TOPS

bikerlou47

If you object to the cashier, s/he will check on it.  If they have mistakenly charged you will sometimes get it for free if you involve a manager.  At the least, you get the correct price.

19 hours ago, metisdead said:

Do you have a Tops member card?  The sales/promotions they show throughout the store do not apply to non-members.  If you do have a member card and they did this to you, something is definitely wrong.

Nobody brings their membercard to Tops...they have to tell it to the cashier, make some mistakes in it (long number), try it again and finally YES it works...in the meantime there's a long queue at every cashier wasting the customers' time.

I really hate TOPS...you also have to check the expiry date of every single product or you'll buy eggs which are almost expired.

• Haha 1

I have always had the item for free in Tops if the price is wrong, Big C used to do it but not now. Foodland is the best shop- every food item is price tagged so there is never any argument, that's the price.

Edited by Orton Rd
  • Like 1

Nobody brings their membercard to Tops...they have to tell it to the cashier, make some mistakes in it (long number), try it again and finally YES it works...in the meantime there's a long queue at every cashier wasting the customers' time.

I really hate TOPS...you also have to check the expiry date of every single product or you'll buy eggs which are almost expired.

How many days do eggs have before they expire?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Uh, those people are giving their mobile 'phone number - not their membership card number.  Hardly difficult to remember.

Being able to quote your phone number in Thai I have found is also quite useful
However if that’s not possible maybe consider only going shopping with your wife lol

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

ah, tops... i wish they'd ensure special offers advertised on the shelves are programmed into the cash tills - check your receipt when buying special offers as more often than not they charge you the full price. then when you raise the issue with the staff they act all unaware...

they close the bakery cash till and put a sign to pay at the nearest other till, but when you go there the cashier has to take the bakery good back to the bakery till to process...

and their current 'one day a month' going plastic bag less is a joke.

tops stores are managed by idiots.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Celer et Audax said:

However if that’s not possible maybe consider only going shopping with your wife lol

Homophobic muchly, methinks.

Not everybody is an heterosexual male with a prostitute an ex-bar girl in tow.

And some people are even women who don't have wives!

I do not store shop much but have found Tops delivery to be much more reliable for having advertised stock than Lotus delivery and much better at being on time here in Bangkok.  On many items I buy the Tops price is also better lately.  Agree Tops stores I have used are more 7/11 than supermarket shopping experience.  

4 hours ago, Pravda said:

You just punch the number on the keypad. Jeez, people should go back to their nanny state....bring a wife to say the number? Just how useless......

You ain't seen nothin' yet... ????

11 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

I bought macaroni and cheese once there and later found out it was a year past due.

they gave you the in-house mature cheddar cheese variety... it's usually more expensive than the standard version so a win for you... ???? 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, tlandtday said:

I bought macaroni and cheese once there and later found out it was a year past due.

Are you sure it was the past due date?  Sometimes hard to know if production or 'best by' and dates can be in various forms making it even harder.  But in any case item like that should be good long after expiration date.  That is fallout bunker food.

Canned goods and shelf-stable foods like boxed macaroni-and-cheese have greater latitude than their perishable cousins. Unopened, they can be eaten a year or two past their expiration dates, although there have been more extreme examples.

11 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Tops is like almost every other Thai managed company. 

Beststrategy in Thailand is to simply eat less and transact less. Most stuff on sale is unhealthy junk anyway. 

Silly generalization.  If you have a problem be specific. 

I have 3 problems with Tops.  1.  The stuff in the freezers has all been re frozen.  You can tell by the ice in the bags (thaw and then freeze again).  All the freezers all the products must turn the temp down at some point to save money.  2.  Slicer in deli never sharpened so can't slice thin.  My wife won't let me show them how to sharpen it.  3.  All the bakery products dry as a result of over baking.

I'd send an email if anyone has the man in charge in Thailand's email address. 

I have 3 problems with Tops.  1.  The stuff in the freezers has all been re frozen.  You can tell by the ice in the bags (thaw and then freeze again).  All the freezers all the products must turn the temp down at some point to save money.  2.  Slicer in deli never sharpened so can't slice thin.  My wife won't let me show them how to sharpen it.  3.  All the bakery products dry as a result of over baking.

IMG_1547.JPG
  • Haha 1

I go to Tops Chidlom the clientele of which includes more foreigners than other Tops locations.  So, they have a good variety of the imported items that I am looking for.  I think they are an excellent store.  Deliveries are free for orders over ฿1500 and always on time without ever losing anything.  The cashier is always willing to check the wad of coupons I hand her, which I am not.  

The bakery is especially good for euro-style breads.  I never buy frozen food.  I pay by US credit card and they always charge me in THB without my having to insist.

• Like 1

1. 1 minute ago, cmarshall said:
    1. I think they are an excellent store.  Deliveries are free for orders over ฿1500 and always on time without ever losing anything.

That must be buying in store - if you use website order/delivery is free at 888 baht normally - and sometimes free for any.  

43 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Silly generalization.  If you have a problem be specific. 

To be specific, poorly run. 

45 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Silly issues you list. If you don't like shopping there, shop elsewhere. 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2019 at 8:50 PM, Oxx said:

Uh, those people are giving their mobile 'phone number - not their membership card number.  Hardly difficult to remember.

But difficult for the cashier to get right, sometimes they take 4 goes, even when the Mrs is giving them the digits. Big C is worse, at least TOPS have a number pad that you can put the numbers in for yourself.