Visa application requires flight booking?

This is just an idea, something I considered once but then did not need. What if you purchase a ticket from Thailand to some be like siem reap, one way? It should only cost about $25 USD. That way you be an exit ticket and if you don't use it, you're only out $25. Just a thought, don't know if it would work

I went to Thailand for 4 Months last year but I only applied for a SE tourist visa. The man at the Sydney Consulate who I gave my form to counted up the days and said "too long". I said yes I know but I will go by bus to Cambodia and then I will come back to Thailand and fly home later. He then said, can you show me funds in your bank account? I didn't have a print out but I got on my phones banking app and showed him sufficient funds to which he consulted another staff member and then said ok, my visa was granted.

This year I posted my application in and I supplied a flight out to Laos after my first 60 days and it was accepted no problem. I still do not have my return flight home though. When they issue the tourist visa they just want to see when you enter and when you exit. They don't really care where you go after that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hapy2rtire said:

This is just an idea, something I considered once but then did not need. What if you purchase a ticket from Thailand to some be like siem reap, one way? It should only cost about $25 USD. That way you be an exit ticket and if you don't use it, you're only out $25. Just a thought, don't know if it would work

I did this many time. One time they did not let me board in Munich so I bought exactly this flight to make them happy.

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 1

Just don't bother applying for a visa at a consulate. Just show up.

Depending on the nationality of your passport, you can get a visa on arrival in Thailand, without a return flight. Just show up. Latter you can go to immigration and pay to double your visa, again without a return flight. If you are planing on staying longer than that you have a whole different set of problems that also have nothing to do with a return flight. 

Edited by BenBen23

37 minutes ago, BenBen23 said:

Depending on the nationality of your passport, you can get a visa on arrival in Thailand,

Only those from 21 countries can apply for a 15 day visa on arrival that cannot be extended.

I think you are writing about a 30 day visa exempt entry that can be extended for 30 days at a immigration office.

A ticket out of the country within 30 days is requirement for a visa exempt entry.

I have booked a cheap flight before I received my 60 day tourist  Thia  visa from the embassy in London , always been approved as long as the paper work is all ok , getting a retirement visa this year so might not chance it ,and also if I get it will only need a single flight to Thialand , I can get a return flight  any time 

On 4/17/2019 at 5:14 PM, Tayaout said:

I did this many time. One time they did not let me board in Munich so I bought exactly this flight to make them happy.

$25 is a great price.

What airline are you using for this price, and flying out of what city in Thailand to Siem Riep?

On 4/16/2019 at 11:22 AM, Tayaout said:

Some Consulates take 3 days or more to process a visa tourist visa application. As these tickets expire after 48 hours it makes them useless if the Officer checks the validity. So easy to check too, as your surname and booking number is on the sheet in front of them. Something to think about.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cabrinha switchblade said:

just tried this , they want money but no flight details and only $17

Try to contact them. When I checked the website the first time there was not flight details and second times I could choose the destination and date. 

2 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

$25 is a great price.

What airline are you using for this price, and flying out of what city in Thailand to Siem Riep?

I did not say it was $25 but I was confirming that I wasted a lot of ticket like this in my life. Some might have been about $25 but the last I remember are more close to $60-100.

• Like 2