Visa rejected on land border

Hi Everyone,

Recently me and my friends were traveling to Hat yai from kuala lumpur, and the officer denied to provide us on arrival visa by saying we are elejible for on arrival visa if we are entering by land border. 

In the letter he has mentioned "having no mean of living" though we have 10000Bath.

Can anyone please suggest weather we are elegible to enter again to thailand if we travel by air. we are planing to travel next week to Phuket by air.

Please find the attached images.

IMG_20190415_173456__01.thumb.jpg.d98b0cc0c4e539f359917c1a88c6c9fb.jpg

IMG_20190415_172753.thumb.jpg.31b65dc13ffcf5756abfb176a016d740.jpg

Thanks.

The Nong Khai border crossing near Vientiane, Laos is often cited as a good one to try, also getting a visa before trying to enter the country may help. I believe from similar incidents, the Southern Airports, including Bangkok and Phuket are fairly strict. Chiang Mai airport is probably the best bet if you want to try by air.

4 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

Indian passport so....

I assumed that. But wanted to be sure.

Not sure why an immigration officer at Sadao or Pedang Besar would say they were not allowed to do a visa on arrival by land since they are allowed to do 15 day visas on arrival at both those crossings.

If that was truly the reason the denial of entry stamp would of shown 1 of section 12 of the immigration act.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I assumed that. But wanted to be sure.

Not sure why an immigration officer at Sadao or Pedang Besar would say they were not allowed to do a visa on arrival by land since they are allowed to do 15 day visas on arrival at both those crossings.

If that was truly the reason the denial of entry stamp would of shown 1 of section 12 of the immigration act.

Thanks for your reply,

Yes I am an Indian living in Malaysia. I am not sure why he denied, he is not even allowed us inside, he just took the passports and asked us to wait outside.

We tought he is processing the Visa. After some time he called a police and given passports to him. Then police gave the passport and this letter and told to go back to Malaysia.

I am not understanding why he mentioned having no means of living.

We have hotel booking, return ticket and money.

My worry is, is there any rules like if the Visa rejected once, we don't get again. That's why we wanted to try again by going in air.

Please let me know, what he wrote in passport.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, atecom said:

The Nong Khai border crossing near Vientiane, Laos is often cited as a good one to try, also getting a visa before trying to enter the country may help. I believe from similar incidents, the Southern Airports, including Bangkok and Phuket are fairly strict. Chiang Mai airport is probably the best bet if you want to try by air.

Thanks for your reply

I will try to get Visa before traveling.

Just wanted to check why they rejected and will we be able to try again.

Thanks.

6 minutes ago, Prav1111 said:

Yes I am an Indian living in Malaysia. I am not sure why he denied, he is not even allowed us inside, he just took the passports and asked us to wait outside.

We tought he is processing the Visa. After some time he called a police and given passports to him. Then police gave the passport and this letter and told to go back to Malaysia.

My worry is, is there any rules like if the Visa rejected once, we don't get again. That's why we wanted to try again by going in air.

Please let me know, what he wrote in passport.

I assume you had completed the visa on arrival application form with a photo attached.

I cannot understand the reason for your denial of entry if you were attempting an entry at a crossing allowed to do visas on arrival. Have you done any other visa on arrival entries recently?

The denial of entry stamp does not mean you cannot enter the country again

I suggest you apply for a visa on arrival online and enter at the one of the airports where they are accepted. See: http://en.evisathailand.com/

It is the standard denial of entry stamp stating you did not have "2. Having no appropriate means of living following entrance into the Kingdom"

11 minutes ago, Prav1111 said:

I will try to get Visa before traveling.

Unless you have residency in Malaysia you will not be able to apply for a tourist visa without a 4 week wait for approval at the embassy in Kuala Lumpur. See: http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/th/services/99059-Applying-for-Visa-to-Thailand-at-the-Royal-Thai-Em.html

41 minutes ago, Prav1111 said:

I assume they never asked about any of these, correct?  According to the rules, those are the things required. 

Was this Sadao?  This entry point may have been taken over by the bad IOs who don't care about the rules, and use 12(2) as a way to deny entry to people for whom that reason-for-denial does not apply.  You were not applying to "live" in Thailand - just get a short stay, for which the cash and return-ticket are sufficient (by their own rules) to prove you can pay your way.

