Permission to stay using monthly payments

I was told by Bangkok Bank in Chiangmai when providing 2 credit notes  for Bahtnet routed income from abroad that they are not  acceptable to immigration despite them showing original source, intermediary bank and account credited and that Bangkok Bank could not/would not provide letters confirming the funds from abroad.

Make sense of that. A trip to immigration required after post Songkran rush dies down but I hold little hope of getting any sense from that outing either.

6 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Seems like immigration is trying to push everyone to use the 800k/400k method. Understandable, as this is the most straightforward way for them and doesn’t necessitate much checking on their part.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Well, that used to be true but now they want to see there is always 400 K in there, and you still must pre season and post season the 800k a bit from what I have read. 

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That is first time I have heard of an office wanting that.

You ask your bank to write the letter stating the monthly transfers were international transfers.

Would not a 12 month bank statement showing monthly foreign stated/coded 65k transfers from the bank and a corresponding bank letter confirming balance work?...

Or is there some special written bank letter and if so can someone post an example of this bank letter?...

Edited by sfokevin
  • Like 2

Just to let everyone know Transferwise will route all transfers through Bangkok Bank showing up as an International Transfer in your BB bank book and will print you out a Credit Advice at your own branch showing the routing. You just have to ask them.

• Like 1

Just to let everyone know Transferwise will route all transfers through Bangkok Bank showing up as an International Transfer in your BB bank book and will print you out a Credit Advice at your own branch showing the routing. You just have to ask them.
you send them an email each time to use local partner Bangkok Bank?

33 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

I sincerely hope this is working for everyone else, it isn't for me. All four transfers shown were sent via TransferWise with the exact same procedure. Two international and two via SMART. This is the online statement but my passbook shows the same of course. Haven't spoken to the bank to see if they can confirm they are all international. Will be going soon as it's due middle next month.

Screenshot (8).png

Anticipating that Bangkok bank NYC will reject my next scheduled monthly transfer of $2200.00 from Fidelity (both Bangkok Bank and Fidelity have confirmed they do not use the IAT format, I tested transfers via Transferwise). Two transfers came through directly deposited to my Bangkok Bank here in Thailand as FTT denoting foreign transfers. The real test comes in June when I apply for a Retirement Visa Extension. If not accepted, I will pack up and leave to spend my retirement monthly income in another country ... as has oft been said in Thailand, "up to you".

• Like 2

5 hours ago, billsmart said:

The Phetchabun office informs me that monthly deposits shown in my bank book and verified with a letter from the bank will be sufficient through 2019. I specifically asked them about whether they had to be international deposits (because Transferwise deposits show up at my bank as domestic deposits from Thai Military Bank) and if they their source had to be a pension, and if so, what kind of pension (national government, local government, government program (like a school teacher's pension), private company, or from a privately held retirement account (USA calls them "IRAs"), but again, they didn't have an answer, so just any source will do for Petchabun in 2019. BUT, they advised me that starting in 2020, the only income-related documentation they would accept is a letter from your embassy (which my embassy, USA, is no longer giving), so the only method I will be able to use will be the THB800K in the bank method.

Of course, if you're married, you can always revert to an extension based on Thai wife/husband which requires a lot more paperwork, but only THB400K in the bank.

That's my local Immigration Office's (Phetchabun) story as of today, but I fully expect it to go through a lot of changes over the next months. ☹️

That's why, for at least a couple of years, if you can, the money in the bank method is probably the easiest way to go. Maybe at some point in the future the variations on implementation of the income method will become relatively more apparent and consistent, if not nationally, maybe at least at the office we each use. 

Or maybe our embassies will decide to reinstate some kind of income statement that immigrations would agree was sufficient.

sarcasm.jpg.9b161ad3b6cb3485e1d189192eeb2363.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
20 hours ago, chilly07 said:

you send them an email each time to use local partner Bangkok Bank?

You can ask them to set up a recipient tagged as always routed via BB to your BB account and then just use that recipient. Then you don't need to email each time.

• Like 2

The number of foreigners over 50 who have applied for retirement visas to stay in Thailand almost doubled to nearly 73,000 in 2017 from fewer than 40,000 in 2013, according to immigration bureau data.Apr 10, 2018
21 hours ago, hargri said:

I sincerely hope this is working for everyone else, it isn't for me. All four transfers shown were sent via TransferWise with the exact same procedure. Two international and two via SMART. This is the online statement but my passbook shows the same of course. Haven't spoken to the bank to see if they can confirm they are all international. Will be going soon as it's due middle next month.

Screenshot (8).png

What a nightmare for you to keep track of all these transactions. And what a nightmare for Immigration Officer that has to try and see if you're following the rules or just another farang that been breaking the law for years and now is trying to continue live in Thailand without having the required income. 

I visited my branch of the Krungthai bank today and they emailed me details of all International Credits from 1st January 2019 showing date received in Thailand, UK bank, Sterling amount, Exchange rate, any Thai fees and amount in baht credited. This will now be done for all future international credits.

The only missing information is whether the credit is pension income. As my next extension will be based on marriage this will not be a problem.