Removing Asbestos Ceiling

Beggar

Are you quite sure that the ceiling material contains asbestos? (a lot has definitely been used in the past)

If it's not damaged and dropping dust it will remain safe (if painted) pretty much forever, but removing it is of course a better option.

SGS do offer an identification and removal service, but it's not going to be cheap and really seems to be aimed at commercial properties but they may be able to point you at a local contractor who will do a small job 

https://www.sgs.co.th/en/environment/air-noise-odor-and-vibration/laboratory-analysis/asbestos-identification

On a related front, my parent's place in the UK (assisted living flats) has an old boiler in the basement, asbestos insulation was identified. The cost to remove it was astronomical, the alternative solution proposed was to simply seal up that room.

Thai health and safety... remove an Asbestos ceiling with a hammer and likely not even a mask. Is it ignorance or do they just not care?

You might get away with it at the time but the latent effects of Asbestosis can return many years later and kill you.

3 types of asbestos blue the most hazardous used it train carriages heater lagging in the past brown not so much used and don't touch either of them and white in corrugated sheet form for roofs or flat panels when you remove it keep it wet "soaking" use a respirator avoid breaking it up hose and hover the area I spent 4 years removing all types mainly blue from trains and still alive ???? 

12 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

Are you 100% certain it contains asbestos? More likely to be 'Fiber Cement Board'.

This would be nice. The building is about 30 years old and a construction boss told me this is Aspestos and in the next sentence that they will use the hammer. I wished he is not right. 

36 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Are you quite sure that the ceiling material contains asbestos? (a lot has definitely been used in the past)

If it's not damaged and dropping dust it will remain safe (if painted) pretty much forever, but removing it is of course a better option.

SGS do offer an identification and removal service, but it's not going to be cheap and really seems to be aimed at commercial properties but they may be able to point you at a local contractor who will do a small job 

I will try to contact them. Perhaps they know someone here in Pattaya. But even if so you never know what you get... 

Just now, Beggar said:

I will try to contact them. Perhaps they know someone here in Pattaya. But even if so you never know what you get... 

One day while living on the Dark Side, I came out of my home office to see a "handyman" ascending the stairs from the kitchen to the main living room.  In his hands was my 200 Dollars Wusthof 12" inch chefs knife.

Watching any Thai hold a knife is always alarming, but I became even more alarmed to find out his intention.

He took the knife from the drawer intending to cut a nail that he had hammered into the wrong wall.  He didn't want to crumble the wall so he figured he would cut it off.

With my 200 Dollar chef's knife. 

Stupid is as stupid does.  

My now x-wife was part of the equation, she watched him take it.  That's the guy who is going to remove your asbestos.

4 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

A picture may be a useful idea????

It is painted. One day a very small piece was removed. There where tiny fibers coming out at the edges where it was broken off. Didn't take a picture.

If it is asbestos I have always been told it is better to encase it rather than remove it.  Once you start smashing the asbestos the tiny fibers are released and remain to be breathed in.  You also have the problem of how to safely dispose it.  If encased it is sealed into place and does not release the dangerous fibers. 

40 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

If it is asbestos I have always been told it is better to encase it rather than remove it.  Once you start smashing the asbestos the tiny fibers are released and remain to be breathed in.  You also have the problem of how to safely dispose it.  If encased it is sealed into place and does not release the dangerous fibers. 

I have to remove it because otherwise pipes running there can't be reached. I am aware of the the dangers. The best thing is that I am above 60 and it will hopefully take some time to develop the deadliest of all lung cancers ????

15 hours ago, Thomas J said:

You also have the problem of how to safely dispose it. 

It will more than likely just go into landfill or be dumped on the side of the road as is most rubbish in Thailand.

N95 mask, goggles and an all in one overall. Just try not to break it into pieces. If you are over 50 you can probably skip the mask etc. A lot of people often confuse some of the Thai fibre cement for Asbestos. Be careful and bag it up as you remove it.

19 hours ago, Beggar said:

I have to remove it because otherwise pipes running there can't be reached. I am aware of the the dangers. The best thing is that I am above 60 and it will hopefully take some time to develop the deadliest of all lung cancers ????

Wear a good mask and keep it wet, bag up and dispose.

19 hours ago, Beggar said:

On a serious note... a family friend worked for less than six months installing seating upholstery in trains in the early sixties, working without a mask while breathing in asbestos dust used in the insulation(?) being fitted at the same time. He died of mesothelioma about twenty years later ????

It really depends on what kind of asbestos it is. If white remove wet should be OK.

If grey get a contractor to remove while you & your family are on an away holiday

I doubt that there will be much of the deadly grey in Thailand most came from Australia 

although Hardys in KL used for many years but a long time ago

12 minutes ago, natway09 said:

If grey get a contractor to remove while you & your family are on an away holiday

There will be no easy fix - I knew it anyway. Of course you can leave the condo while they do their job. But this doesn't guarantee that they do a good job and that you don't have the Aspestos fibers everywhere in your condo afterwards. It is a bad situation since 1 Aspestos fiber might be enough already. On the other hand it is also true that not everyone who has/had contact to fibers will develop cancer. Otherwise the graveyards would be full of construction workers and other people who had contact - Aspestos was used very much in the past. I am afraid the safest fix would be to sell the condo. The only other option is to remove it as good as possible and not think too much about it. Not sure if I can do this.

