What the hell is wrong with me?

pumpjack

6 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

As someone who just was prescribed ciprofloxacin after operations would not advise anyone to take without valid reason.  Luckily had Gaviscon available to counteract.  It is the only medication I have had an adverse reaction (that I know for sure) and stomach issues seem to be common. 

It is the emergency treatment for anthrax so easily available and cheap but seems to be handed out way too often here.

I've taken it before, no side effects. All medicines have a list of safety instructions due to some people being allergic.

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

No, it is not.

Standard treatment for diarrhea is fluid replacement and, if perdistant or accompanied by a fever, search for the cause.

Cipro can be used for UTIs that do not respond to frontline drugs but is not first choice.

Very bad idea to self medicate a febrile diarrheal illness (though sounds like he has already done so). Will further mess up intestinal flora, make it hard to culture the offending organism and, if the cause is a parasite , virus or a bacteria not sensitive to that drug, serve no purpose.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Cipro is routinely handed out here at hospitals for diarrhoea. They don't even do a stool test.

Given that the OP said he doesn't have the money for a hospital, he doesn't really have much choice.

4 hours ago, tlandtday said:

Have you checked your blood pressure? Head to one of the govt hospitals maybe the one in north naklua.  Not expensive to get checked.  Good luck.

You can buy an Omron blood pressure monitor for Bht 1800 at Tesco.

On 4/17/2019 at 10:48 AM, Sheryl said:

No, it is not.

Standard treatment for diarrhea is fluid replacement and, if perdistant or accompanied by a fever, search for the cause.

Cipro can be used for UTIs that do not respond to frontline drugs but is not first choice.

Very bad idea to self medicate a febrile diarrheal illness (though sounds like he has already done so). Will further mess up intestinal flora, make it hard to culture the offending organism and, if the cause is a parasite , virus or a bacteria not sensitive to that drug, serve no purpose.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/65/12/e45/4557073

2017 Infectious Diseases Society of America Clinical Practice Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Management of Infectious Diarrhea 

"31. The empiric antimicrobial therapy in adults should be either a fluoroquinolone such as ciprofloxacin..."

The situation regarding the empiric treatment of UTI is more complicated. Trimethoprime/sulfamethoxazole (Bactar in Thailand) used to be first choice (a long time ago),  this is debated now and you can find all kinds of advice regarding it. Many pharmacies in Thailand just don't carry it anymore. 

Nitrofurantoin is not very popular.

Fosfomycin is good,  but hard to get (I once bought the only available pack in all of Surin :))

De facto most doctors in Thailand prescribe amoxicillin, norfloxacin, ofloxacin or ciprofloxacin.

Self medicating is a bad idea, off course. My post was a response to lopburi, just explaining what ciprofloxacin often is used for. I do not endorse self-medicating with any antibiotics, very bad idea. 

9 minutes ago, uhuh said:

Self medicating is a bad idea, off course. My post was a response to lopburi, just explaining what ciprofloxacin often is used for. I do not endorse self-medicating with any antibiotics, very bad idea. 

And in my case had no symptoms or infection to treat - purely prophylactic.  Not a good experience.

Archived