

You're not in the minority!

I am the only farang in or near my village, but when I go anywhere there are a lot of farangs, most of them have got facial hair. Even when watching a live football match nearly all the players now have facial hair.

It must be a fashion thing.

It used to be that only guys with unattractive faces grew facial hair.

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I am the only farang in or near my village, but when I go anywhere there are a lot of farangs, most of them have got facial hair. Even when watching a live football match nearly all the players now have facial hair.

It must be a fashion thing.

It used to be that only guys with unattractive faces grew facial hair.

What do you mean unattractive? You must have seen my passport photo:

image.thumb.png.e739e3ceb5aa168aa673a69b7fe50933.png

2 hours ago, Catoni said:

Socks with sandals is a faux pas. Kind of like wearing a buttoned down shirt collar with a suit and tie, or wearing both suspenders (braces) and a belt at the same time on your pants.

Possible sign of insecurity. 

I'd always wear knitted goats-hair socks in my Sandals; great for wicking perspiration from the feet.
Having said that, I have no problem with a button-down shirt with Suit and Tie as long as one wears black shoes.
Gentlemen going into town do not wear brown as the saying goes. 

56 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

What do you mean unattractive? You must have seen my passport photo:

image.thumb.png.e739e3ceb5aa168aa673a69b7fe50933.png

Looks like repainting your house will be no problem at all. How do you get food in there?

I’m 67. Testosterone is great, and I eat a variety of fresh fruit and vegetables and take a One a Day multi-vitamine and mineral pill to be sure. 
     If you’re overweight ...the heat will hit you harder also. Lose weight, wear loose airy summer-weight wicking fabrics...keep yourself hydrated, avoid A/C and use fan only.....or else be prepared to never acclimatize to the heat. 

Like wearing speedos

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, CGW said:

Use AC ???? your body is "optimal" at 22c, sure you can get where you consider you have acclimatized, but you can't change how your body works, it don't like to be hot! it has to work harder to keep cool, the "energy" lost "acclimatizing" can be better used in staying healthy! 

I’m afraid you don’t know the definition of acclimatize. Not sure what “energy” I “lost” in acclimatizing.        But following two or three weeks to adjust to the tropical heat....I was sure much more comfortable in the heat than the folks coming outside from their A/C rooms and suffering and soaked in sweat while I felt quite comfortable. 

I know which way I choose.

32 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

I did the fan thing when I was in my twenties and living on a shoestring budget. These days I can afford air conditioning so I don’t see the point in going without. 

A/C is great if you just stay inside.

And then you step outside into the tropical heat and ...........

56 minutes ago, KKr said:

I'd always wear knitted goats-hair socks in my Sandals; great for wicking perspiration from the feet.
Having said that, I have no problem with a button-down shirt with Suit and Tie as long as one wears black shoes.
Gentlemen going into town do not wear brown as the saying goes. 

I find that my bare feet in sandals stay nice and dry...except during Songkran. 

1 minute ago, Catoni said:

Sure....except I wasn’t making an assumption. ????

So you are stating a fact? knowing nothing about me? or my experience with living and working in SEA for the past forty years - bold ???? 

Got some neat mini air-con fans
The electric bill will be the same as using a fan so i have been told
Haven’t received the bill yet,so only time will tell !

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Jeez its 38 here in the Rai right now

Moving up to 40 degrees on wed !

I start to get a-bit hot under the collar with anything over 25

I tend to snap very easily

Oh well, i signed up for this !

It feels like I’ve got a short fuse these days !

The air quality isn’t helping much either

maybe it something more to do with your life style, finances, partner etc. only a thought im 62 years old the heat no problem for me.

I lived in the north of Australia for over 30 years. Between the dry season and the wet season it was called the build up. This was also called the troppo season because a lot of people would "spit the dummy". That is they would become very "moody". The weather is a huge factor.

Good luck

6 hours ago, Catoni said:

I find that my bare feet in sandals stay nice and dry...except during Songkran. 

will think about getting some sandals than .... 555 ... last pair of recycled tires fell apart about 5 years ago ...

14 hours ago, rutteketuut said:

Are you human?

Absolutely. If I wanted to keep cool, I would travel and retire in the Arctic. 

Funny how most people prefer the hot tropics over the nice cool Arctic islands. 

Beaches, Sandals and Hilton and Atlantis resorts don’t seem to be in much of a hurry to build resorts on the north shore of Alaska or the Arctic shores of Canada and Russia. 

Ever wonder why biodiversity increases as you approach the Equator and lessens as you approach the Polar regions?  

Life much prefers the hot tropics. 

Common sense!

14 hours ago, CGW said:

Use AC ???? your body is "optimal" at 22c, sure you can get where you consider you have acclimatized, but you can't change how your body works, it don't like to be hot! it has to work harder to keep cool, the "energy" lost "acclimatizing" can be better used in staying healthy! 

Body is “optimal” at 22c?  That’s strange....my body temp is usually somewhere between 36.5c and 37.5c

I think at 22c you would be deceased. 

15 hours ago, CGW said:

So you are stating a fact? knowing nothing about me? or my experience with living and working in SEA for the past forty years - bold ???? 

Well... I know you prefer the hot tropics....apparently combined with A/C... which seems to be a contradiction. If you run cool A/C and you’re not acclimatized, then every time you step outside will feel like walking into a hot oven or hot sauna and your going to suffer. 

I would think that if you preferred it cooler, you would live in one of the many temperate countries, or maybe Alaska or Nepal, Sikkim, or northern Canada or Scandinavia. 

My sincere apologies for finding it humorous when people move to the hot tropics....and then they complain that it’s hot.  

Kind of like building your home on a floodplain...and then complaining when your home gets washed away some day. Or living on the slopes of a volcano, and being shocked to one day wake up and find lava flowing through your living room. 

Archived