TM28 and TM30

Hi everyone,

This has probably been covered here before but do Thai nationals have to register their address?

For example, if someone stays with me overnight or on vacation should they register and, if so, who with?!

Thanks for any useful information.

• Confused 1

If you are a Thai national and a foreigner comes to stay in your owned residence for more then 24h, then you should report his presence by filling out the TM30 form with your immigration office or police station.

The visiting person can report himself as well but should be handed the proper documents.

Although it was reported that the enforcement of this requirement can be different in each province.

Edited by LongTang

23 minutes ago, orientfan said:

Thank you for that. If you are a foreigner, legally (TM28 TM30) registered at a condo and and a Thai national comes to stay in your rented residence, what are your obligations?
Many thanks for any useful info.

None. You don’t not have to register a Thai national.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LongTang said:

If you are a Thai national and a foreigner comes to stay in your owned residence for more then 24h, then you should report his presence by filling out the TM30 form with your immigration office or police station.

The visiting person can report himself as well but should be handed the proper documents.

Although it was reported that the enforcement of this requirement can be different in each province.

So a foreigner doesn't have to report another foreigner if they stay at the 1st foreigners residence? Only if it's a Thai national having a foreigner stay?

44 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

So a foreigner doesn't have to report another foreigner if they stay at the 1st foreigners residence?

All foreigners must be reported to immigration. It does not matter if the owner is a foreigner or Thai. If the owner is a foreigner, he also must report himself.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LongTang said:

Its really sad to see how much Fear, uncertainty and doubt this whole 24hrs reporting is putting into people..

Is this why, along with the increase in retirement money, BJ got the boot?

Edited by MJKT2014

2 hours ago, MJKT2014 said:
6 hours ago, LongTang said:

Its really sad to see how much Fear, uncertainty and doubt this whole 24hrs reporting is putting into people..

I seriously doubt our concerns carry that sort of weight.  The increased workload on IOs may have been a factor, absent significant increased agent-revenue resulting from the effort - but likely some unrelated power-play within factions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, MJKT2014 said:

No.

Stricter enforcement of the reporting laws started long before BJ arrived, and is mostly a reaction to the Bangkok bombing.

Retirement money was not increased and I doubt if the new minimum balance requirement was anything to do with him; and it certainly isn’t a reason for booting him out.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 2

Just now, WorriedNoodle said:

Eh? I've now got to keep 400k in the bank all year around which was spending money before. If that's not an increase I don't know what is?

You have always needed 800K PLUS whatever you spend during the year. If you draw down the full 800K — as you suggest — you need to replace it prior to year two.

There is no increase!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

What documentation is required for a TM28 as I will be reporting myself, the owner lives abroad.

Owners don’t report using a TM.28. It’s for the foreigner to report a change of address. 

what is required to report a COA will vary between offices from nothing other than the form and passport to proof of address and/or a TM.30 specifically completed by the owner.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Owners don’t report using a TM.28. It’s for the foreigner to report a change of address. 

what is required to report a COA will vary between offices from nothing other than the form and passport to proof of address and/or a TM.30 specifically completed by the owner.

I am reporting TM 28 as I am returning to Thailand from the UK, I am not reporting a change of address. I have no idea how to contact the owner, I pay the rent via a Bank Transfer.

8 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I am reporting TM 28 as I am returning to Thailand from the UK, I am not reporting a change of address. I have no idea how to contact the owner, I pay the rent via a Bank Transfer.

It is a TM.30 that may, or may not, be required by your local office. And the office may, or may not, allow you — if a tenant — to complete the form as the possessor of the property.

12 hours ago, LongTang said:

As a sidenote, Its really sad to see how much Fear, uncertainty and doubt this whole 24hrs reporting is putting into people..

... and the number of threads the topic generates. They should start a separate forum just for TM30/TM28 questions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

... and the number of threads the topic generates. They should start a separate forum just for TM30/TM28 questions.

The problem for me every I.O even the individual I.O Officer interprets the rules and regulations differently, people have no idea until they turn up at the I.O. what is too expect or required.

This is also commonplace about the many Immigration rules and regulations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:

What a bizarre thing to say.

