BANGKOK 25 April 2019 23:22
Beggar

Removing Asbestos Ceiling

In my bathroom I still have an Asbestos ceiling. Any ideas how this can be removed safely? Are here any companies specialized in this? The companies I have talked to so far will use the hammer to destroy it... 

Are you quite sure that the ceiling material contains asbestos? (a lot has definitely been used in the past)

If it's not damaged and dropping dust it will remain safe (if painted) pretty much forever, but removing it is of course a better option.

SGS do offer an identification and removal service, but it's not going to be cheap and really seems to be aimed at commercial properties but they may be able to point you at a local contractor who will do a small job 

https://www.sgs.co.th/en/environment/air-noise-odor-and-vibration/laboratory-analysis/asbestos-identification

On a related front, my parent's place in the UK (assisted living flats) has an old boiler in the basement, asbestos insulation was identified. The cost to remove it was astronomical, the alternative solution proposed was to simply seal up that room.

• Like 1

Thai health and safety... remove an Asbestos ceiling with a hammer and likely not even a mask. Is it ignorance or do they just not care?

You might get away with it at the time but the latent effects of Asbestosis can return many years later and kill you.

• Like 1

3 types of asbestos blue the most hazardous used it train carriages heater lagging in the past brown not so much used and don't touch either of them and white in corrugated sheet form for roofs or flat panels when you remove it keep it wet "soaking" use a respirator avoid breaking it up hose and hover the area I spent 4 years removing all types mainly blue from trains and still alive 🤔 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

Are you 100% certain it contains asbestos? More likely to be 'Fiber Cement Board'.

This would be nice. The building is about 30 years old and a construction boss told me this is Aspestos and in the next sentence that they will use the hammer. I wished he is not right. 

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Are you quite sure that the ceiling material contains asbestos? (a lot has definitely been used in the past)

If it's not damaged and dropping dust it will remain safe (if painted) pretty much forever, but removing it is of course a better option.

SGS do offer an identification and removal service, but it's not going to be cheap and really seems to be aimed at commercial properties but they may be able to point you at a local contractor who will do a small job 

I will try to contact them. Perhaps they know someone here in Pattaya. But even if so you never know what you get... 

A picture may be a useful idea🤔

4 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

A picture may be a useful idea🤔

It is painted. One day a very small piece was removed. There where tiny fibers coming out at the edges where it was broken off. Didn't take a picture.

If it is asbestos I have always been told it is better to encase it rather than remove it.  Once you start smashing the asbestos the tiny fibers are released and remain to be breathed in.  You also have the problem of how to safely dispose it.  If encased it is sealed into place and does not release the dangerous fibers. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

If it is asbestos I have always been told it is better to encase it rather than remove it.  Once you start smashing the asbestos the tiny fibers are released and remain to be breathed in.  You also have the problem of how to safely dispose it.  If encased it is sealed into place and does not release the dangerous fibers. 

I have to remove it because otherwise pipes running there can't be reached. I am aware of the the dangers. The best thing is that I am above 60 and it will hopefully take some time to develop the deadliest of all lung cancers 😉

Just seal the room and let Somchai hammer away. They spray Paraquat day in day out in the rural areas. Not a problem. Health/Safety are just two words that mean nothing. 

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Thomas J said:

You also have the problem of how to safely dispose it. 

It will more than likely just go into landfill or be dumped on the side of the road as is most rubbish in Thailand.

• Like 2