BANGKOK 23 April 2019 14:53
BKKisLove

Please help! Need PCP and Xray asap!

Hi.

I am an American expat that has been living in Bangkok for about a month. I am currently running very low on money due to unforeseen expenses that came up (no, I do not drink alcohol, use drugs, or anything like that), these were legitimate, unforeseen financial issues that seemingly came out of nowhere. 

I do not start my first job position here until May 5th. I had medical coverage, however, prior to coming to Thailand, my insurance company had provided me with misinformation and have learned it is only valid in the USA. Great - so essentially, it's like I do not have insurance. I would never come to Thailand without insurance, would come to Thailand without health insurance?? (Actually, I shouldn't say that because it is probably more common than I think, nevermind lol).

Since I do not start until May 5th, I am not doing well at all financially, therefore, I was hoping to get some help with the following:

1) Where can I find an affordable Primary Care Physician (PCP) in the Bangkok area (Sukhumvit if possible) that I can see same-day (also, if possible)? I want to see someone tomorrow morning and see if the PCP can look at the 2 lumps I felt (explained below) because I am freaking out. 

About 3 days ago, I noticed a small lump (internal) by my left rib cage which was tender to the touch (still kind of is). I also found another one on the right side of my back (internal) which is not tender but it is there. This is completely abnormal for me. I am 100% healthy (when I was back in the states, I had a perfect clean bill of health), I am very active and do not drink or smoke, and drink a gallon of (bottled not tap) water without fail everyday, but.. due to those unforeseen financial issues, I have been eating a lot of ramen noodles (yum but ridiculous sodium content) because I have been broke-ish. Therefore, I am really scared of what these lumps could be. They seemingly came out of nowhere.

2) Is there somewhere that can do affordable x-rays for me? I need to get this done as soon as possible as I am so scared right now.

Thank you very much in advance.

There's certainly not any cancers popping up like that, and cancer is usually not tender. You say "internal"but you can tell them. Maybe sebaceous cysts?

In general Thailand does not have "primary care physicians" as such, medical care here is very specialuzed.

However there is a good American PCP at Mission Hospital, Dr. Nick Walters. You can make appointment online or by phone.

Xrays if indicated are not very expensive herr. But Xray unlikely to be relevant to a lump.

www.mission-hospital.org/en/component/k2/item/54-dr-nick-walters.html

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

Get a X-ray at a Gov hospital usually that's enough to see any abnormality.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

There's certainly not any cancers popping up like that, and cancer is usually not tender. You say "internal"but you can tell them. Maybe sebaceous cysts?

Hey RotBenz8888, I was thinking it may possibly be a sebaceous cyst, but was not entirely sure. It is only the one near my left rib that is slightly tender to the touch. The one near my back (on the right side, near my right oblique) is not sore at all. Still not sure what it could be, but will need to find out soon. And btw, thank God you gave me some reassurance that it certainly isn't cancer, but at the same time, we just really don't know until tests are done. Anyway, thanks very much for responding!

Edited by BKKisLove

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

In general Thailand does not have "primary care physicians" as such, medical care here is very specialuzed.

However there is a good American PCP at Mission Hospital, Dr. Nick Walters. You can make appointment online or by phone.

Xrays if indicated are not very expensive herr. But Xray unlikely to be relevant to a lump.

www.mission-hospital.org/en/component/k2/item/54-dr-nick-walters.html

Hello Sheryl. I was able to look up Dr. Nick Walters and I am wondering if I could order "A la carte" only the tests that I need for now (well, the ones that are the most relevant for my current situation). Example: I wonder if I could just order an Abdominal Ultra-sound, for them to check my back area, and the doctor's visit. I am going to look into that.

Edited by BKKisLove

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Get a X-ray at a Gov hospital usually that's enough to see any abnormality.

Hey Kwasaki, thanks for the response! Can you list just a few government hospitals? (Any you recommend specifically?)

Yes tests will be by doctors request if needed - not a general physical battery of tests for specific concerns such as this.

Chulalongkorn
Siriraj

You cannot just go in and request an xray. You have to see a Dr and up to them whether to order it. As I mentioned I cannot see any reason why an Xray would be done for soft tissue lu.ps. They are of no use for this. Odds are these are just sebaceous cysts or lipomas and that can be determined on physical exam. If there is need for more info would likely be a scan not an Xray.

