BANGKOK 25 April 2019 22:44
DaRoadrunner

Can foreigners become Thai citizens?

Can foreigners become Thai citizens?

Years ago I met an Indian lady who had become a Thai citizen. At the time I never thought to ask her how she acquired this. (No, she had not married a Thai).

Can anyone on TV shed light on this?

• Sad 1

Yes you can.

unfortunately you must be employed here as one of the conditions.

So I wouldn’t bother.

Just to add, if you are getting your Thai passport after a long process you are not permitted to keep your old passport.

I know some have it still but officially you are not allowed. (at least for Germans it counts)

That means you will have to apply every time you want to visit your home country or working abroad for a Visa.

Worth it? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, See Will said:

Just to add, if you are getting your Thai passport after a long process you are not permitted to keep your old passport.

I know some have it still but officially you are not allowed. (at least for Germans it counts)

That means you will have to apply every time you want to visit your home country or working abroad for a Visa.

Worth it? 

I don't know what the Thai position is on this? But the UK passport states that you may hold other nationalities.

Posted (edited)

Germany also but only if it's from birth. 

Edit: I looked into getting German citizenship and it was possible to keep my current dual citizenship. 1 from my mother and another because of where I am born. However, I think you need to surrender your German citizenship if you apply for a new one like if you become Thai without being Thai from birth. 

Edited by Tayaout

45 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Thanks for your post and incredible story. So it took over 4 years!

Is a Residents Permit required first?

Can't help thinking a lawyer and a brown envelope would have saved a lot of trouble.

5 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Can't help thinking a lawyer and a brown envelope would have saved a lot of trouble.

This thread is from 2007 and 300 pages long, so things might have changed since then, but i don't know further details.

Probably it makes sense to start reading somewhere on the last pages and not on the first.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

"Permanent Residence" is not required first.

14 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Maybe with some steps - but this is not like dealing with immigration for a mere 1-year permitted-stay.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, See Will said:

Worth it? 

Australians can keep their OZ passport.

16 hours ago, RobMuir said:

Yes you can.

unfortunately you must be employed here as one of the conditions.

So I wouldn’t bother.

Another point - just to be very clear, there is a common misconception / misunderstanding that the main qualifying factor for both PR and Thai citizenship is to have been in Thailand on any visa (any visa) for 10 years then you can apply for both PR and citizenship. This is not true at all, there's no avenue anything like this. 

As RobMuir mentioned:

• " Yes you can.
  • unfortunately you must be employed here as one of the conditions.
  • So I wouldn’t bother."

In other words working with a Thai work permit, and for both categories (PR and Citizenship) it's not meaning hold a WP for six months or say 1 year, it's more. And must have a valid WP at the time of applying (not some time in the past).

Plus the applicant must have documentary proof that his/her annual personal Thai tax returns have been submitted and officially cleared for a number of years.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Tayaout said:

Germany also but only if it's from birth. 

Edit: I looked into getting German citizenship and it was possible to keep my current dual citizenship. 1 from my mother and another because of where I am born. However, I think you need to surrender your German citizenship if you apply for a new one like if you become Thai without being Thai from birth. 

You can keep your German citizenship if you have a 'Beibehaltungsgenehmigung der deutschen Staatsangehörigkeit' which has to be applied for BEFORE you start the application process for another citizenship. If you have dual citizenship by birth it's no problem.

• Like 1

My Chinese landlady and her Chinese husband from. Hong Kong got het Thai citizenship and ThaiD ID last month. She  had a PR  status before. 15  Years I thinkkl.She still have her UK passport .