The INCREASE is from zero to 400k minimum balance for 7 months of the year, then an INCREASE from zero to 800k for another two months of year when comparing old vs new rules. The only thing that hasn't changed is the 800k THB for three months of the year.

From the point you first deposit 800K to applying for the second years extension you need to bring in 800K PLUS whatever you spend during the year. That is the same for the old and new rules.

Under the old rules you could drain the account to zero over 9 months, but would then need to bring in another 800K in time for the next extension. Total transfer to Thailand in 12 months is 1.6M baht.

Now you can only spend 400K before having to bring in more funds, but you still only need to bring in a maximum of 1.6M during the first year. Therefore, they have not increased anything.

The only potential decision now facing some retirees is when to bring in the funds.

3 hours ago, elviajero said:

You have always needed 800K PLUS whatever you spend during the year. If you draw down the full 800K — as you suggest — you need to replace it prior to year two.

There is no increase!

Bull -  Not necessarily Thai inspired, but when I used the income letter I didn't have to spend a dime other than my own living costs.  Now, I have to put about 26 thousand U.S.D. in a virtually non-interest bearing account and leave it in there until hell freezes over.  Alternatively, I can go to the trouble of depositing 65,000 Thai baht in my bank account every stinking month until hell freezes over.........so however you put it, there is an Increase in both time and money.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LongTang said:

That's not what was asked. 

It's amazing how quickly this went off  topic and off the question that was asked by the OP.

Thais do not need to report, in fact, Thais have no contact whatsoever with Immigration if they stay in country and dont deal with expats. Contrary to popular opinion among some expats, Thailand is not a Police State and Thais can and do move around without any issues. 

2 hours ago, TGIR said:

Bull -  Not necessarily Thai inspired, but when I used the income letter I didn't have to spend a dime other than my own living costs.  Now, I have to put about 26 thousand U.S.D. in a virtually non-interest bearing account and leave it in there until hell freezes over.  Alternatively, I can go to the trouble of depositing 65,000 Thai baht in my bank account every stinking month until hell freezes over.........so however you put it, there is an Increase in both time and money.

I was talking specifically about people using the 800K method.

Immigration have not changed the income rules. Some embassies stopped issuing income letters so immigration came up with an additional way to prove income. It’s an inconvenience for some — especially those faking applications — but it’s not immigrations doing, and they haven’t increased the financial requirements, which was the point I was responding to.

19 hours ago, elviajero said:

There is no increase!

That is not correct.  Before, you only needed 800K + 3 months spending money (which could be less than 65K/mo).  

Under the new rules, it's 800K + 5 mo spending money, just to cover the extended seasoning for the 800K, plus the 400K one can never touch.

This is a significant difference which is negatively affecting those who budgeted to retire here years ago.  Who would have guessed that immigration would trash their previous offer, and force them to either leave, or make annual pay-offs through an agent?

13 hours ago, elviajero said:

I was talking specifically about people using the 800K method.

Immigration have not changed the income rules. Some embassies stopped issuing income letters so immigration came up with an additional way to prove income. It’s an inconvenience for some — especially those faking applications — but it’s not immigrations doing, and they haven’t increased the financial requirements, which was the point I was responding to.

Immigration initiated the problem with the embassies which led to the removal of the letters - which were limiting the need for immigration's agent-partners for those who don't need to xfer 65K/mo here to live in this discount retirement destination - or meet the new bank-money rules.

Edited by JackThompson

14 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

That is not correct.  Before, you only needed 800K + 3 months spending money (which could be less than 65K/mo).  

Under the new rules, it's 800K + 5 mo spending money, just to cover the extended seasoning for the 800K, plus the 400K one can never touch.

This is a significant difference which is negatively affecting those who budgeted to retire here years ago.  Who would have guessed that immigration would trash their previous offer, and force them to either leave, or make annual pay-offs through an agent?

Or of course, instead of having to keep the 800/400k in the bank for longer periods plus having to also transfer extra living expenses, or having to pay high agent fees to (possibly) use the illegal route you could simply use the monthly income method and just transfer the 65k baht into Thailand each month. much simpler for us to do and easier for immigration to control.

That could well be what immigration would prefer us to do.