Celery - Not the Chinese Type.

Formaleins

Anyone in the Chiang Mai or Lamphun area know where I can buy some ordinary Celery? Not the thin spindley Chinese stuff, the real western type big bunch with leaves type? I know that I can get it from Tesco Hang Dong, it is the Royal Project brand. I also know that I CANNOT get it at the Big C Branch at Hang Dong / San Patong. Teco Express Thung Sieow does not sell it either. 7/11 sells nothing like this asnyway so it is a waste of time trying them.

I was wondering about the Tesco at Pasang and also the Tesco at both Baan Hong and Chom Thong. There surely must be other outlets around this area for the Royal Project veggies, how about the Supermarkets at Kaad Farang, Rimping?

Anyone know of any local markets that sell it, or if maybe some of the Tesco's from out of town sell it as I really do not want to have to drive a 90km round trip to get some. (I actually do not mind doing a road trip out towards the SW, just not heading toward the City, anywhere Lamphun side or on the Chom Thong roads is fine.

Thanks in advance

All those choices, Rimping, Sizzler etc. are in the wrong direction for me. Besides, Rimping imported veggies are often terrible, overpriced and inedible - Australian Parsnips, 180 B$ / KG, tiny little whizzened junk, enough wood in them to build a log cabin, and about as much taste. No, the celery I want is grown in Thailand and is sold under the Royal Project brand. Just seems not many places stock it, maybe it all goes to Bangkok?

2 minutes ago, DonDoRondo said:

Good luck -I find celery at Rimping or Tops but the price is high.

Whenever I pass by a salad bar I always check to see if they've got some loose sticks.

Celery's indispensable for tuna salad IMO.  Minced are carrots are ok but not the same.

I wonder if they might know?

CapedCrusaders.jpg.aa92b9899b0f4d5acba89a3207fa98a6.jpg.644620a813914aa552019010e2274cf5.jpg

Are you sure you're not a doctor?

Often the Tops at KSK has imported western style celery, but I've gotten to like the "Chinese celery" instead for just about everything where you'd use western celery.  Atually has more celery-flavor in cooked dishes than the over-aged western celery stocked here. Be sure to include the leaves of Chinese celery in cooking.

One of my "base soups" for cooking casseroles before I moved here was Campbell's Cream of Celery.  Now I an make a passable sub using Chinese celery not western celery.

8 hours ago, Formaleins said:

All those choices, Rimping, Sizzler etc. are in the wrong direction for me. Besides, Rimping imported veggies are often terrible, overpriced and inedible - Australian Parsnips, 180 B$ / KG, tiny little whizzened junk, enough wood in them to build a log cabin, and about as much taste. No, the celery I want is grown in Thailand and is sold under the Royal Project brand. Just seems not many places stock it, maybe it all goes to Bangkok?

No, it doesn't all go to Bangkok. But I doubt most people here can help you considering where you live. I've lived here 12 years and never been to San Patong. If you are willing to take a drive up to Hang Dong, you could go to the Doi Kham shop early in the day and buy it by the boatload and cheap.

BTW always ask for Doi Kham. Thais will have no idea what you mean when you ask for Royal Project.

11 hours ago, Formaleins said:

Why not buy directly from he Royal project they have many sales locations.

Archived