2 hours ago, Beggar said:

Not sure if I can do this.

You need a goggle, at least a N-95 mask, use a good quality motorcycle rain poncho to cover your body and at least a pair of latex gloves. 

Spray the panels by water, but make sure there is no electrical junction or socket around the area that you spray water. Pick the best panel 1st (one with no visible damage and if looks more free to come out of it’s frame easier than others. Remove the one first and carefully. Look inside the space (between panels and the ceiling) if there is no electrical box or other wires then spray all panels from above, especially corners and edges. Then get all panels out. You need to wash or clean the edges of frames from possible left fibers. 

Make all you may need ready before you start the work.

Not easy, it depends on your working space and other conditions.

good luck 

Suit & mask up, Spray it, remove & bag it & clean properly afterwards. The disposal method we used to use before health & safety went mad back in the UK was put it at the bottom of somewhere that youre going to concrete.... 

photo please. I just replace my 30 year old ceiling tiles...i was more concerned about the dust up there, than the actual tiles.  80, 60x60 tiles...paid 500 thb to the condo to dispose.  I think they will re-use half of them...old t-bar ceiling.  You likely only have 2-3 square meters...I would wear a mask and gloves, and not worry about it.  I even like the open ceiling, but the tbar gives good noise protection.

Probably 10 tons of the stuff at the WH or Buckingham Palace...how old is the old hag now?

Wear the proper gear if u must remove it . Typically asbestosis normally takes 20 years to be fatal so if u think you'll be long gone before that , go for it . N-95 mask for asbestos stripping is as good as a chocolate ashtray . 

20190417_121212.jpg

45 minutes ago, moontang said:

photo please. I just replace my 30 year old ceiling tiles...i was more concerned about the dust up there, than the actual tiles.  80, 60x60 tiles...paid 500 thb to the condo to dispose.  I think they will re-use half of them...old t-bar ceiling.  You likely only have 2-3 square meters...I would wear a mask and gloves, and not worry about it.  I even like the open ceiling, but the tbar gives good noise protection.

They are nailed and glued to a big wooden frame. Impossible to remove them without destroying them. Sorry for the double photo. Could not remove one. 

20190417_181907.jpg

20190417_181907.jpg

23 hours ago, Beggar said:

maybe talk some more with sammie after his post. I have had a fair bit of experience in Oz with asbestos in many forms in houses, not commercial buildings.

It takes a a few fibres only to start the process of killing you or someone else down the track.

The way we were trained to remove was this:

Do not listen to people here who use words like "smash" asbestos. It must be done (as sammie said) with mist spray to keep all of it moist so fibres are not released, or minimised to the smallest percentile (this wetting down process is best done by two people one with a large decent flow rate pump spray or a mains water hose with trigger nozzle setup with the other person designated as the remover ... Absolute MINIMUM DISTURBANCE of sheeting must be your priority throughout with controlled removal informing every step of your work. 

i.e. Lever away sheets carefully at fixing points NEVER bash and shatter sheets if at all possible but if sheets break apply spray the break line and edges as they break IMMEDIATELY to 'flatten' down any silicate fibres.

Controlled cracking of sheets into manageable pieces is safe if done slowly in the breaking and cracking process, with sufficient moisture applied as sheets are cracked, removed and pieces immediately bagged or carefully placed onto builders plastic sheeting for later wrapping.

Wear disposable hazmat suits before entering contaminated area (carefully take off and dispose of same into bags AFTER LEAVING the work area.

If you use builders plastic wrapping sheeting to lay and seal asbestos pieces into) make up manageable sized 'packets' of pieces of asbestos fold edges of plastic over and seal with duct tape or equivalent ... seal all seams well so no dust can 'puff' out when moving loads for disposal.

Wear high quality respirator mask (with CORRECT FILTERS) up until the point of asbestos removal from site (if done by a contractor).

You MUST ensure with as much care that these bags or packets won't break open during handling and transport.

Make sure waste material is disposed of at designated asbestos treatment facility.

DO NOT remove respirator until completely clear of work area ... removed hazmat suits and shoe coverings FIRST (and disposed of into bag) ... wash yourself down (hair included) THEN remove mask and dispose of filters and thoroughly wash the mask and dry before refitting with new filters for next use. 

Use new disposable hazmat suits each day you work.

Remove clothing at each working days end and place into small bag, then gently, carefully into washing machine, and if wanting to be really careful reuse machine after emptying with a new wash cycle to flush washing machine through with completely fresh water.

This removal and cleanup process while detailed and time consuming, is both recommended and mandatory in Oz. Follow this and you'll be safe as the house will be after removal and re-sheeting and sealing is done and cleanup is completed.

Archived