is the fumigation harmful especialy with no warning?

zoza

I have lived here for Five years and although in the main it is a good place, there are somethings

I have my doubts about, my main concern is the Fumigation, that is done about every ten days or

so? it reaches up to about the third floor of the Condo building, I have asked the missus if there

is any warning posters about the day and time of the fumigation as there is no other, but she says

no, nothing in Thai, I have taken pictures of the operation and I cannot see out of our balcony as

the smoke is so thick, we take everything that might be on the balcony inside before the smoke

gets to us,if we can, as a precaution but there are obviously days when we are not here.

the lads who do the fumigation do wear face masks but I am not sure of their effectiveness

plus there are lots of windows that are open in our building so I imagine with the breeze in the

right direction we will get this smoke inside the building. I know we all have to die of something

but is this a bit reckless with no prior warnings, I see tourists marching towards these smoke

filled areas and I wonder if they realise what they are breathing in. 

Are you talking about mosquito fogging?  As with any type of pesticide application, the dose makes the poison.  Applicators aim to deliver the appropriate concentration that will reduce the disease-carrying mosquito population while causing no significant harm to humans.  Personally, the "fog" gives me itchy eyes for a few minutes and I think it stinks, but I'm willing to endure that if it means a reduction in deaths from malaria and dengue.

12 minutes ago, attrayant said:

Are you talking about mosquito fogging?  As with any type of pesticide application, the dose makes the poison.  Applicators aim to deliver the appropriate concentration that will reduce the disease-carrying mosquito population while causing no significant harm to humans.  Personally, the "fog" gives me itchy eyes for a few minutes and I think it stinks, but I'm willing to endure that if it means a reduction in deaths from malaria and dengue.

Thanks, glad to hear this ''Fog'' is not harmful to people, as I already

have 1/3 of one lung missing so I cannot afford to take a chance.

I would not assume it is harmless. It's not going to kill you on contact (if it did there'd be a lot of vacant apartments in your building!) but it would be prudent to limit your exposure.

Safety precautions are not a Thai "thing" to say the least.

Since nothing is posted, talk to the workers or management to find out the schedule and close your windows etc in advance.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived