American, Thai partner in hiding, fearful of charges for seastead south of Phuket

webfact

American, Thai partner in hiding, fearful of charges for seastead south of Phuket

By The Phuket News

1555404588_5216-org.jpg

The Royal Thai Navy inspected the seastead, which they assert is in Thai sovereign waters and have filed criminal charges for. Photo: Royal Thai Navy

PHUKET: An American man and his Thai partner say they are in hiding from Thai authorities and are fearful for their lives after the Royal Thai Navy filed a police complaint against them over a “seastead” living platform built in the waters more than 40 kilometres south of Phuket.

The Royal Thai Navy last Friday (Apr 12) filed a criminal charge with the Wichit Police of the couple breaching Section 119 of Criminal Code, reported the Bangkok Post on Saturday. 

The section concerns any acts that cause the country or parts of it to fall under the sovereignty of a foreign state or deterioration of the state’s independence. It is punishable by death or life imprisonment.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/american-thai-partner-in-hiding-fearful-of-charges-for-seastead-south-of-phuket-71114.php#3Z4SvsOmsYebB0b0.99

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-04-16

Fearful of their lives?

Come on, there is a charge, most likely a fine, end of.
Didn't you read the

"The section concerns any acts that cause the country or parts of it to fall under the sovereignty of a foreign state or deterioration of the state’s independence. It is punishable by death or life imprisonment."

Death or life imprisonment !

8 minutes ago, johng said:

Didn't you read the

"The section concerns any acts that cause the country or parts of it to fall under the sovereignty of a foreign state or deterioration of the state’s independence. It is punishable by death or life imprisonment."

Death or life imprisonment !

Yes, read that. But no way something like that would happen.

16 minutes ago, Oziex1 said:

What would you do on a seasteade all day?  

Pray & Prepare an evacuation plan? as that pathetic structure wouldn't have lasted five minutes in a storm :cool:

2 minutes ago, CGW said:

Pray & Prepare an evacuation plan? as that pathetic structure wouldn't have lasted five minutes in a storm :cool:

I'm sure you're correct but I think they were looking for an offshore address for tax purposes.????

Well, if - if - it really is in international waters, did he and the wife go to immigration and get an exit and entry stamp in their passports every time they went there? No? Illegal exit and entry every time... can't have it both ways, just sayin'.... 

2 hours ago, webfact said:

any acts that cause the country or parts of it to fall under the sovereignty of a foreign state

Does that mean they will kill us for flying the American Flag outside our condo door?  I often told the X wife that inside our Condo, it is America and we will make decisions like Americans, not Thais.

46 minutes ago, ukrules said:

The guy was just staying there, it wasn't his - it belongs to these people, they clarify the situation here :

https://ocean.builders/official-statement-about-the-sinking-of-the-first-seastead/

'Elwar' was using it like a hotel.....

I probably would have been more apologetic in the issued statement if they are hoping for an easy out here.  

1 hour ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

Does that mean they will kill us for flying the American Flag outside our condo door?  I often told the X wife that inside our Condo, it is America and we will make decisions like Americans, not Thais.

I can probably see why she became the ex-

According to the Ocean Builders website, "Seasteading is the concept of creating permanent dwellings at sea, called seasteads, outside the territory claimed by any government. The term is a combination of the words sea and homesteading."

So, seasteading Thai style.

seasteading.jpg.172580b16ee2649c1ea418fabad7aa82.jpg

Seasteading, PI style.

1258636347_seasteadingpi.jpg.ac1994648b6697be9e34811ceb8f2a2a.jpg

And seasteading like a Chinese boss.

876539061_seasteadingcn.jpg.e6197919c49be7613096e554b0096604.jpg

4 hours ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

Wake up.

I think reality finally kicked in, and they realized just how dismal and impractical a lifestyle choice they had made with no real variety of scenery, little choice of activities, no access to emergency facilities, little choice of food alternatives, ............and I could go on and on with a multitude of reasons why to me it's an absurd idea.

It's a form of self-imposed prison, IMO. There's so much to see in the world and so many people to interact with that to choose to isolate oneself from all that makes life what life truly embraces is too far removed from normalcy for my imagination. I guess the ultimate hermit could be content, but these young people were probably happy to abandon their dubious and likely dangerous idea.   

23 minutes ago, Inn Between said:

I think reality finally kicked in, and they realized just how dismal and impractical a lifestyle choice they had made with no real variety of scenery, little choice of activities, no access to emergency facilities, little choice of food alternatives, ............and I could go on and on with a multitude of reasons why to me it's an absurd idea.

It's a form of self-imposed prison, IMO. There's so much to see in the world and so many people to interact with that to choose to isolate oneself from all that makes life what life truly embraces is too far removed from normalcy for my imagination. I guess the ultimate hermit could be content, but these young people were probably happy to abandon their dubious and likely dangerous idea.   

I hope the hundreds of thousands of yachties, traditional sea village tribes, rig workers, sea gypsies, never ending cruisers, dwellers on tiny offshore islands, sampan dwellers, European house boat and canal boat dwellers, etc., etc.,  never have to share the shallowness of your imagination.

sea dwellers.jpgsea village.jpg

7 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

I hope the hundreds of thousands of yachties, traditional sea village tribes, rig workers, sea gypsies, never ending cruisers, dwellers on tiny offshore islands, sampan dwellers, European house boat and canal boat dwellers, etc., etc.,  never have to share the shallowness of your imagination.

sea dwellers.jpgsea village.jpg

LMAO

The pictures you show are NOTHING at all compared to that sad little glorified tent sitting in complete isolation. 

I'm not going to waste any time with a response to your pretty pictures that are NOTHING AT ALL like the situation those young people were in. 

If you had actually read the website, and watched all the YouTube clips, not just the one with the interview of the naïve couple, you would have a greater understanding of the project you call a "sad little glorified tent". You would be aware it is just a prototype for a much larger planned community. A little research on the concept wouldn't go astray.

Everything has to start small somewhere. As I stated in the very first thread about this, their biggest problems will always be about Thai officialdom. Their site ticked a lot of boxes geographically, but was a dismal choice politically.

14 hours ago, ukrules said:

The guy was just staying there, it wasn't his - it belongs to these people, they clarify the situation here :

https://ocean.builders/official-statement-about-the-sinking-of-the-first-seastead/

'Elwar' was using it like a hotel.....

Interesting.  Sounds like some disgruntled business who didn't do their homework and are slowly realizing that their business model may be flawed.  Thailand isn't the only country with laws governing their coastal waters.  

The strange thing is....the Thai girl's name.  Nadia Summergirl?  5555555 

Archived