TOPS

bikerlou47

On 4/19/2019 at 10:27 AM, smutcakes said:

Tops. I believe Siam Futures who own Market Place (as well as J Avenue, Mega Bangna and others) are planning to redevelop the property into office and mixed use. Not sure who told me that, just a rumor i heard. I can definitely believe commercially there are better uses for a site like that in that location.

Ah bummer, that would be a shame - I love Tops Thonglor.

But it makes sense and sounds like it's probably true.  Mama Do restaurant on the second floor has closed and moved to J Avenue so I guess they are running all the leases out.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2019 at 2:23 PM, fruitman said:

Nobody brings their membercard to Tops...they have to tell it to the cashier, make some mistakes in it (long number), try it again and finally YES it works...in the meantime there's a long queue at every cashier wasting the customers' time.

I really hate TOPS...you also have to check the expiry date of every single product or you'll buy eggs which are almost expired.

"Nobody brings their member card to Tops."  You think !  Why not ? I keep mine in my wallet with my other loyalty cards. Why have the cards if you don't use them ?

You don't need to bring your member loyalty card to any place that offers them.  Just raffle off your phone number in Thai and the cashier can bring up your cardholder info.  In fact, if someone asks me my phone number, I can do it automatically in Thai -- I have to think about it and translate in my head to tell someone my phone number in English.

• Like 2

I use this app, which lets you scan your member cards into your phone and tidies up the barcode so it can easily be scanned at the checkout.  It has most of the Thailand businesses in it as well, including the One Card for Tops, and a bunch more not shown here.

Image result for stocard thailand

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.stocard.stocard&hl=en

So back to the OP, I really like Top's.

I think their loyalty program can't be beaten, especially when you compare it to the likes of Lotus, where you can spend ฿100K and get ฿10 back. 

Tops gives great cash back coupons, worth real money!

I had an incident at the Thonglor branch where the same thing happened, I complained to the cashier, I was sent over to customer service, they agreed the advertised price on the shelf, then gave me the item at zero cost, since they said that was their policy for incorrectly priced items

Tops. I believe Siam Futures who own Market Place (as well as J Avenue, Mega Bangna and others) are planning to redevelop the property into office and mixed use. Not sure who told me that, just a rumor i heard. I can definitely believe commercially there are better uses for a site like that in that location.
OMG. Where will all the young hisos park their Ferraris and Lamborghinis?

Sent from my SM-C710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

"Nobody brings their member card to Tops."  You think !  Why not ? I keep mine in my wallet with my other loyalty cards. Why have the cards if you don't use them ?
I never take my member card. I just give them my telephone number in Thai. No problems.

Sometimes the cashier wants to practice English, so I smile and speak English to them.

Mostly I am the only Farang, in daytime, at Tops Thonglor. 

Polite staff. 

Polite and helpful at Foodland Thonglor;

always somebody to put my purchased stuff in my own shop bag. 

Mostly I am the only Farang, in daytime, at Tops Thonglor. 

Polite staff. 

Polite and helpful at Foodland Thonglor;
always somebody to put my purchased stuff in my own shop bag. 
Uhm how come I never bump into you?[emoji16]

Yes, I agree with you. The staff are very friendly. They used to have a few problems about pricing mistakes, but they were always sorted out in a friendly manner.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/19/2019 at 8:29 AM, Orton Rd said:

But difficult for the cashier to get right, sometimes they take 4 goes, even when the Mrs is giving them the digits. Big C is worse, at least TOPS have a number pad that you can put the numbers in for yourself.

Talking of Big C, I was in there today and the cashier wanted my passport number to give me a discount. I couldn't work out why she needed that, why she'd already scanned my Big C card. I gave her my pink Thai ID card number instead.

It wasn't until I got home I realised that I didn't get the discount.

I called the Big C call centre to ask about it. They said they needed ID in order to give me back some of the money I'd already spent with them. Apparently some customers have been using other customer's Big C cards?

The very helpful girl at the call centre spoke excellent English and asked for my ID so they could update my details. I gave her my Thai ID again.

She called back later and said the ID number kept being rejected for some reason (checksum failure?), so checked it with me again. I had given her the correct number.

She asked if I could email them a copy of my Thai ID, passport, and Big C card. I said I decided it wasn't such a good idea for a company to request so much personal information, especially as I was a customer spending my money in their store, and they didn't need all this information.

Ended up that they'll keep an old passport number (I gave them years ago when I applied for the Big C card) on file and to use that number.

There seems to be so many companies wanting too much personal information in order to buy their products.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Talking of Big C, I was in there today and the cashier wanted my passport number to give me a discount. I couldn't work out why she needed that, why she'd already scanned my Big C card. I gave her my pink Thai ID card number instead.

I called the Big C call centre to ask about it. They said they needed ID in order to give me back some of the money I'd already spent with them. Apparently some customers have been using other customer's Big C cards?

The very helpful girl at the call centre spoke excellent English and asked for my ID so they could update my details. I gave her my Thai ID again.

She called back later and said the ID number kept being rejected for some reason (checksum failure?), so checked it with me again. I had given her the correct number.

She asked if I could email them a copy of my Thai ID, passport, and Big C card. I said I decided it wasn't such a good idea for a company to request so much personal information, especially as I was a customer spending my money in their store, and they didn't need all this information.

Ended up that they'll keep an old passport number (I gave them years ago when I applied for the Big C card) on file and to use that number.

There seems to be so many companies wanting too much personal information in order to buy their products.

They have to keep more than one eye on us evil Farangs you know !

Just go to update your name and ID number with the pink card at BigC customer service. No need for old passport. When your data is changed on membership card you will get a sms confirmation.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app