Seeing a Dr for a non urgent problem at a government hospital will entail a lot of red tape (all of it in Thai) and long waits. Expect to spend the better part of a day starti g from very early morning with uncomfortable hot crowded waiting conditions and have a Thai speaker along. It will however be cheap. Consultation maybe 100-200 baht. You will probably be seen by an intern and this is the very start of tbe clinical year do an intern who was still a medical student a month ago.

There is an after hours clinic at Chula whete you can see tbe more zenior doctors. Starts around 4 pm but you should get i tbe queue by 3. Still a long wsit but better than the public channel. Costs more, maybe?300 -400 baht and you still need a Thai speaker for the initial registration and getting around.

At private hospital little or no wait, can get appointment readily, no red tape etc all very easy but costs more e.g. 800 - 1500 baht for consultation in a nonprofit, 1000-2000 in a for profit.

Do not buy any medication at the hospital. If you need any get it at an outside pharmacy as there is a big mark up. Be forewarned tbat Thai doctors seriously overprescribe so even if (as is likely) no treatment is needed tbey'll still order something (paracetemol, vitamins etc).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BKKisLove said:

Hey Kwasaki, thanks for the response! Can you list just a few government hospitals? (Any you recommend specifically?)

An x-ray is all you need first for your initial diagnosis. 

I'm surprised people on TV  in Bangkok can't tell you where the nearest Gov Hospital is, you go to reception show your ID passport whatever and see a doctor who will then send you to x-ray. 

There are private Hospitals in Bkk, again don't know why people here cannot direct you.

My local gov hospital is exceptional not all are apparently.

Relax.  Just do what Sheryl suggests and ignore all other advice and suggestions.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Chulalongkorn
Siriraj

You cannot just go in and request an xray. You have to see a Dr and up to them whether to order it. As I mentioned I cannot see any reason why an Xray would be done for soft tissue lu.ps. They are of no use for this. Odds are these are just sebaceous cysts or lipomas and that can be determined on physical exam. If there is need for more info would likely be a scan not an Xray.

Seeing a Dr for a non urgent problem at a government hospital will entail a lot of red tape (all of it in Thai) and long waits. Expect to spend the better part of a day starti g from very early morning with uncomfortable hot crowded waiting conditions and have a Thai speaker along. It will however be cheap. Consultation maybe 100-200 baht. You will probably be seen by an intern and this is the very start of tbe clinical year do an intern who was still a medical student a month ago.

There is an after hours clinic at Chula whete you can see tbe more zenior doctors. Starts around 4 pm but you should get i tbe queue by 3. Still a long wsit but better than the public channel. Costs more, maybe?300 -400 baht and you still need a Thai speaker for the initial registration and getting around.

At private hospital little or no wait, can get appointment readily, no red tape etc all very easy but costs more e.g. 800 - 1500 baht for consultation in a nonprofit, 1000-2000 in a for profit.

Do not buy any medication at the hospital. If you need any get it at an outside pharmacy as there is a big mark up. Be forewarned tbat Thai doctors seriously overprescribe so even if (as is likely) no treatment is needed tbey'll still order something (paracetemol, vitamins etc).

Hi Sheryl, Thank you for the helpful information. I believe it was at BNH that I was informed you can order items as needed (ok, so not x-ray.. that is loud and clear at this point. I meant an ultrasound (for lower abdomen or elsewhere where the suspected lumps are), which would've been the more appropriate term).

Are there any outside pharmacies (not located in hospitals) that you or anyone here could recommend in the BKK area? Sukhumvit is preferred but anywhere in BKK that has lower than average prices and is a reputable pharmacy would be great. Thanks!

Edited by BKKisLove

You can't order ultrasounds on yourself either except as an add-on to a check up package.

Nor should you as it migjt be a waste of money. Let a doctor look at these lumps and decide what if any tests ate needed. Some types of things can be diagnosed just by physical inspection.

The city is full of pharmacies. Usually big green sign in Thai script. What area of the city are you in and what sort of thing are you looking to buy?

23 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Chulalongkorn
Siriraj

Actually,  right now would be a good time to go to one of the government hospitals. 

Pretty empty due to the holidays.