EU says it is ready to launch U.S. trade talks, but without agriculture

webfact

2 minutes ago, damascase said:

I can’t help wondering what the EU has done to you personally to make you respond every time in such a vicious and malicious way. 

He's under the impression that the UK will in no way be affected by the economic performance of the UK nations. Because, you know, the Channel. 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, damascase said:

I can’t help wondering what the EU has done to you personally to make you respond every time in such a vicious and malicious way. 

malagated has spend too much time on the terraces waving unionjacks in the air and singing god save the queen,if he is married to a thai up in issan and can just picture her in an england shirt,not sure if he dare make her get bulldog and unionjack tattoe's though,iam sure it wouldnt go down well with her "brothers" ????

I am very much against the eu as it's ultimate aim is to take away member countries sovereignty..once it does that..it's game over..you will have a united states of europe.
A free trading association was fine..but then treatys were signed..each treaty took away the power of parliament .
Face facts..over 70% of bills that go thro the UK parliament are a rubber stamping job for brussels.
Immigration..I saw my former home city going downhill when certain eu citizens arrived from eastern eu countries.
Drug crime increased..people trafficking..child prostitution..protection rackets etc etc.
That's why I want the UK out of the eu.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

There's no doubt that the eu has deliberately kept food prices artificially high.

I doubt that you can sustain this debate.

EU subsidizes (protects) its agriculture with taxes/levies on foreign produce.

This is no different to taxes/levies imposed by US in recent months.

Protectionist policies raise the price of home produced goods that do not compete price wise with imported goods.

So that is why food prices are high in EU and steel and more white goods are more expensive in US.

Protectionist policies are basically foolish. Your post is out there too

about 20 years ago, in the uk we had a twinning, with a french town. one of my guests was a french farmer, he had about 2 cows and a tractor. what we call a smallholding, said he had never been so rich with the EU throwing all sorts of subsidies at him. they were wasting money all those years ago

7 hours ago, Prissana Pescud said:

I doubt that you can sustain this debate.

EU subsidizes (protects) its agriculture with taxes/levies on foreign produce.

This is no different to taxes/levies imposed by US in recent months.

Protectionist policies raise the price of home produced goods that do not compete price wise with imported goods.

So that is why food prices are high in EU and steel and more white goods are more expensive in US.

Protectionist policies are basically foolish. Your post is out there too

I can’t imagine why any nation would wish to protect its farming industry.

Whatever gets into people’s heads with all this protectionism?!

Let other nations produce the food the UK needs. If British people can rely on foreigners to make their mobile phones, what’s the problem with relying on foreign nations for the UK’s food needs?

Food security is a concern of past generations, back when then were wars and stuff.

If British farmers can’t compete with the lowest price going let them go out of business, sell the farms to the Chinese - Britons are a pragmatic bunch, they’ll buy their turnips from overseas.

12 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Let other nations produce the food the UK needs. If British people can rely on foreigners to make their mobile phones, what’s the problem with relying on foreign nations for the UK’s food needs?

Food security is a concern of past generations, back when then were wars and stuff.

If British farmers can’t compete with the lowest price going let them go out of business, sell the farms to the Chinese - Britons are a pragmatic bunch, they’ll buy their turnips from overseas.

I guess it depends if those low prices are due to honest competition or because of subsidies from the nation producing those products. Subsidies can vanish.

56 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Food security, what an outmoded topic! Hahem....I wonder why other countries are still inesting a lot of money in food security strategies? It seems they fear there may not be enough agricultural resources for all, one day. What a stupid idea! ????

https://www.devex.com/news/understanding-china-s-foreign-agriculture-investments-in-the-developing-world-92639

On 4/16/2019 at 6:24 AM, bristolboy said:

Do you also hope it wipes the floor with the UK? Because if Brexit happens, you think the Trump is not going to demand that the UK open its markets to cheaper US agricultural products?

It's called Capitalism....a system we all derive great benefits from...….Mr. Corbyn's system will be available to you at the next election. Let the Americans send in their chlorinated chicken and hormone treated beef and let the great unwashed make the decision regarding which chicken or beef to buy.....British or American.

Why do you want to make decisions for other people...…...Americans may be dieing from obesity and old age but certainly not from eating chicken and beef. If they were they wouldn't do it.

19 hours ago, bomber said:

how do you work that out?  i know food in the UK would be quite higher if it weren't for the german supemarkets.

Correct,but that’s another matter. I do notice that in Aldi they do seem to be promoting many German products. Obviously at a cost to comparable British products. And at a major reduction in the choice of products available.

15 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Correct,but that’s another matter. I do notice that in Aldi they do seem to be promoting many German products. Obviously at a cost to comparable British products. And at a major reduction in the choice of products available.

Let me guess: you don’t have much clue about how the industry works (other than buying your groceries at Aldi maybe)?

22 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Are they bullying you to buy them???? your all things german paranoia shows no sign of slowing.

19 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Interestingly one of the arguments put forward in favor of EU farm subsidies is that they help protect traditional farming, traditional ways of life and local communities.

