Moody

KC 71

3 hours ago, Catoni said:

Well... I know you prefer the hot tropics....apparently combined with A/C... which seems to be a contradiction. If you run cool A/C and you’re not acclimatized, then every time you step outside will feel like walking into a hot oven or hot sauna and your going to suffer. 

I would think that if you preferred it cooler, you would live in one of the many temperate countries, or maybe Alaska or Nepal, Sikkim, or northern Canada or Scandinavia. 

My sincere apologies for finding it humorous when people move to the hot tropics....and then they complain that it’s hot.  

Kind of like building your home on a floodplain...and then complaining when your home gets washed away some day. Or living on the slopes of a volcano, and being shocked to one day wake up and find lava flowing through your living room. 

You Sir are bound and determined to get you sweaty point across aren't you?  ???? 

Yes, I prefer AC, to sitting around perspiring, next you will be telling me how you have cooling cross breezes blowing through the house when it is 40c+ outside.

My move to Thailand & SEA had nothing to do with the weather, I didn't have the luxury of choice 40 years ago that I have today, I moved here for work, mainly physical work in shipyards and construction sites. 

If you think it gets hot here try working in the bowels of a dead ship in drydock, that's is hot, or a yard full of steel, I'm sure you would quickly "acclimatize".

I learnt to manage the heat, I only got full blown heat stroke three times, not pleasant, your body has to work hard to stay cool, as I previously stated, your body is optimal at 22c the hotter it gets, the more it has to work, to the point it starts to shut down other functions when it is unable to "acclimatize" (your favourite word again.)

I accept your "sincere apologises" for the humour you find when people "move" to the tropics.

Please accept my "sincere apologises" for finding it strange that people would want to sit around in the house dripping with sweat when there is AC, that can be run to keep the surroundings healthy & pleasant, I have two AC running at 28c in the house now it is comfortable, it is 38c outside, I could open the windows and have a fan on, then it would be 38c inside as well! Why would I want to do that unless I was a cheap charlie?

I have earned the right to be comfortable, I have perspired enough to earn the right.

You might find it strange but I do work outside in the heat for a couple of hours a day, its very pleasant to come back into a cool house - amazing eh? 

At midnight last night it was 33c here, did I have AC on - dam right - slept very well, body was able to recuperate & rest, would the quality of my sleep been better if I had slept with a small fan and sweated all night as appears to be your preference- off course not! 

Have a nice sweaty day, I shall enjoy managing my "contradiction" on my terms.  ???? 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Catoni said:

Body is “optimal” at 22c?  That’s strange....my body temp is usually somewhere between 36.5c and 37.5c

I think at 22c you would be deceased. 

your never too old to learn you know? Heat dissipation? or are you just trying to make me look stupid ???? 

It's simple thermodynamics, really.

Even a human body at rest produces waste heat as part of its basic life processes. This heat has to go somewhere, otherwise the body would overheat. If the outside temperature equals your body temperature, your body is unable to dispose of its excess heat without overheating. (Actually, so long as humidity remains reasonably low, your body can employ evaporative cooling, which is how we survive on hot days without air conditioning. But excessive sweating is not exactly fun. And in 100% relative humidity, 32-33 degrees Centigrade can be deadly to an otherwise healthy human being.)

Think of your body as an engine or as a computer. Both produce waste heat that has to go somewhere. The temperature inside a computer case maybe 40 degrees Centigrade. Yet if you tried to operate that computer in a 40 C environment, it may overheat and shut down. Similarly, your car's engine may be running at, say, 85 degrees Centigrade. But if you put that car into an 85 C thermal environment, the engine would overheat in no time.

We feel most comfortable in temperatures where the body's natural ability to dissipate heat without heroic measures (like sweating) equals the amount of waste heat our body produces at rest.

It is not just me who benefits from a cooler, drier environment.  It is good for my dog, electronics and my clothes and bedding.  Unlike animals who must adapt physically to their environment, as in growing thick fur in a cold climate, humans are able to modify their behavior by wearing different clothing, building a fire or turning on the air conditioner.  Why not take advantage of one of our main human attributes.????

26 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

It is not just me who benefits from a cooler, drier environment.  It is good for my dog, electronics and my clothes and bedding.  Unlike animals who must adapt physically to their environment, as in growing thick fur in a cold climate, humans are able to modify their behavior by wearing different clothing, building a fire or turning on the air conditioner.  Why not take advantage of one of our main human attributes.????

We have one old dog that we have to bring inside on hot days like today, poor old fellow (he's 115 doggie years) can no longer keep cool and would doubtless get heatstroke left outside, we have two other dogs that are able to fend for themselves and find somewhere cool to hibernate during the day, he can no longer do that ???? 

Good point about clothes and bedding doesn't take long for them to start "breeding" in the heat and humidity!

Even the internal structure of the house benefits from AC, we are not the only thing that degrades with time, internal fittings and structure also do, accelerated by heat & humidity

On 4/18/2019 at 12:23 AM, CGW said:

You Sir are bound and determined to get you sweaty point across aren't you?  ???? 

Yes, I prefer AC, to sitting around perspiring, next you will be telling me how you have cooling cross breezes blowing through the house when it is 40c+ outside.

My move to Thailand & SEA had nothing to do with the weather, I didn't have the luxury of choice 40 years ago that I have today, I moved here for work, mainly physical work in shipyards and construction sites. 

If you think it gets hot here try working in the bowels of a dead ship in drydock, that's is hot, or a yard full of steel, I'm sure you would quickly "acclimatize".