On 4/15/2019 at 8:45 PM, ubonjoe said:

I assume you had completed the visa on arrival application form with a photo attached.

I cannot understand the reason for your denial of entry if you were attempting an entry at a crossing allowed to do visas on arrival. Have you done any other visa on arrival entries recently?

The denial of entry stamp does not mean you cannot enter the country again

I suggest you apply for a visa on arrival online and enter at the one of the airports where they are accepted. See: http://en.evisathailand.com/

It is the standard denial of entry stamp stating you did not have "2. Having no appropriate means of living following entrance into the Kingdom"

Unless you have residency in Malaysia you will not be able to apply for a tourist visa without a 4 week wait for approval at the embassy in Kuala Lumpur. See: http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/th/services/99059-Applying-for-Visa-to-Thailand-at-the-Royal-Thai-Em.html

No, they didnt ask anything except passport. I have Malaysian employmet pass, i will try to apply visa from Kuala lumpur embassy.

On 4/15/2019 at 5:18 PM, ubonjoe said:

Because it seems they can change the rules or ignore them this being an example 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jackdd said:

So Sadao should better be avoided in the future, makes it two unlawful land border crossings with Poipet now

Based on one post about visa on arrival denied that seems an over the top conclusion.

4 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Based on one post about visa on arrival denied that seems an over the top conclusion.

Technically they granted him the visa on arrival, and then denied him entry for an arbitrary reason. If they had denied him the VOA the reason for denial would have been 12.1 (no valid passport or visa) and not 12.2.

Of course only one person yet, but it might happen to other people as well, maybe he was just the first that we heard of. So if anybody is thinking about entering at Sadao or for example Nong Khai, then this person should prefer Nong Khai

24 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Technically they granted him the visa on arrival, and then denied him entry for an arbitrary reason. If they had denied him the VOA the reason for denial would have been 12.1 (no valid passport or visa) and not 12.2.

There is no technical way to issue a visa on arrival. He did not even have the chance to complete the application for it.

Perhaps they did not want to take the time to do it because they were busy on the the 13th and the 2000 baht fee for it is still waived at this time.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:
1 hour ago, jackdd said:

So Sadao should better be avoided in the future, makes it two unlawful land border crossings with Poipet now

Sadao has been a problematic crossing in the past, albeit for different reasons, and has long been on my list of crossings to avoid when possible.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vinniekintana said:

It's customary to put 200 b in your passport in the southern border..

Sadao were busted twice for that scheme (it made the newspapers).  For awhile, they were asking every visitor to "show the money" (10K exempt or 20K Baht w/visa) as a sort of "payback" for losing this income-source.  With the "no tips" policy, they may now be doing a sort of "strike" against doing VOAs. 

No doubt those IOs paid big money for their positions at a formerly-lucrative entry point job, and now cannot get the ROI they feel they deserve.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 2

On 4/15/2019 at 4:53 PM, ubonjoe said:

What are your nationalities?

Were you trying to get a 15 day visa on arrival or a 30 day visa exempt entry?

I suspect that might have a lot to do with it! Just one look at that thumbnail.....say no more.

9 hours ago, Formaleins said:

I suspect that might have a lot to do with it! Just one look at that thumbnail.....say no more.

Would you say more about that thumbnail Formaleins?  

I went back to the picture and to look and I have no clue about what the thumbnail in the picture has to do with the subject of the post.  

7 hours ago, radiochaser said:

Would you say more about that thumbnail Formaleins?  

I went back to the picture and to look and I have no clue about what the thumbnail in the picture has to do with the subject of the post.  

Maybe the skin color and the Indian stamp in the passport. Lots of assumptions.

Slightly off topic, flew into Thailand yesterday Phonm Penh to Don Muang to Chiang Mai using Air Asia.

On entering immigration at Don Muang ........ approximately 9:30am.

VIsa on arrival area had people packed in like sardines (couldn't see immigration desks for the crowd).

Normal Immigration room completely empty except for me (5 immigration desks out of 10 manned).

Pass to domestic room only one person ahead of me (one immigration desk out of 3 manned).

I was quite surprised, was expecting more people around.