Odd that Brexiteers have a problem with that. 

The same can be said for steel and automobile tariffs.

19 hours ago, malagateddy said:

I am very much against the eu as it's ultimate aim is to take away member countries sovereignty..once it does that..it's game over..you will have a united states of europe.
A free trading association was fine..but then treatys were signed..each treaty took away the power of parliament .
Face facts..over 70% of bills that go thro the UK parliament are a rubber stamping job for brussels.
Immigration..I saw my former home city going downhill when certain eu citizens arrived from eastern eu countries.
Drug crime increased..people trafficking..child prostitution..protection rackets etc etc.
That's why I want the UK out of the eu.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

EU hasnt removed our parliaments sovereignty,hence brexit is being halted,and please dont try and tell us glasgow has never had drug crime and protection rackets,next you will be telling us its never had a drink problem ???? and that is being silly

1 hour ago, nontabury said:

a german company promoting german produce,whatever next ????   why dont you shop at marks and spencers instead and help your fellow bulldogs

On 4/16/2019 at 9:59 AM, Ulic said:

As both countries heavily subsidize agriculture my guess that is an easy one to take of the table for both countries. That said, with Trump, my subsidies don't count but yours do, so who knows. :tongue:

Another ridiculous assertion no doubt the result of Trump Derangement Syndrome.  Anyone with any knowledge of international trade knows the US has long been on the short end of the stick when it comes to trade barriers.

1 hour ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Let me guess: you don’t have much clue about how the industry works (other than buying your groceries at Aldi maybe)?

That’s where your wrong, one of my businesses was in supplying supermarkets.

49 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

Another ridiculous assertion no doubt the result of Trump Derangement Syndrome.  Anyone with any knowledge of international trade knows the US has long been on the short end of the stick when it comes to trade barriers.

They know it just the way Trump "knows" it. Just like he knows all of his 9000 plus publicly recorded falsehoods are true. That fact is that tariffs between the EU and the US range from mostly very low to nonexistent. The big 2 are automobiles and agriculture. In automobiles the US levies a 25 percent tariff on sports utility vehicles, known as the "chicken tax" from the EU.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax

Sports utility vehicles are by far the biggest sector of the consumer auto market. Currently they account for 35 percent of the passenger car market in the US and are projected to jump to 50 percent by 2020.

https://qz.com/1344537/by-2020-suvs-could-make-up-50-of-us-car-sales/

2 hours ago, tlandtday said:

Yes, the mighty US let itself get shafted until the orange clown appeared and righted the wrongs!:crazy:

23 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Interestingly one of the arguments put forward in favor of EU farm subsidies is that they help protect traditional farming, traditional ways of life and local communities.

Odd that Brexiteers have a problem with that. 

I'm not a Brexiteer, but I have a problem with that.  To get a sense of why, replace "traditional farming" with "traditional medicine".  

I don't understand why people continue to romanticize farming methods of yesteryear.  Thirty percent of the population worked as laborers earning a pittance, weeding was done by hand, farmers dumped lead and arsenic compounds on their crops, lest pests devour half their yield.  And did you ever try hand-milking a cow?  Granted I was only a teenagwer at the time, but my hands cramped up after the third teet.  

If there is any place where we need technology and modernization to realize the economies of scale that are going to efficiently feed ten billion people, it's on the farm.

2 minutes ago, attrayant said:

I have a problem with that.  To get a sense of why, replace "traditional farming" with "traditional medicine".  

I don't understand why people continue to romanticize farming methods of yesteryear.  Thirty percent of the population worked as laborers earning a pittance, weeding was done by hand, farmers dumped lead and arsenic compounds on their crops, lest pests devour half their yield.  And did you ever try hand-milking a cow?  Granted I was only a teenagwer at the time, but my hands cramped up after the third teet.  

If there is any place where we need technology and modernization to realize the economies of scale that are going to efficiently feed ten billion people, it's on the farm.

Yes Malthus (I think that's right) was the guy who said that increasing population would mean that we all starved, but in fact agricultural advances proved him hopelessly wrong. I don't think though that we are necessarily romanticizing the farming methods of yesteryear. It is simply a fact that you can't do much with Scottish uplands apart from feed sheep. Cows in the Swiss Alps is a similar story. If we want to subsidize this kind of agriculture it is surely our choice, we are not talking about armies of peasants hoeing the rows, nowadays even the shepherd  dogs get a lift to work on the quad bikes. The EU CAP is certainly bloated, but if we don't wan't eat anything coming from the US - crap food or not - why should we have to.

EU seem to be the only player for good, which still have the balls to say no to the bad agricultural practises in the whole world.

Others, hopefully, will follow the suite. 

Life is not always about making fast money. Life is more about enjoying the journey. 

That's the difference between European thinking and pretty much the rest of the world. 

On personal note. Folks in South America, do understand life, way better than we Europeans do. 

13 hours ago, Nigel Garvie said:

if we don't wan't eat anything coming from the US - crap food or not - why should we have to.

You make it sound as though shiploads of Big Macs are arriving at EU ports, to the disgust of Europeans.

Archived