I learnt to manage the heat, I only got full blown heat stroke three times, not pleasant, your body has to work hard to stay cool, as I previously stated, your body is optimal at 22c the hotter it gets, the more it has to work, to the point it starts to shut down other functions when it is unable to "acclimatize" (your favourite word again.)

I accept your "sincere apologises" for the humour you find when people "move" to the tropics.

Please accept my "sincere apologises" for finding it strange that people would want to sit around in the house dripping with sweat when there is AC, that can be run to keep the surroundings healthy & pleasant, I have two AC running at 28c in the house now it is comfortable, it is 38c outside, I could open the windows and have a fan on, then it would be 38c inside as well! Why would I want to do that unless I was a cheap charlie?

I have earned the right to be comfortable, I have perspired enough to earn the right.

You might find it strange but I do work outside in the heat for a couple of hours a day, its very pleasant to come back into a cool house - amazing eh? 

At midnight last night it was 33c here, did I have AC on - dam right - slept very well, body was able to recuperate & rest, would the quality of my sleep been better if I had slept with a small fan and sweated all night as appears to be your preference- off course not! 

Have a nice sweaty day, I shall enjoy managing my "contradiction" on my terms.  ???? 

Acclimatize is not “my” word. It’s an accepted word in the science and medical literature.

I come to Thailand and Cambodia and spend months there each time. It takes me no more than three weeks to acclimatize to the point that I am no longer “...dripping with sweat” and I no longer suffer with the heat. 

At that point, I’m comfortable in the heat. I can still feel the heat, but no longer soaked in sweat and suffering. 

Ever since learning about how to acclimatize...I’ve never used A/C and find it quite uncomfortable when exposed to A/C when in a tropical country or even back “home” in my both country during the three hot summer months. 

Nope...no dripping sweaty days for me except for my first three weeks suffering in the heat in the tropics as I acclimatize,and then I’m fine. I can go out when it’s well over 100F or 41C.... and not suffer in the heat at all. That’s my choice. Happy to not suffer in the heat. Happy to be comfortable in it. I would never go back to using A/C. 

I would highly recommend that people going to stay in the tropics for more than a month, to learn how to acclimatize to the tropical climate. You’ll be very thankful if you do. 

I still find it kind of funny to see western tourists come out of their A/C hotel rooms on their way to see the Angkor Wat ruins, and step into the tropical heat and start sweating profusely in their flowery short sleeve shirts and short pants wearing socks and flip flops and hat, mopping their wet faces....and I’m standing there dry and comfortable...maybe just a touch of sweat under my arms if anything. 55555????

9 hours ago, Catoni said:

I would highly recommend that people going to stay in the tropics for more than a month, to learn how to acclimatize to the tropical climate. You’ll be very thankful if you do. 

In your situation its good that you have the time & inclination to "acclimatize", lets throw one very ugly word into the equation to mess with things a little - "work" - sorry for the language, many live & work here, personally I used to spend my time split between working outside and AC office............... ????

When in Thailand and Cambodia during the hottest time of the year, I see the western tourists and backpackers come out of their air conditioned hotels and they get smacked with the heat when they step outside. 
   I totally avoid A/C and never turn it on in my apartments. I use only a fan. In less than four weeks in Thailand or Cambodia I have acclimated to the hot climate and although still feeling the heat...I no longer suffer with it, and my sweating slows to normal. 
     Actually find A/C to be very uncomfortable at that point. 
   Each to their own. But in my opinion, acclimatizing is the way to go. Allowing your body to adapt to the climate, instead of artificially trying to fight it. You will never win the fight if you use A/C. 
     While western tourists and backpackers step into the street suffering and soaked in sweat and mopping their brows, I’m standing there feeling the heat...but comfortable with it. 
I tend to put it on after I've had a shower in the evening. During the day I just use the fan

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I did a thread on this weeks ago, 38 is nothing here @ 42c with no breeze and loads of low hanging clouds, farmers taking tons of water to the cows. GROW SOME ! or button it.
I'm used to working in the Middle East. 50C with a water bottle in each back pocket. 30 minutes on the job and back inside to cool down and replenish water.
I can handle this, but do prefer the cooler weather.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Feel sorry for those who have to "climatize" (another way of saying unable to afford air conditioning) during the hot season. It's near unbearable just walking 5 meters in the >40 degree heat from our 24/7 air conditioned house to our swimming pool, or walking a similar distance to our (air conditioned) car to drive to our (air conditioned) shopping center and to our (air conditioned) restaurants. 

I've never had any problem living without air-con for most of the day, I move around at a slower rate, hardly any sweat.

At night in the hotter weather we have the bedroom at 28c ...... so cold we have to huddle under the duvet.

Seems pointless living in a tropical country then not being comfortable outside.

I like to cycle and walk around on the trails, and see waterfalls, mountains and jungle.

How can anyone live inside all the time?

Seems pointless living in a tropical country then not being comfortable outside.
I like to cycle and walk around on the trails, and see waterfalls, mountains and jungle.

So do I... but during the cooler months thanks.

How can anyone live inside all the time?

You don’t have to live inside all the time to beat the heat in a tropical country. For example try:

Water sports/activities.

Air conditioned cinemas, bowling alleys, museums, shopping malls, restaurants etc.

Turn your backyard into a water park. Buy a slip n' slide and hold a contest for speed, style, and splash factor. You can also buy water balloons, water guns, or a plastic kiddie pool.

Take a scenic drive (with your AC on)

Beach picnics.

Archived